HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:32 PM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2005
1,038 Posts
Rant
Why do SOME (not all) Atheists/Agnostics have to screw it up for others?

Hawaiian high school told to cancel charity event

Is it small-mindedness, hatefulness, or a combo of both? Due to ONE person complaining, a traditional concert held by this high school has been cancelled, four days before it was to be held.

This concert has to date raised over $200,000 to benefit poor people in Africa, with most of it going to Mercy Ships, a non-profit organization that provides free medical care to poor Africans regardless of tribe, gender, religion or whatever else you can think of. Organizers don't think they can get a new venue before the deadline.

And why did Mr. I-can't-let-anyone-do-anything-nice-for-others do this? Because one of the groups that helps sell tickets is a church.

So, TYVM Mr. Mitch Kahle, you had to it up for everyone else.
Twizter68 is offline Find More Posts by Twizter68
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:48 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
I don't believe but could care less about this petty stuff these Athiests get worked up over.
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:17 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
Ohh boo hoo. It's all the atheist fault is it? Who is it that's breaking the rules? Who is it that insist on flaunting their religion instead of just focusing on raising the money for good deeds?

Dont mention church, only sing Holliday songs that don't mention deities, and the show will go on. No one told them they needed to shut the whole thing down.

Theist seem to love when the rules are enforced in their favor.. ie: the loads of religeon based vice and lifestyle laws that "ruin it" for all the people unwillingly caught in the wake of religious intolerance.... like alcohol laws, drug laws, no recognition of gay marriage, sodomy laws, prostitution laws, ECT...

yet when asked to play by the rules themselves this is what we get.... until theist get out of everyone else's business I'll keep playing my worlds smallest violin when stuff like this happens.

Yes, it sucks that there will be 30k less dollars going to charity, however I don't see it as the sole fault of the athiest of this story.
AustinTatious is offline Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:21 AM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
Joined Dec 2005
1,038 Posts
Actually, yes, someone (the school board) told them to cancel it after Kahle threatened to sue. The only ones who are going to be hurt by this are the recipients of Mercy Ships aid.

But you atheists got your way so that makes it okay...
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:25 AM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizter68 View Post
Actually, yes, someone (the school board) told them to cancel it after Kahle threatened to sue. The only ones who are going to be hurt by this are the recipients of Mercy Ships aid.

But you atheists got your way so that makes it okay...
and who told the school board to shut it down? The atheist didn't threaten to sue because they were having a charitable event, he threatened to sue because of a tax payer funded government entity engaging in non secular activity. it was the school board that decided that since it couldn't be a Christian affair they would shut the whole thing down.

if they are doing nothing wrong, why are they afraid of a lawsuit? of do you want to suspend the rules for them?
AustinTatious is offline Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:15 AM
Smoke & Fire
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Jun 2001
215 Posts
Because this is what atheists do
Naja Kaouthia is offline Find More Posts by Naja Kaouthia
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:25 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintQytRite View Post
Because this is what atheists do
Not quite accurate. This is what atheists that are do.
saltyzoo is online now Find More Posts by saltyzoo
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:32 AM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyzoo View Post
Not quite accurate. This is what atheists that are do.
This one.

But why didn't the school board just tell them to shove it?

I am no Christian, but I would have told them to wind their necks in and gone ahead with the gig.

I used to love sitting in the local church every year and listening to the children (my daughters included) doing the school christmas carol service.
Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:10 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
This one.

But why didn't the school board just tell them to shove it?

I am no Christian, but I would have told them to wind their necks in and gone ahead with the gig.

I used to love sitting in the local church every year and listening to the children (my daughters included) doing the school christmas carol service.
Fear of the legal system and the associated expenses.
saltyzoo is online now Find More Posts by saltyzoo
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:46 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,706 Posts
This is not surprising at all. Everybody knows that atheists hate poor Africans
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:21 AM
Joined Jan 2005
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyzoo View Post
Fear of the legal system and the associated expenses.
I would have still told them to shove it.
And told them that if they were so worried obout the tax payer, maybe they should butt out and save the tax payer the expense of a lawsuit.

Sometimes you have to take a stand against stupidity.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:22 AM
Joined Jan 2005
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins View Post
This is not surprising at all. Everybody knows that atheists hate poor Africans
No, only those that are religious.

Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:34 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,706 Posts
Seems racist really
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:04 AM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
Joined Dec 2005
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTatious View Post
and who told the school board to shut it down? The atheist didn't threaten to sue because they were having a charitable event, he threatened to sue because of a tax payer funded government entity engaging in non secular activity. it was the school board that decided that since it couldn't be a Christian affair they would shut the whole thing down.

if they are doing nothing wrong, why are they afraid of a lawsuit? of do you want to suspend the rules for them?
The school board caved to the threat of a lawsuit. And, NO, it was not a non-secular activity. The charities that have been supported are not religious in nature. The issue was that one of the major supporters happened to be a church.

Can't have that...might start polluting someones mind with thoughts of doing unto others what you would have them do unto you and all that...
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:08 AM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
Joined Dec 2005
1,038 Posts
Last year there was a woman who tried to get the city council to ban Christmas on the square (A local celebration by businesses and churches)...when word got out, there was enough public outcry that she was politely told if it offended her, to stay away from the square when it was going on. She did not try again this year.