Old Jun 30, 2011, 03:13 PM
Joined Dec 2008
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
I just got two 2200 Sky Lipos. According to my scale:

25C = 184 grams
40C = 194 grams

Tried the 25C for the first time today. About six minutes in the air before I quit. FWIW, I didn't notice any loss of power towards the end, nor any performance difference from the stock 25C battery. (Which also weighs 184g.)

Haven't tried the 40C yet.

Dave
Dave, I checked HobbyPartz and the only 25C 3s Sky lipo that I could find listed is a 2650mah.

Bob
thinman is offline Find More Posts by thinman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2011, 03:41 PM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRF201 View Post
Question for the great F-27Q owners:

I just finished mine and it is nose heavy with a skylipo 3s 2200 pack, is anybody else's F-27Q nose heavy?

Thanks!

VRF201 (Roy)

Big time. I really noticed how much since I do 85% of my flying inverted.

I moved the esc back a 1/2". Cut off the 2 foam nubs that were just ahead of the esc and what the battery backed up to. This enabled me to move the batt back a half inch.

Aint tested her yet but I hope this moves the CG far enough back such that I don't have to hold so much down elevator when inverted.
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Old Jun 30, 2011, 03:49 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killowatt View Post
...I really like the APC 7x5 sport cut down 1"

Killo, a question:

So the stock prop is 6x6, right? Then you took a 7x5 sport and cut it down to a 6x5 sport, right?

So you went from 6x6 to 6x5; but did you test the 7x5 uncut first?? Seems like a flatter cut prop, while helping the vertical, etc, would cause quite a penalty to the top-end?
Old Jun 30, 2011, 03:50 PM
Flying is Fun.Even if U Crash!
Australia, VIC, Ringwood
Joined Jul 2010
438 Posts
Mmmmmmmm!

Hi guys,

Well I pickup one of these last Friday, I have had time to get some flights out of her before.....

The ESC's failed on launch!

She just got in the air and the esc's totally died... She came down on her tail! .....

Both tails a bit messed up.... And tested the plane with another esc fine.... I've got a few PZ birds... First esc failure .... But I've been reading of a few problems in this thread of others who have had problems with the 40 amp esc? Yes? The hint here guys is the motor may make an odd knocking noise... It did this for me, but before I could bring her down, it died.

But anyhow, I not had any lunching problems... But I do power on ones.... As I do with the F-27C....no problems here for me.

Yes faster than the old C.... But more robust? Not so sure about this.... The rudders are the ones that will get hurt the most I think. But I like the extra moves you can do with her... The spins on hi rates are crazy!

So the LH shop is telling me they need to send away my esc.... one week old and 4 flights on her! Not too happy!

Regs Chris
Claydoc is offline Find More Posts by Claydoc
Old Jun 30, 2011, 05:15 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
Killo, a question:

So the stock prop is 6x6, right? Then you took a 7x5 sport and cut it down to a 6x5 sport, right?

So you went from 6x6 to 6x5; but did you test the 7x5 uncut first?? Seems like a flatter cut prop, while helping the vertical, etc, would cause quite a penalty to the top-end?
I've played around with both a cut down7X5E-prop, and an uncut 7X5 sport prop in addition to stock. Both APC props have heaps more thrust and vertical, don't really lose out on top end as much as you would think, perhaps 5mph at most, ut it gets there so much faster that you can fly much faster in smaller areas. Props are not the same pitch all the way across, inboard is a bit steeper than at the tips, so cutting down a 7X5 gets about a 6X5.5. There is also the matter of efficiency, you have a 6X6 prop that has an efflux speed around 140mph, the 7X5 should be around 120mph, so both top speeds are limited more by drag than thrust speed as is the case with most faster models. They do turn faster at higher speeds being the incoming air is already moving quickly, and tend to be more efficient at a certain speed range. For me at least, the stock prop drains batteries a bit less than the others when flying mostly WOT, however slow dow, run 1/2 throttle and fly aerobatics, and the 7X5 and cut down 6X5 have a lot more thrust and so you don't need to goose the throttle as much to maintain speed, and they help extend battery life. A 7X4 would slow efflux enough that it may have a considerably lower top speed than the others, running a 4S at a much higher RPM will get you a lot more speed. For me at least the 7X5 sport prop uncut is within 5mph of stock, very little difference in battery useage or heat, but has about 40% more static thrust for only about 75 more watts/5-8A draw compared to stock.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Jun 30, 2011, 05:20 PM
ChangeBegins AtTheDinnerTable
Raleigh , N.C.
Joined Jun 2006
422 Posts
Quote:
Killo, a question:

