Old Mar 29, 2015, 02:00 PM
Find More Posts by wyldkrd
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,840 Posts
Discussion
Arizona Electric Festival 2016

I know it's early but thought it would be good to get a thread going for the next AEF. I will be CD for the 2016 event and will be looking for volunteers in a number areas. There will some changes that I will go in to more detail in future posts. The goal is to restore the luster of this event and I think everyone involved shares this. You are welcome to contact me if you have any questions. Looking forward to AEF 2016!

Shannon Gallagher
wyldkrd is online now Find More Posts by wyldkrd
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2015, 04:40 PM
Find More Posts by greenseaships
Registered Airplane Offender
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
5,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldkrd View Post
I know it's early but thought it would be good to get a thread going for the next AEF. I will be CD for the 2016 event and will be looking for volunteers in a number areas. There will some changes that I will go in to more detail in future posts. The goal is to restore the luster of this event and I think everyone involved shares this. You are welcome to contact me if you have any questions. Looking forward to AEF 2016!

Shannon Gallagher
Only one thing concerns me at this point, Shannon-

Keeping Thursday even if it means dropping Sunday! 'Cause all the visitor's are usually gone by Sunday. Dropping Thursday would make it pretty much a 2 day event.
greenseaships is online now Find More Posts by greenseaships
Last edited by greenseaships; Mar 29, 2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 05:40 PM
Find More Posts by swarick
Stay Thirsty My Friends
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2005
2,458 Posts
Friday, Saturday, Sunday is good for me
swarick is online now Find More Posts by swarick
Old Mar 30, 2015, 01:42 PM
Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
18,424 Posts
Shannon,

Can you post a list of what volunteers you need? I did Vendor Coordinator one year, and I would be open to possibly doing something else this coming year.

PS: Thur-Sat or Fri-Sun is good for me either way. And looking forward to see when it will be scheduled next year.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Apr 01, 2015, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,840 Posts
Here are the highlights for 2016 AEF. Dates are TENTATIVE at this time.
3-day event: Fri-Sun
Late January-Early/Mid February-working around major events/holidays and weather
Participant pizza party and Night fly on Saturday

$30 per pilot fee- pre or day of registration same price.
RC Flight Deck for registration and event management
Pilot goodie bag-based on donations from vendors/sponsors

Noon show 45min- including heli time, gaggles and slow stick combat
Heli/Quad friendly-limited FPV- 3 set times including part of noon show.

Awards:
Best Scale Military Jet
Best Scale Military Prop/warbird
Best Scale Civilian (Jet or prop)
Slow stick combat winner

No pilot only raffle
Open raffle-Limited prizes-choose which one(s) you want to buy tickets for.
AZ Model Aviators/National AMA information booth
-R/C Flight simulator on site (tentative)
-Setup introductory flights with club instructors for late afternoons each day (tentative)
Reduced vendor fee
More Social Media exposure
Last edited by wyldkrd; Apr 01, 2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2015, 01:29 PM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Shannon,

Can you post a list of what volunteers you need? I did Vendor Coordinator one year, and I would be open to possibly doing something else this coming year.

Pat
Here is what I proposed. List may shrink if some want to wear more than one hat.
1. Contest Director ( Shannon Gallagher)
2. Assistant Contest Director (Pat Gagnon)
3. Marketing and social media coordinator (Bill Seder)
4. Registration coordinator
5. Flightline/safety coordinator (John Mangino)
6. Field setup & perimeter security coordinator(Paul Goldsmith)
7. Vendor/sponsor coordinator
8. Information booth/raffle coordinator
9. Parking coordinator (Paul Goldsmith)
10. Night fly/party coordinator
Last edited by wyldkrd; May 29, 2015 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Added Asst CD
Old Apr 01, 2015, 01:40 PM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenseaships View Post
Only one thing concerns me at this point, Shannon-

Keeping Thursday even if it means dropping Sunday! 'Cause all the visitor's are usually gone by Sunday. Dropping Thursday would make it pretty much a 2 day event.
I understand your concerns Barrett. Thursday has pros and cons as does Sunday. Both have low turnout but Thursday more so. I went with the Fri-Sun model as its the standard for most R/C events. The field will be open on Thursday for flying but it wont' be part of the sanctioned event. It was usually the day to "get ready" for most participants and parking revenue was low if anything.

