SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 13, 2015, 08:14 PM
Miami Fl
Joined Feb 2011
314 Posts
Discussion
Motor temps?

I fly about 8 minutes and the motor isn't hot to the tough but after about 5-7 seconds it becomes pretty hoy. I know motors are made to operate at about 150 degrees or so but i want to know if I'm in a good range. What is a good rule of thumb to stick too?
flysohigh is online now Find More Posts by flysohigh
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2015, 09:51 PM
Super Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
2,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flysohigh View Post
I fly about 8 minutes and the motor isn't hot to the tough but after about 5-7 seconds it becomes pretty hoy.
I don't understand what you're saying. It seems contradictory...

Are you saying it's pretty hot but you could still touch it without getting burned?
TheKingPhisher is offline Find More Posts by TheKingPhisher
Old Mar 14, 2015, 07:28 AM
Miami Fl
Joined Feb 2011
314 Posts
It's not hot to the touch instantly but if you hold your finger to it in about 5 minutes it is.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 07:00 PM
Super Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
2,116 Posts
5 minutes???

I've never touched anything hot for 5 minutes....still confused...
Old Mar 14, 2015, 07:52 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
2,232 Posts
There are small motors, big motors, brushed motors, brushless motors, coreless motors, etc.

If you burn your finger touching the motor and you think it is too hot, then let it rest a spell to cool off.

Heat moves from the inside of the motor to the outside shell of the motor, and that takes time. With the motor running, there is some cooling from the blades turning.
Ribble is online now Find More Posts by Ribble
Old Mar 14, 2015, 08:16 PM
Miami Fl
Joined Feb 2011
314 Posts
I meant 5 seconds....lol..is 150 degrees hot to the touch? Just trying to get a reference point since i dont have a temp gun...
Old Mar 14, 2015, 08:22 PM
Super Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
2,116 Posts
The "general rule" for brushless RC car 540 motors is it should be about 160F if you're gearing correct. If it's hotter than 160F then it's overgeared and if it's lower then it's undergeared.

For heli motors I think it's safe to assume it follows a similar rule.

That said yes, if you could keep your finger on the motor for about 5 seconds then it seems to be within it's most efficient operating/gear range. Also it seems Scorpion heli motors are very sensitive to driving frequencies...ie the motor will get very hot when used with certain ESCs at 8khz. Changing the frequency to 12khz or 16khz seems to solve this heat issue.
Last edited by TheKingPhisher; Mar 14, 2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 09:13 PM
الآن كنت تتحدث لغتي
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
2,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPhisher View Post
.....Changing the frequency to 12khz or 16khz seems to solve this heat issue.
heh, i didn't know that. i always thought it's the other way around. I'll try it on mine.
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Old Mar 14, 2015, 09:32 PM
Super Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
2,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pitcher View Post
heh, i didn't know that. i always thought it's the other way around. I'll try it on mine.
That solution is only for Scorpion motors that are known to run hot..
Old Mar 15, 2015, 02:13 PM
Miami Fl
Joined Feb 2011
314 Posts
Ok so I flew my 500 scale heli and I'm getting almost 11 minutes until I have 20% battery left. Now the motor gets hot to the touch after I come down. I'm assuming it also has to do with the extra weight of the fuselage and the 5000mah pack, and poor ventilation since its inside the fuselage. I tried lowering the PWM to 8mhz from 16 and it reduced output power considerably and there was vibration on spool up I don't know why. There is also a timing setting I can adjust but don't know much about it, currently at 15 deg. If I cannot find out how to make the motor run cooler then I'm going to have to split up my flights in 2 five and a half min flights...
Old Mar 16, 2015, 01:00 AM
Super Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
2,116 Posts
Um why did you lower it to 8khz?
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:43 AM
Miami Fl
Joined Feb 2011
314 Posts
I tried it but was not very efficient just by sound. Well I tested out the motor temperature and obviously this motor does not have the output power for the weight of my helicopter what I need to do is get an order with Noah what's this motor is only 650 Watts and after 5 minutes out whatever throttle Cove I'll put it on starting from 77 percent all the way up to 93 it seems to be getting hot to the touch after about 5 to 6 Minutes .I am going to have to upgrade to the MX motor