Correct on all Questions , I did fly it with the 7x5 sport un cut the top speed suffered -10mph or so ( i have no way of actually measuring speed just my own observations) the amp draw on the un-cut 7x5 was about 45 and the motor and speedy came down around 130 degrees , hand launching was effortless !goobs of thrust ...

The cut down 7x5 seems to be the best middle road for me , better vertical better thrust , and only a little less top speed (again imho) ...I did get to run it side by side with another Q with the stock prop and his was a little faster but not a ton , i could out climb him easily , hand launch easier plus better acceleration.. it draws 40 amps and the motor and speedy come down around 110-115 ..on a 95 degree day ...
killowatt is offline Find More Posts by killowatt
Old Jun 30, 2011, 05:32 PM
RC Flying Rules!
Winchester, VA.
Joined Feb 2004
214 Posts
Thinman,

According to scale 6.65oz or 189grams.
Size 105.6mm long, 25.8mm high, 34.6mm wide.
Battery is rated on package 3s 2200mah at 25-35c

Notice in order to take out some nose down, need to add about 1oz to the rear.

Vrf201 (roy)
VRF201 is offline Find More Posts by VRF201
Old Jun 30, 2011, 06:05 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claydoc View Post
Hi guys,

Well I pickup one of these last Friday, I have had time to get some flights out of her before.....

The ESC's failed on launch!

She just got in the air and the esc's totally died... She came down on her tail! .....

Both tails a bit messed up.... And tested the plane with another esc fine.... I've got a few PZ birds... First esc failure .... But I've been reading of a few problems in this thread of others who have had problems with the 40 amp esc? Yes? The hint here guys is the motor may make an odd knocking noise... It did this for me, but before I could bring her down, it died.

But anyhow, I not had any lunching problems... But I do power on ones.... As I do with the F-27C....no problems here for me.

Yes faster than the old C.... But more robust? Not so sure about this.... The rudders are the ones that will get hurt the most I think. But I like the extra moves you can do with her... The spins on hi rates are crazy!

So the LH shop is telling me they need to send away my esc.... one week old and 4 flights on her! Not too happy!

Regs Chris
I would of called horizon and they would of sent you a new esc. and also replace the tails for you. Horizon has the best service i had ever delt with in this hobby. I have never had any issues with them. They would of had the new parts to you in less than a week. Good luck.
Eric
eschult is offline Find More Posts by eschult
Old Jun 30, 2011, 06:08 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,119 Posts
Alternate Prop Reviews

Alucard, Killo,

Both good reviews...thanks. I have two 7x5 sports coming to the lhs tomorrow. I think what I'll do is what each of you did: fly one uncut, then maybe cut the other one down maybe 3/4" to start (can always cut down a bit more as or if needed).

Ok, tell me this: my timer's set at 6:30, with about 60% WOT and the balance cruise/ glide/ etc. Does either the uncut or cut 7x5 sport offer even small improvements to flt time duration (again assuming 60%WOT/40% cruise)?
Old Jun 30, 2011, 07:10 PM
Fly it like you stole it!
USA, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jun 2009
832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschult View Post
I would of called horizon and they would of sent you a new esc. and also replace the tails for you. Horizon has the best service i had ever delt with in this hobby. I have never had any issues with them. They would of had the new parts to you in less than a week. Good luck.
Eric
Agree... they've sent me completely new planes no questions asks if one of there installed electronics malfunctioned. Best customer service in the business for sure.
chevypower1930 is offline Find More Posts by chevypower1930
Old Jun 30, 2011, 07:40 PM
Indiana
Joined Feb 2007
574 Posts
Apc 7x6

I tested an APC 7X6 Sport uncut prop and pulled 56.5 amps 646 Watts static.
will try cutting it down and re-test tomorrow.
The stock prop and gear pulled 43 amps at 501 Watts static
rsmheli is offline Find More Posts by rsmheli
Old Jun 30, 2011, 07:58 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
906 Posts
Quote:
Alucard, Killo,

Both good reviews...thanks. I have two 7x5 sports coming to the lhs tomorrow. I think what I'll do is what each of you did: fly one uncut, then maybe cut the other one down maybe 3/4" to start (can always cut down a bit more as or if needed).

