HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:44 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich225 View Post
Thank you everyone, the V911 looks a more stable helicopter for beginners, am I correct in this assumption?
Any of them should be fairly easy to fly if everything is set up correctly.

And when karlik mentioned parts, you need to check for availability
where you live. Where I live V911 parts are 2 days away, it might
not be the same for you.

If you REALLY want stability and super easy to fly, only a coax will
fit the bill. But like I said, they might get boring really quick.

The only way I can get my coax heli out of shape is to purposely
rock it back and forth, and that only works because I removed
the flybar weights, and installed a larger tail blade.

Without the mods, the only way to crash it is to hit something, and
sometimes even that does not bring it down.

Let me put it this way... both my FP and CP heli's have been down
awaiting parts for 3 days. And I have not touched my coax.

Keep in mind though that my coax is not as nice as the one you
are considering (mine is a $35 Radio Shack Stormwolf... a complete
waste of money).

http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/i...r-gyro-reviews
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Dec 04, 2012 at 06:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:36 PM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
United States, MO, Platte City
Joined Jun 2012
516 Posts
I'm probably the only one here who thinks part availability isn't really an issue for the V911.

I have bounced mine off of walls, chairs, bricks, light fixtures, got it caught my wifes hair, and nose dived it straight into the concrete driveway from 30' up. I have NEVER broken anything on it. It's so light weight, and the plastic is so flexible, I don't even know how you would break it. It would take a very lucky shot directly on the tail boom or something.

Speaking of which, I did manage to put a kink in the tail boom once. I bent it straight again, wrapped in dental floss, soaked with CA glue, and it's made 100 flights since then with no issues.

For your question about flight times, they should be nearly identical between the Atom (looks like a rebadged Xieda 9958) and the V911. They are about the same size, and have about the same size battery. Both would be good, although i've heard that Xieda is faster and not quite as beginner friendly. Either one would be pretty easy to fly though. I'd get the V911 for the cool transmitter...but i'm biased Love my V911!
Chubbs is online now Find More Posts by Chubbs
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:37 AM
Joined Dec 2012
13 Posts
Thank you everyone for your help, I think im going to get one of the FP ones, leaning towards the V911 due to the transmitter. Parts seem to be in ok supply in the UK as well, if not theres always the option of getting them from China
rich225 is offline Find More Posts by rich225
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:17 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,357 Posts
V911 is a must for any beginner who wants to start flying helis. 4ch F/P and hands down most popular. Several of mine are 6 mo. old and fly good. Get a RTF, BNF also and couple extra batteries and good to go. BNF go for $20.00 shipped !!! Best buy ever.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:18 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2012
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich225 View Post
Thank you everyone for your help, I think im going to get one of the FP ones, leaning towards the V911 due to the transmitter. Parts seem to be in ok supply in the UK as well, if not theres always the option of getting them from China
I was in your shoes a couple of weeks ago Rich.

Tried out a v911, now I've got a BNF spare on the way from banggood with 5 x 150mAh batteries, and other bits for tinkering. The BNF will ensure that I always have one in the air, and I can afford to wait for cheap spares.

It is a brilliant thing for the money. Enough of a challenge to fly, plausible as an outdoor heli if winds are light, robust in a crash and cheap to fix (worst case UKú12). I'm glad to have skipped the coax option.

Pull the trigger mate.
Thwock is offline Find More Posts by Thwock
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:36 AM
Joined Dec 2012
13 Posts
Thanks Thwock. I think im sold on the v911.

Thank you to everyone for their help

Richard
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:10 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
...got it caught my wifes hair...
I wish I was still married so I could try that.

Probably why I'm not married anymore
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HK450GT Lights
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:44 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,659 Posts
I don't think a coax is a waste at all. Even an S107. Throttle management is the very first most important thing to learn. There are too many movements and forces and directions to control and counter on a heli. It is much better if a beginner gets at least one of them to be second nature first.
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:15 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,209 Posts
True, but while it's important, it's something you can learn within a few battery cycles. After a day you'll end up frustrated that you couldn't move it away from the walls. That's when I went out and got the v911.

It may take a bit more space but you can also fly the 4ch on nothing but the throttle, and like the 3ch, when you lose orientation, simply let go of the controls. Plus, the fact that it can go sideways means the walls are no longer a problem.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:47 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,659 Posts
Yeah, the V911 is the best first choice. Cheap and with real mode 2 controls, the 3 channels were my first helis, I still fly them inside sometimes.
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:01 PM
Joined Dec 2012
13 Posts
Thank you everyone, my V911 is on it's way. I will check in and let everyone know how I get on with it, thank you all for the advice.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:08 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,486 Posts
Coax?

I honestly think the only people who benefit from a coax is the store that sold it to you, knowing you'll buy something else in a few weeks.

X2
Pa flyer is online now Find More Posts by Pa flyer