HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2014, 01:19 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
OK so finally after moving and getting married and starting yet some more studies, I have had some time to work on the Biplane again.

I got started on the cabane struts. I constructed them from Aluminium strips that I had lying around. I bolted the cabane struts to the fuse using 2mm bolts. I use 2mm ply wood as backing and strengthening to hold the bolts in place. I still need to cut the bolts to size. The cross support on the cabane struts have been glued in place using super glue but this is only temporary as they too will be bolted in place. I have also completed the trailing edge balsa sheeting on the top wing and I cut and attached the tabs to which the rear cabane struts will be fixed. The tabs were cut from 2mm ply. The cabane struts will be removed, disassembled and painted before final installation. This will be done once the top wing is complete and can be mounted.

Total hours: 70
Riaandt is offline Find More Posts by Riaandt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2014, 01:55 PM
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
I completed the top wing leading edge balsa sheeting using 1.5mm balsa. Installed the Front and rear Cabane strut wing mounts. The mounts are made from 2mm ply. Drilled all the necessary holes for the Cabane struts and bolted them together. I completed all the rib caps for the top wing using 1.5mm balsa. I installed the Wing strut mount tabs in the bottom wing. Wing strut mounts were made from 2mm ply.

Total time: 73 hours 37 minutes
Old Jan 20, 2014, 01:47 PM
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
Ok, so I have sanded down the top wing using 220 grit sanding paper. I have also added the trailing edge spacer that sits between the ailerons. I had to fill a few small gaps with filler so I have left the filler to dry. I only need to sand the trailing edge and then I am ready to cover the wing. You may notice that I did not build servo trays into the top wing. I have decided to link the bottom wing and top wing ailerons together and drive all four ailerons using the servo's installed in the bottom wing. I have also cut and sanded the leading edge on the top wing ailerons. Since I could not find the correct thickness triangle balsa for the ailerons I still need to sand the ailerons down to the correct thickness and cut them to size.

Total Time: 76 Hours 45 Minutes
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:20 AM
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
I sanded the top wing to a nice smooth finish and then started to cover the wing. I only had enough covering film to cover the bottom half of the top wing. I will have to pop around to the HS before I can continue. The next thing in line is to sand the fuse and get it ready for covering.

Total Time: 78 Hours 12 Minutes
Old Feb 02, 2014, 04:09 AM
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
I cut the bottom wing ailerons to their final size. Sanded them to their final finish for covering and then covered them. I hinged the ailerons using Robart 308 Steel Pin Hinges.

Total time: 80 Hours 22 Minutes
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:41 AM
Joined May 2012
8 Posts
c.g.

Hi guy, the right c.g. of this model is located at the middle of the upper wing, you can see full images of this model in my web site phil76aeromodel.jimdo.com
asso22000 is offline Find More Posts by asso22000
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:21 AM
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asso22000 View Post
Hi guy, the right c.g. of this model is located at the middle of the upper wing, you can see full images of this model in my web site phil76aeromodel.jimdo.com
'

Thanks for the info. Wow, you build very nice models. I wish I could build as tidy as you
Old Mar 18, 2014, 06:30 AM
Joined May 2012
8 Posts
Thank you very much, my ultimate has a 140 cm. wingspan, I did the test flight on Saturday and I must say that it has a realistic flight and precise aerobatics .Early, there was the flight video on my website, bye
Old May 25, 2014, 03:48 AM
Joined May 2012
8 Posts
here there is the video of my ultimate
ultimate 140 (3 min 45 sec)
Old May 27, 2014, 09:27 AM
CAP smasher
GA,USA
Joined Jul 2010
212 Posts
Wow, you did a fantastic job and ended up with a beautiful plane. Nice work!!

But everyone knows that Ultimates are supposed to be blue (just kidding)

Chris
compressor man is offline Find More Posts by compressor man