Ok, tell me this: my timer's set at 6:30, with about 60% WOT and the balance cruise/ glide/ etc. Does either the uncut or cut 7x5 sport offer even small improvements to flt time duration (again assuming 60%WOT/40% cruise)?
At the same throttle setting, the 7X5 uses more power than the stock 6X6, not by a lot, but about 50 more mah per minute. It saves battery because it accelerates much quicker, and has better low end, so you don't need to hold WOT as long to get to top speed, or to pull vertical for loops and spins. If you fly at 1/2 throttle on the stock prop, you need to keep bumping more throttle to keep the speed up in turns and vertical, the 7X5 keeps pushing at 1/2 throttle, so you can do the same moves slower without stalling. It still depends on your flying style to a great degree, stay WOT, and you will lose 60-90 seconds of flight time with the 7X5, but fly slower, do more gliding down from higher elevations, or fly in a smaller space with more turns, and the difference is eliminated ot even can give a little bit of an edge to the 7X5 in battery life.

I'm still looking for the Graupner 6.5X6 and 6.5X6.5, I think they may be even better than the 7X5APC, while matching or increasing top speed relative to the stock prop. I did speed runs when I first got it, but now do mostly stunts, most of which benefit greatly from more thrust, still do the occasional upright or inverted WOT pass, a hair slower than stock, but still exciting, and more than worth the tradeoff in greater thrust. Then again I like 3D and big aerobatics, I was one of the first to swap a 12X6 on my PKZ Extra300 and 13X4 on my CZ Yak, in fact most of my planes are slower than stock, but I like to point it up, and have it head for the sky like a missle rather than do a fast horizontal pass.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Jun 30, 2011, 08:28 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
I like to point it up, and have it head for the sky like a missle rather than do a fast horizontal pass.

Bingo... and +1 on that.

For fast horiz passes, I have my FJ...which would smoke the Q.

But then the FJ aint got rudders

Good stuff....7x5 it is!!

Cheers
Jeff
Old Jun 30, 2011, 08:47 PM
Every flight is a maiden!
USA, CA, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2007
880 Posts
I just assembled my F27Q, it went together fast and easy. The CG didn't work out right, it was nose heavy. So, I oriented the BnF lipo with the wires forward and set the lipo as far aft as it would go. When I set the Velcro straps I made sure to pull the battery leads as far aft as I could. The CG balanced perfectly...

I'll find out for sure tomorrow. I'm excited about this plane. Finally I have a plane I can fly in any kind of wind.
johnm15141 is offline Find More Posts by johnm15141
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:10 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,281 Posts
4s Nano Tech 1800 35c on the stock prop/motor is the best setup for me. There is no speed loss only speed gained and there is thrust lost either only gained. 51amps and 770 watts. The motor is only just barely warm. Plus it weighs basically the same as my Turnigy 3s 40c 2200.

Cutting down a prop is fine..... I've done it before in a bind, but it'll draw more amps than a regular size prop. A 7x5 cut down to 6x5 will draw more amps than a true 6x5. I'm not saying it doesn't work, but it's less efficient.

With no load 3s turns 24,420RPM while 4s would turn 32,560.

With the stock motor/prop on 4s I have completly unlimited vertical and my speed has increased by at least 10mph and probably more like 15mph. I know most of us have several 3s 2200's laying around and we're always looking for more performance. While cutting down the might get you the performance you're looking for it's doing so at the expense of a higher amp load.

I'm drawing 6 less amps and pushing the watts up by almost 130 watts.
To each his own.
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge