SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 16, 2015, 07:05 PM
Find More Posts by Turner2
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,761 Posts
Try spoilerons first. Flaperons with full length ailerons will give very little warning of an impending stall.
Turner2 is online now Find More Posts by Turner2
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2015, 08:21 AM
Find More Posts by ehskds
Now you see it...
United States, KY, Henderson
Joined Feb 2006
487 Posts
I've tried it and to be honest your really just going to land it hot. Nature of the beast. This plane simply does not like to slow down.
ehskds is offline Find More Posts by ehskds
Old May 17, 2015, 09:25 AM
Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
3,249 Posts
Thanks for input and I carried out a very successful maiden flight today. It's quite a rapid aircraft, even with my modest 1175 Watts of power, but at least it's well mannered and from the first flight I can see that the CG needs to moved further back as the factory recommendation is slightly too far forward for my taste. Spins aren't flat enough, there's some coupling in knife edge and it pulls out of dive by itself, all indicators that the CG is very 'safe' as recommended. The Revolver slows down ok in the circuit, especially with a head wind, but once in ground effect it just floats on, and on.......and on! But all was ok and a good, if long landing was successfully carried out.
The second flight was, how shall we say,
short, very short! Upon gradual application of full throttle the motor, complete with bulkhead tore itself off the fuselage with the instant termination of the flight just as the wheels cleared the runway. Initially I thought the wind had gusted lifting one wing tip, but it was the instant lack of torque reaction as the motor mount let go that put the Revolver on it's roof. Damage is thankfully limited to a partially detached rudder, a single hairline crack to the cowl, and a broken prop. I got away extremely lightly all things considered, but when I examined the motor mount it had hardly any glue holding it in place, but more to the point, none of the black laser cutting residue had been cleaned off prior to assembly in the factory. I think this is a potentially a lethal mistake because it could have let go at a far more detrimental time possibly injuring someone. If there are any reps from Great Planes looking in, please take note!
The repair is already a work in process, but due to work commitments it'll be a couple of weeks before I can give the Revolver another outing.
Oh, I nearly forgot, I tried some flapperon and it made no discernible difference to the slower speed envelope of the plane, and spoilerons simply caused it to sink at a faster rate, again with no perceptible reduction in forward speed so I'll leave it 'as is' and just put up with the long landings.
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old May 20, 2015, 10:50 AM
Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
3,249 Posts
I've managed to steal some off work time to initiate repairs and so far I've cleaned and re-installed the front bulkhead, carefully lining up the thrust angles and using copious amounts of epoxy and clamps to hold it all in place! I've also added some 1/4" triangular balsa reinforcing strip to the rear of the motor box as can be seen in the photo. Also, a quick run up of the Hacker has confirmed that the prop shaft still runs true.
Cowl repair and rudder re-attachment still to go.
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing