SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 24, 2014, 02:06 PM
Find More Posts by Jimmy_H
Jimbo and the Jet Set
York
Joined Jul 2005
546 Posts
I've just spent the last few hours absorbed by this thread, its surprising that this jet hasn't been more widely modelled.

Did you every manage to maiden your meteor Roy ? Any videos ?
Jimmy_H is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy_H
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2014, 02:28 PM
Find More Posts by Basingstoke Roy
http://roys-rc-tv.webs.com/
United Kingdom, England, Basingstoke
Joined Oct 2005
463 Posts
Hi Jim
Yep we managed to maiden the meteor, unfortunately it didn't end well.
The takeoff was good with plenty of power on hand and very little trim needed, but a little overly sensitive in roll.

On the down side I learnt an important lesson, never maiden a new model to de-stress when tiered after a hard day at work. My reaction were always behind the model.

The end result was I park the model in the out field after a momentary lost of orientation on the landing circuit. Repairs are well under way so shouldn't be long before she ready to fly once more.
Basingstoke Roy is offline Find More Posts by Basingstoke Roy
Old Oct 06, 2014, 07:13 AM
Find More Posts by Jim Young
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,968 Posts
Oh no, sorry to hear that. I hope it was not too bad.

-Jim
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young
Old Oct 27, 2014, 08:55 PM
Find More Posts by dfsmith
United States, WI, Mukwonago
Joined Nov 2011
55 Posts
ouch

darn it Roy I was hoping for a succesful maiden for you with all the work you put in it. It looks like an excellent job! Im still building mine after taking a break from it. I hope to see your up soon again and a posted video of it!
dfsmith is offline Find More Posts by dfsmith
Old Oct 28, 2014, 07:11 AM
Joined Oct 2005
463 Posts
Repairs are now well underway. The fuselage is ready for recovering around the damage area. The wing took most of the impact which crack a lot of the glue joints & split the sheeting badly on one side. The trouble is I had to remove all the wing skin on that side to get access to do a proper repair. Surprisingly I've had to remake very few parts apart from the balsa ribs on the one side.

The big down side is replanking it all.

O joy!
Old Oct 29, 2014, 07:03 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,968 Posts
Planking is therapeutic!
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:20 AM
Joined Oct 2005
463 Posts
Boy do i need therapy ☺
Old Feb 23, 2015, 03:29 PM
Joined Oct 2005
463 Posts
Therapy over. Repairs to the wing are now complete. ��
I used 3/32 sanded back, instead of 1/16 for the planking around the engine nascells which made life easier.

This weekend was spent cleaning and tidying the workshop ready for glassing over the repairs.
Today we finally got around to glassing the bottom of the wing. Hopefully we should be on track to have her ready for this summer.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 07:35 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,968 Posts
Glad to hear you're making progress.

I've got new fans in mine, but the increased power was overheating the ESC's. I've got to figure out some additional cooling before the snow melts.

-Jim
Old Feb 25, 2015, 01:50 AM
Find More Posts by eye4wings
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,575 Posts
I actually burned out a couple of cheapie ESCs on my Dragonfly which was too small to house all of the power train in the nacelles Jim. I felt awful ruining the underside but I cut away the underside LE skin laying bare the duct that housed them and bringing the heat sink sides down to where the surface would have been to get it directly in the airflow. A splash of paint was all the disguise they got and I have to say they really are not easy to see in the air.

The photo below was sent to me by Colin Low - thanks Colin! - and if you look to the front of the E you can just see a darker patch. There's another just ahead of the A of course.

That's my suggestion for a solution...
Or you could try replacing with water cooled ESCs and installing a tank for the water supply. If you guage the tank size right you could have a cup of tea from it on landing!

Robin
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Feb 26, 2015, 07:03 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,968 Posts
Hi Robin,

Thanks for the ideas. I have two options to that I could try. 1.) is to add an air exit in the fuselage behind the wing. The ESC's sit below the battery tray right behind the nose wheel. There may be enough air intake around the nose wheel to cool the ESC's if it is given a place to exit. Option 2.) is to cut holes in the bottom of the fuselage between the nose wheel and wing and re-mount the ESC with the heat sinks flush to the bottom. The whole plane is black and the heat sinks are black, so I don't think anyone would see them in the air.

The ESC's I'm using are 80A Hobby King specials, and they have handled the 38A of the old fan/motors fine with no real cooling. The new fan/motors pull about 50A and I was about 3 minutes into the flight when one of the motors had a "warble noise" where the ESC was shutting down trying to save itself. The ESC's were pretty hot, so the safe thing may be to hang them out in the breeze. The hard part is cutting into the paint job!

-Jim
Old Feb 26, 2015, 03:17 PM
Joined Oct 2005
463 Posts
Hi Jim & Robin

In all the time that it's taken me to put the meteor back together, I had wondered about cooling. If I had kept it together for longer, it may have been something that would have needed addressing.

Did you ever fit the rest of the gear doors Jim, I assume not.

It may be a bit of a work of fantasy, but it would be good to duct the air out from the top of the wing to the main gear bays. Leaving the o/d doors off as well.
It's to late now for you & me.

On my progress, I have glassed the under side of the wing and have the cloth cut ready for the top. But with a colleague leaving do up town, and my twins moving out this weekend, I won't have any time this weekend!
Old Feb 27, 2015, 01:52 PM
Find More Posts by mrittinger
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,667 Posts
I'm sure you'll do you usual fine job modifying the Meteor to get air to ESC's.
mrittinger is online now Find More Posts by mrittinger