SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 28, 2015, 12:18 PM
Find More Posts by dporter
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Jun 2014
28 Posts
Thanks for your kind words. I am a better builder/fixer than I am a pilot. I use a GoPro mounted on a head strap. You will certainly have space issues with your larger battery. Your gyro must have Delta/V-tail mixing like the ORX I used. You may be able to mount your receiver on the inside of your canopy with velcro. The gyro needs to be in the middle, and flat on the floor. I am a big velcro fan.
dporter is offline Find More Posts by dporter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2015, 03:58 AM
Find More Posts by daniirwan
Freezes when panicking
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Mar 2007
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dporter View Post
Thanks for your kind words. I am a better builder/fixer than I am a pilot. I use a GoPro mounted on a head strap. You will certainly have space issues with your larger battery. Your gyro must have Delta/V-tail mixing like the ORX I used. You may be able to mount your receiver on the inside of your canopy with velcro. The gyro needs to be in the middle, and flat on the floor. I am a big velcro fan.
I tend to enjoy building more. If only I had more space. The space that you have looks real big & neat. I have but a few square feet to work in

Yup, ok noted. The P1 gyro that I have does have elevon/delta mixing for wings. If I recall correctly, the manual for the P1 gyro calls for it to be mounted at the CG area, which on the Z84 would mean a little bit towards the front of the canopy, instead of smack in the middle.

The rx velcro'ed on the inside of the canopy is a great idea! I plan to use the Frsky V8R4II which is really small.

How's your experience with the ORX gyro so far? What modes does it have & which mode do you find yourself using most?
daniirwan is online now Find More Posts by daniirwan
Old Jun 29, 2015, 05:30 PM
Joined Jun 2014
28 Posts
I do finally have a nice work shop, but it is a work in progress. I too have worked in "closet work shops"; but it is amazing what you can do in them if you keep your tools, etc organized.

Glad your P1 has delta mixing. The CG on the Z-84 is just 8 -10mm in front of the wing spar or approximately in the middle of the AC. Most gyros call for mounting over the CG area for proper operation.

The ORX works great, it is very sensetive so you have to get the gain pots set to where you like them before flying. It does not really have any "modes", it is just "on or off". I have it set up to be on all the time in the wing.
Old Jul 01, 2015, 11:36 AM
Joined Jun 2014
28 Posts
Wing Wobble,

Finally got to maiden mine today. She takes off at 50% throttle. Kept it pretty high and just flew the pattern. However, when turning on final, to make a low pass, I experienced an up/down wobble every time for about 2 seconds, then it would settle out. Winds were 4-5 mph.

I am using an ORX gyro with the gains set at approximately 60%. Perhaps I need to dial up the pitch gain more??? Any recommendations?

Have heard that the “wing wobble” is normal for this style of plane; is this true?

Got 15-16 minute flight times off my 2s, 1300 Mah Zippy packs.

This thing will glide like crazy!
Old Jul 01, 2015, 11:48 AM
Find More Posts by crave
KnowWhatIMean
Joined Jul 2013
1,454 Posts
When I fly. a wing. I know the turn takes lil longer, for me so I compensate and make sure I do not do things later, that to me is the character of the wing Z-84
crave is online now Find More Posts by crave
Old Jul 01, 2015, 12:20 PM
Find More Posts by Impact RC
United States, NY, Niverville
Joined Feb 2015
93 Posts
Quote:
Finally got to maiden mine today. She takes off at 50% throttle. Kept it pretty high and just flew the pattern. However, when turning on final, to make a low pass, I experienced an up/down wobble every time for about 2 seconds, then it would settle out. Winds were 4-5 mph.

I am using an ORX gyro with the gains set at approximately 60%. Perhaps I need to dial up the pitch gain more??? Any recommendations?

Have heard that the “wing wobble” is normal for this style of plane; is this true?

I have experienced pitch oscillations on the z-84 when flying at higher speeds due to gains being set too high, not too low. If you were experiencing it at higher speeds I would try lowering the gains first.
Impact RC is online now Find More Posts by Impact RC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2015, 02:59 PM
Joined Jun 2014
28 Posts
Thanks, that seems to be the thoughts of several others also.
Last edited by dporter; Yesterday at 12:14 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:52 AM
Freezes when panicking
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Mar 2007
506 Posts
Quote:

Try lowering the gains on your gyro first. The 'yaw wag' is a trait of finless wings such as the Assassin. The Z84 has two vertical stabs, so I don't think there should be any. I certainly didn't notice any on my maiden.

Agreed on the glide. I end up overshooting my LZ every single time I land this thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impact RC View Post
I have experienced pitch oscillations on the z-84 when flying at higher speeds due to gains being set too high, not too low. If you were experiencing it at higher speeds I would try lowering the gains first.
Man, that's a wicked looking Z84 on your avatar. Is there a link to your build thread?
Old Yesterday, 08:07 AM
Find More Posts by Impact RC
United States, NY, Niverville
Joined Feb 2015
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniirwan View Post
Try lowering the gains on your gyro first. The 'yaw wag' is a trait of finless wings such as the Assassin. The Z84 has two vertical stabs, so I don't think there should be any. I certainly didn't notice any on my maiden.

Agreed on the glide. I end up overshooting my LZ every single time I land this thing

Man, that's a wicked looking Z84 on your avatar. Is there a link to your build thread?
Thank you for the kind words. That is actually the z-84s bigger brother, the FX-61 Phantom. I am in the process of putting together a build video with all the details, but havn't found the time to finish it. I need to just get it done.
Impact RC is online now Find More Posts by Impact RC
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM
Freezes when panicking
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Mar 2007
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impact RC View Post
Thank you for the kind words. That is actually the z-84s bigger brother, the FX-61 Phantom. I am in the process of putting together a build video with all the details, but havn't found the time to finish it. I need to just get it done.
Ah, ok. I have the FX61 too, but it's sitting in its box, unbuilt. Waiting for parts (and money!) then I'll get around to building it. Meant to use it for FPV.

Good luck with yours, and looking forward to see a video of the maiden if you can & also the build thread.
Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM
Joined Jun 2014
28 Posts
Based on several inputs, I have dialed back the gain on the pitch. Have also rewired it so I can turn it off and on in flight - - - options are good. Will try to get some flight footage to share.