HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:46 PM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
992 Posts
Just be careful with the overall weight. A 4oz tank and a 750mAh battery should be enough, but digital servos might need more, I wouldn't know.

Tank positioning can be a little tricky to get right in an ARF, but rotation the engine 90 (cylinder horizontal) will lower the carb and put the exhaust conveniently below the fuselage too.

I'm working on a Zlin 50 and will do just that. With a Norvel .15 engine in the front I should get well below the recommended weight with electrics;
surfer_kris is offline Find More Posts by surfer_kris
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:13 PM
United States, NM, Holloman AFB
Joined Oct 2007
86 Posts
I like that exhaust outlet you made. I would love to see the finished product when you're done with it.

I currently have a .40 build I'm working on and my first time to cover a plane my self. But after that is done I plan on building the mini Pulse. I found a thread over on RCU and apparently I'm not the only person with the idea of converting the Pulse over to a small glow plane. Some people are using .25's but they state the .25 has too much power and is over-speeding the tail section causing it to flutter bad. So I think the .15 turning a 8x5 will do nicely.

On the battery, for the digital servo's I have to run a higher mah and a high discharge battery to keep everything happy. But the reason I picked the Avionics 1300 is because max continuous discharge is 39amps which more than enough for these servo's and the battery only weighs in at 3oz; which is lighter than a 4.8 NiMh of much smaller capacity. They have even smaller batteries that are lighter if you need to save weight and your servos are rated to 6v then I highly suggest them. I've been using their 4100mah on my prized AeroWorks Edge 540 with 5 high output digital servos and without issue. The battery is made by Team Orion which is huge in the buggy racing scene; and now they are developing light weight high discharge batteries for us airplane guys.
F16DCC is offline Find More Posts by F16DCC
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:20 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
992 Posts
I haven't seen any reason to leave NiMh yet. Whenever I make the math they still seem to be competitive and you get the convenience of not having to babysit them while charging. The only downside is the self-discharge, as I see it.

For example, you can get a Sanyo 1000mah (NiMH, 4xAAA, 4.8volt) that weights 1.95 oz or an Elite 1500mAh (NiMH, 4x2/3A, 4.8v) battery that weights 3.5 oz.
surfer_kris is offline Find More Posts by surfer_kris