HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:52 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfitzsim View Post
I let the same guy with the champ fly my t-28 and it was up in the air for about 10 seconds before he handed me the controller unable to keep the thing under control.

So track your doing great. Just keep flying.
My son can fly the champ with no issues. The UM T-28 on the other hand is a dangerous weapon when he's at the helm
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:56 PM
Joined Feb 2011
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
HAHA I was thinking the same thing. Nobody talks on the beast maiden.. it's more about concentration and trying not to crash

Here's a typical beast maiden:

1. Perform checks.
2. Double check plane and tx/rx.
3. Triple check..
4. Deep breath..
5. Launch.
6. ..
7. .. (only 10 seconds pass)
8. ..
9. ..
10. Frantically look for place to land 10-20 seconds after launching it.
11. Hard nose over on landing in grass, chalk that one up as successful that it's still in one piece.
12. Wonder if you should push your luck and try to fly it again

For only two flights you did awesome with the UM T-28. Keep it up, I've seen people still not able to fly the UM T-28 like you did even after 10+ flights.

My maiden was more like this:
1. Perform checks
2. Line up and Take off
3. Fly around for a few minutes shocked as to how fast and responsive it is.
4. Sh*t a brick trying to figure out how I'm going to land the thing.
5. Try to line up for the runway and blew it long by about 20 feet(came in fast).
6. Circled back around and flopped it into the grass and was shocked it was on the ground in only 2 pieces(spinner fell off).
dfitzsim is offline Find More Posts by dfitzsim
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:59 PM
Joined Feb 2011
66 Posts
Quote:
My son can fly the champ with no issues. The UM T-28 on the other hand is a dangerous weapon when he's at the helm
My son can fly my night vapor no problem but the t-28 he's crashed it almost as much as I have. ha ha

My crashes have been mostly me doing stupid stuff like inverted 4 feet off the street when the power went out. Nose dived straight into the pavement and split my fuse in half. ha ha
dfitzsim is offline Find More Posts by dfitzsim
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:19 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
925 Posts
Hi..

checked my Beast after many flights and sometimes hard landings
Ailertons had play...saw the axis from the servo moving forward/back and pushed the little black thing (tube ?) in servo direction back to reduce the play.
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Aug 10, 2011, 04:30 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Can it be that it was all so simple then...

*snip!*

...the way we were

I feel your pain brah...
(but...really now....Streisand???

Wayyyy back when I was young (in RC years), I started out by flying those little Estes differential thrust craft (the yellow ones, I forget the name now)...started slope thermaling one behind a local school...well...you can guess...yup...with no real control, it thermaled awlright...up up and away...lost somewhere in the junipers on slope...had to console myself that maybe some middle school kid would find it, and start a lifelong interest in aircraft because of it (rather than Nintendo or drugs or whatever) But that one wuz only $30.

FEDUP is *still* showing no movement...so my wee Beasties' got to be almost here...and they just haven't updated the status. (right?)

Bud, back from mini-vacay w/ da bluesy blues Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Aug 10, 2011, 04:49 PM
Experienced R/C Repairman
Three Oaks, Michigan
Joined Sep 2003
2,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloKid View Post
about to pull mine out of storage, whats the preferred place to get batteries for it online? Are 240's still whats recommended?
I flew mine with 240s but they felt heavy when landing.

I have 180s on order which seem to be a better all around choice.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13130128380111
barnyardflyer is online now Find More Posts by barnyardflyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2011, 04:57 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92PathSE View Post

Compare the commentary between that video and the Beast video. You weren't saying much while flying the Beast. lol
Good catch!

It's hard to speak when your tongue is getting bitten between clenched jaws!
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Aug 10, 2011, 05:27 PM
Park Stormer
United States, NJ, Brooklawn
Joined Jul 2008
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Nope, it was gone from the tree, and the park people claim no one turned anything in.

Chalk it up to experience.....

It sucks loosing a plane in a tree. Happened to my Beast last week.

I brought her out to the park earlier that day and got my confidence up, especially in slow flight, so I decided to go on the front lawn that evening. Well, after a hard landing, I did a quick overview, and things seemed find, so I sent her back up, and stared practicing outside loops.

That's when the problems started. I suddenly found I couldn't break out of the loop, and the plane was drifting across the street, further and further away (now a good 50 yards out, orientation is becoming difficult, compounded by flying at dusk to begin with. It's feeling like when I push forward, she over pitches down, and when I pull back, she over corrects up. It was like pilot induced oscillations that would violently swing into outside and inside loops. As she drifted further away, I realized my last resort would simply be having to power down and hope for the best. She glid right into a tree and that was that.