Three days was also selected as a cost and manpower needs reduction. As a premier club event we hope to see a return to generating at least a little money vs. breaking even or losing as we have for various reasons the past 2 years.
Last edited by wyldkrd; Apr 01, 2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2015, 03:49 PM
Find More Posts by greenseaships
Registered Airplane Offender
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
5,663 Posts
But.... Mike Heer will not be here on Sunday!

Also- what is this 'lost luster' you are referring to?

That I've seen, the only thing that's eaten away at the event in recent years is weather, and no one can control that! I'm not saying I oppose the change of date, I'm just not sure that's going to fix the weather situation so easily. I don't want people to worry too much about that, chasing the weather like Don Quixote.
greenseaships is online now Find More Posts by greenseaships
Old Apr 01, 2015, 05:18 PM
Find More Posts by bruff
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
8,247 Posts
Sounds good, just not a fan of the awards. Always a pain to get judges and the cost is also needs to be considered. I'm for the Fri thru Sun scheduled. That was the original time frame. We added Thursday to help with the large number of pilots. Shannon is going back to the event's roots.
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Apr 01, 2015, 05:18 PM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenseaships View Post
But.... Mike Heer will not be here on Sunday! And he usually wasn't on Thursday either

Also- what is this 'lost luster' you are referring to?

That I've seen, the only thing that's eaten away at the event in recent years is weather, and no one can control that! I'm not saying I oppose the change of date, I'm just not sure that's going to fix the weather situation so easily. I don't want people to worry too much about that, chasing the weather like Don Quixote.
The weather has been the biggest factor by far. The dates we are looking at are not that far off from what we have done in the past. The Super Bowl and Presidents day weekends throw a wrench in how they fall and we are looking at the CAMAC calendar to see what is the best fit for the event. Even a few weeks later in February is usually better weather so we are leaning towards that. Heck, just from a psychological standpoint changing the date to Feb might be a good idea

Electric has become commonplace compared to the early years when the AEF started and this was a "must go to" event it for electric flyers. My goal is to bring that feel back and reach a broader demographic of spectators that could translate into new members.

I thank our past AEF leaders for laying a great foundation for the event. I intend to build on that. I can't do it alone so anyone in the club that wants to help with this by offering ideas and solutions, please contact me.
Old Apr 01, 2015, 05:21 PM
Find More Posts by bruff
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
8,247 Posts
Also the use of RC Flight Deck for registration and event management. Not sure on that one. We already have a web site set up. George found out a lot of people are not a fan of RC Flight Deck from trying to use it for the jet rally last year.
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Apr 01, 2015, 05:28 PM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff View Post
Sounds good, just not a fan of the awards. Always a pain to get judges and the cost is also needs to be considered. I'm for the Fri thru Sun scheduled. That was the original time frame. We added Thursday to help with the large number of pilots. Shannon is going back to the event's roots.
Bob
My thought with the awards is recognizing a few participants that really put extra effort into their models and surviving the SS combat. Cost reduction was a big part of my proposal to the board so that has been factored in. They won't be replicas of the Stanley Cup or Heisman Trophy, just a few nice plaques

As long as we maintain the number of pilots from the last few years and hopefully get a small up tick we are good from a financial standpoint.
Old Apr 01, 2015, 05:39 PM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff View Post
Also the use of RC Flight Deck for registration and event management. Not sure on that one. We already have a web site set up. George found out a lot of people are not a fan of RC Flight Deck from trying to use it for the jet rally last year.
Bob
RC Flight Deck has a lot to offer with registration, event management and promotion. Even since the Jet Rally it's improved. Yes, we have some people that don't like it, trust online registration or both but we can't please everyone. I think the pluses outweigh the minuses. Anyone can still walk up and register at the event. I see it as a great way to get the word out, simplify the registration process and move the event management into the digital age.
Last edited by wyldkrd; Apr 01, 2015 at 05:49 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2015, 06:21 PM
Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
18,424 Posts
Uh oh, what did I just do?

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Apr 01, 2015, 11:16 PM
Yeah, I can fly...