SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 05, 2015, 02:11 PM
Find More Posts by JamesonC
Landing is not optional
United States, SC, Greer
Joined Feb 2014
377 Posts
Well, I finally started on my Sonic. It is going together quite nice! Couple things:

1. I am definitely modifying the wing attachments, those plastic screws are terrible. Gonna go with the stud and wingnut approach mentioned a couple pages back. Anything I should be aware of?

2. Was anyone else's aluminum tube that goes in the wings too long? Mine seems to be about 1/4" too long. Both wings will not fully seat to the fuse, you can only do one or the other.

Thanks for any help!
JamesonC is offline Find More Posts by JamesonC
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2015, 02:57 PM
Find More Posts by basser
umpf umpf
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Nov 2008
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesonC View Post
Well, I finally started on my Sonic. It is going together quite nice! Couple things:

1. I am definitely modifying the wing attachments, those plastic screws are terrible. Gonna go with the stud and wingnut approach mentioned a couple pages back. Anything I should be aware of?

2. Was anyone else's aluminum tube that goes in the wings too long? Mine seems to be about 1/4" too long. Both wings will not fully seat to the fuse, you can only do one or the other.

Thanks for any help!
Yep, wing tube too long. I trimmed mine. I also glued a wood dowel inside the tube. This makes the wing tube much stonger. I only used a dowel half as long as the tube. I centered it inside the tube. The most critical part of the tube is on each side of the fuse where the wings but up against the fuse.
basser is offline Find More Posts by basser
Old Mar 05, 2015, 03:02 PM
Find More Posts by JamesonC
Landing is not optional
United States, SC, Greer
Joined Feb 2014
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by basser View Post
Yep, wing tube too long. I trimmed mine. I also glued a wood dowel inside the tube. This makes the wing tube much stonger. I only used a dowel half as long as the tube. I centered it inside the tube. The most critical part of the tube is on each side of the fuse where the wings but up against the fuse.
Thanks for the help! I will plan on gluing the dowel inside as well!
JamesonC is offline Find More Posts by JamesonC
Old Apr 11, 2015, 04:27 PM
dbc
Find More Posts by dbc
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
2,173 Posts
Not much action lately here on the Sonic thread. But I've been keeping mine busy. I fly it several times a week - still having a lot of fun with it.

Several posters here were very concerned about the HXT 900 9g servos I have been using on the plane. They don't even come close to meeting the minimum torque specification, so I have been watching them carefully. Recently the rudder/steering servo began buzzing and not centering consistently.

So I changed it out for a used Futaba S3004 I had in the servo bin. Kept the HXT's on the ailerons and elevator but everything is quiet and smooth now. It added 28g to the plane but maybe it was an "ounce of prevention" that was worthwhile.

134 logged flights ......and counting.
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Old Apr 11, 2015, 05:30 PM
Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
3,135 Posts
It's a great plane. Had mine out a couple times last week. Don't remember if I posted or not but I put a little larger motor on it. Still flys great and the added weight in the nose is a plus.
Fentonflyers is offline Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:02 AM
dbc
Find More Posts by dbc
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
2,173 Posts
The "improved" Mk2 version is now in stock - anyone going to get one?
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Old Apr 14, 2015, 03:03 PM
Find More Posts by timwj1
I want just one more plane!
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined Feb 2013
661 Posts
I still have an old version in a box I bought as backup, I haven't flown mine for quite a while, I have about 25 planes and never seem to get to the Sonic, but whenever I do, I kick myself in the butt for not flying it more often, it is a great little plane. I think I prefer the wings in 2 pieces over the new style.
timwj1 is offline Find More Posts by timwj1