My theory is that either the battery shifted in flight (causing a catastrophic CG shift), or an aileron horn got hung up.

oh well, her replacement is here now
AggressorBLUE is offline Find More Posts by AggressorBLUE
Old Aug 10, 2011, 05:27 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfitzsim View Post
My maiden was more like this:
1. Perform checks
2. Line up and Take off
3. Fly around for a few minutes shocked as to how fast and responsive it is.
4. Sh*t a brick trying to figure out how I'm going to land the thing.
5. Try to line up for the runway and blew it long by about 20 feet(came in fast).
6. Circled back around and flopped it into the grass and was shocked it was on the ground in only 2 pieces(spinner fell off).
My maiden was much easier. It wasn't my first 4ch plane so it actually was pretty easy.
1. Perform checks
2. very short rog and up high fast.
3. Trimmed the plane out
4. big grin on my face
5 started doing touch and goes
6. nice smooth landing (rare as there is usually wind)

Next flights were pretty much the same except nice long full power take offs. You could litterly not touch anything other than full power and it would lift about 2 inches off the ground and stay on that heading till you did something. Best taxi and touch and go plane ever! The only thing I had that was easier than that was my old gws tiger moth. you could cut the power completely to it and glide it to the landing spot with no worries of tip stalls ever. But of course, it was a 3ch plane. To me the t-28 is without a doubt, the best aileron trainer on the market today!
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Aug 10, 2011, 05:31 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggressorBLUE View Post
It sucks loosing a plane in a tree. Happened to my Beast last week.

I brought her out to the park earlier that day and got my confidence up, especially in slow flight, so I decided to go on the front lawn that evening. Well, after a hard landing, I did a quick overview, and things seemed find, so I sent her back up, and stared practicing outside loops.

That's when the problems started. I suddenly found I couldn't break out of the loop, and the plane was drifting across the street, further and further away (now a good 50 yards out, orientation is becoming difficult, compounded by flying at dusk to begin with. It's feeling like when I push forward, she over pitches down, and when I pull back, she over corrects up. It was like pilot induced oscillations that would violently swing into outside and inside loops. As she drifted further away, I realized my last resort would simply be having to power down and hope for the best. She glid right into a tree and that was that.

My theory is that either the battery shifted in flight (causing a catastrophic CG shift), or an aileron horn got hung up.

oh well, her replacement is here now
If it was an aileron, it would have been in a spin. More than likely, from the sounds of it, was a dramatic cg shift, if not then it sounds like your elevator might have gotten hung up.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Aug 10, 2011, 05:50 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
yup
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Old Aug 10, 2011, 06:23 PM
Today's forecast: Summer
United States, GA
Joined Apr 2011
245 Posts
Note to self: don't fly in the cul-de-sac anymore. There's not enough room.
92PathSE is offline Find More Posts by 92PathSE
Old Aug 10, 2011, 06:26 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92PathSE View Post
Note to self: don't fly in the cul-de-sac anymore. There's not enough room.
At first I never thought I'd ever be able to fly the champ safety on my street.. then I was able to. Then I never thought I'd be able to fly the UM T-28 on my street. Then I was able to. Then I thought I'd never be able to fly the beast safely on my street. I still think this
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Aug 10, 2011, 06:27 PM
Its not that windy...
United States, CA, PORTER RANCH
Joined May 2007
1,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by telos81 View Post
Cool!!

I just did that and it works great! (I love the servo monitor screen don't even have to turn on the plane!)

Although, what is the offset? I'm not sure what that means?...
It tilts the ailerons a little bit before hand like trim, it's not really necessary, but I saw that it helped me hit all the end points. Play with it yourself, it might help, it might not, it definitely isn't a required thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
My maiden was much easier. It wasn't my first 4ch plane so it actually was pretty easy.
1. Perform checks
2. very short rog and up high fast.
3. Trimmed the plane out
4. big grin on my face
5 started doing touch and goes
6. nice smooth landing (rare as there is usually wind)

Next flights were pretty much the same except nice long full power take offs. You could litterly not touch anything other than full power and it would lift about 2 inches off the ground and stay on that heading till you did something. Best taxi and touch and go plane ever! The only thing I had that was easier than that was my old gws tiger moth. you could cut the power completely to it and glide it to the landing spot with no worries of tip stalls ever. But of course, it was a 3ch plane. To me the t-28 is without a doubt, the best aileron trainer on the market today!
I had pretty much the same experience, between my learning on my full-size T-28 and crashing the 4-site more times than I can count, all that was different this time was the size and speed.

What's kind of annoying for me though is that I can't fly it unless there's direct sunlight to reflect against the plane. Without the sun, the contrast between the bottom and the top colors isn't all that different. I almost crashed quite a few times, of course, this was almost
aerosoardude is offline Find More Posts by aerosoardude
Last edited by aerosoardude; Aug 10, 2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Extended post
Old Aug 10, 2011, 06:31 PM
Today's forecast: Summer
United States, GA
Joined Apr 2011
245 Posts
Quote:
At first I never thought I'd ever be able to fly the champ safety on my street.. then I was able to. Then I never thought I'd be able to fly the UM T-28 on my street. Then I was able to. Then I thought I'd never be able to fly the beast safely on my street. I still think this
lol My two broken props agree. 1st broken prop was during a post-flight taxi when it hit something an nosed over. 2nd was just now when I crashed while showing off/avoiding the trees. No major damage other than the broken props and some glue that's coming loose, which may have caused the 2nd crash.
92PathSE is offline Find More Posts by 92PathSE