HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:27 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,411 Posts
Discussion
1980's Formula 40 Pylon racing

Back in the late 80's I was involved in not only Club 20, but also Formula 40. In fact I am proud to know that I helped teach a guy to fly RC who not long after went to Reno with UK team and was a runner up in F40 Pylon Comp there.

Anyway ... my F40 machine was a Cotswold Midget Mustang kit, (UK) ... GRP fuselage, veneered foam wings, balsa sheet tail parts.

As I understand it - the model ceased production - shame as it was not only a good F40 machine but could be set-up as a good sport machine. It was available in two wing formats .. full thin symmetrical for racing and thicker semi symet for sport.

Has anyone any clue or info as to where such a model may be hiding now ? I would love to have one again ....

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:18 PM
shultz
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
The cotswold midget mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Back in the late 80's I was involved in not only Club 20, but also Formula 40. In fact I am proud to know that I helped teach a guy to fly RC who not long after went to Reno with UK team and was a runner up in F40 Pylon Comp there.

Anyway ... my F40 machine was a Cotswold Midget Mustang kit, (UK) ... GRP fuselage, veneered foam wings, balsa sheet tail parts.

As I understand it - the model ceased production - shame as it was not only a good F40 machine but could be set-up as a good sport machine. It was available in two wing formats .. full thin symmetrical for racing and thicker semi symet for sport.

Has anyone any clue or info as to where such a model may be hiding now ? I would love to have one again ....

Nigel
The Cotswold Midget Mustang was produced by Sid King. Who i believe is still about. He made the foam wings for my Sport 40 model i was making at the time. 1999. My brother had sid's club 20 racer and i think that was called "The Alley Cat" quite some time ago now..He may still have a midget mustang kit still about.

shultz.
shultz0145 is offline Find More Posts by shultz0145
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:55 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz0145 View Post
The Cotswold Midget Mustang was produced by Sid King. Who i believe is still about. He made the foam wings for my Sport 40 model i was making at the time. 1999. My brother had sid's club 20 racer and i think that was called "The Alley Cat" quite some time ago now..He may still have a midget mustang kit still about.

shultz.
Interesting ....

Just on the subject of Club 20 .... mine was the RM racer ..... taipan 7x6 + Irviine 20 .............

Now to see a way to find out about Mr. King

Cheers
Nigel
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:49 AM
Emperor of Speed!
West Country UK
Joined Jul 2006
189 Posts
The Cotswold Kits Club 20 kit was called the "Tracer". Later more streamlined versions were called the "Flowline". Sid made the wings for the 40 or so "Stinger" kits I produced for Sport 40 back in the late 80s/early 90s. He was last known to be living in Dursley in Gloucester. He also produced some FAI kits including the Midget Mustang in FAI and Sport 40 sizes and a Polecat for Sport 40. They all flew well.
Napoleon IV is offline Find More Posts by Napoleon IV
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:13 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,411 Posts
My RM Racer was in GRP based on the Radio Modeller plan ... careful to keep within the Club 20 rules. The fuselage moulded up as a one-off by a pal of mine in Winchester UK... I believe that later the Fuselage was an option with the plan.

My Formula 40 Midget Mustang ... I actually stopped racing ... changed to a throttled carb, added legs and wheels ... became an exceptional sport machine ... sacrilege I know ... but I was working away so much that trying to stay in race schedules became impossible ....

Nigel
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:40 PM
Emperor of Speed!
West Country UK
Joined Jul 2006
189 Posts
When you refer to Formula 40 do you mean Sport 40 or was that something different?
Napoleon IV is offline Find More Posts by Napoleon IV
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:00 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon IV View Post
When you refer to Formula 40 do you mean Sport 40 or was that something different?
This was ,late 70's ... early 80's .... and we were all Club 20 guys ... then along came this new 40 class ... Formula 40 ... there were various models accepted for it ... The Midget Mustang, Polecat, all had like Club 20 set wingspans, wing-areas, motors, props etc. ..

I did it for a couple of years then dropped out as I was an Officer on Ships and couldn't stay in the race schedules.

As to what it changed it's name to or whether it died out I have no idea ... but I know that one guy I taught to fly went to Reno with a UK team to compete .. in a 40 class a year after I taught him.... would have been around 82 ... 83 ...

Nigel
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:43 PM
Southampton UK
Joined Dec 2006
94 Posts
I still talk with Sid , and yesy im pretty sure he could make a midget mustang if asked nicely - ( have a feeling P B models may have a kit ) - so why do i think i know SOLENTLIFE ???? - and the name Nigel rings a bell - have you even belonged to Waltham Chase aeromodellers ?
FLYTILIDIE is offline Find More Posts by FLYTILIDIE
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:39 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYTILIDIE View Post
I still talk with Sid , and yesy im pretty sure he could make a midget mustang if asked nicely - ( have a feeling P B models may have a kit ) - so why do i think i know SOLENTLIFE ???? - and the name Nigel rings a bell - have you even belonged to Waltham Chase aeromodellers ?
Most certainly was a member of WCA ... friends with Howard Metcalf etc.

I also flew at Beaulieu, Lee Bees, Meon valley Soarers etc.

I was PR at WCA when SMAE changed to BMFA ... I donated a Shield to WCA for annual presentation to best achiever in club ...

Actual name : Nigel Luther ... used to live in Fareham then moved to Cowplain before upping and going to Latvia / Russia.

Check out my Youtube channel : solentlifeuk ..... you'll see some old 8mm vids of WCA and others ...

With regard to Sid King ... am already in contact with him and chatting various ..

Nigel
Old Nov 01, 2012, 05:06 PM
Southampton UK
Joined Dec 2006
94 Posts
yep , i was right . No wonder you left Waltham Chase , there flying fields miles from Latvia . We went flying at all those sites you mentioned together - in fact i still see one of your best mates - Roger - who now has an obsession with helicopters - got it yet ???????????????
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:58 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,411 Posts
Quote:
yep , i was right . No wonder you left Waltham Chase , there flying fields miles from Latvia . We went flying at all those sites you mentioned together - in fact i still see one of your best mates - Roger - who now has an obsession with helicopters - got it yet ???????????????
I'm terrible with names ... but Tony ... Howard ... Roger .... Paul ... Steve .... all come to mind.
Roger was messing about with an Aerobatic job shortly befre I left .... he also tried flying a Big Zlin at LeeBees for sadly one of our guys who passed away .. cant remember his name but he had a VW Camper and ran Bunce's Model Shop at the end. He had my Lancaster plan as we were talking about creating a Lanc for the WCA team ...

Howard was developing his mini models around 049's at the time ... but of course he was a master of the Thermal Gliders !

Paul Bateman of course left for Isle of Wight ... but before that he helped with my Club 20 until a Beaulieu guy became my launcher ... the Bieulieu guy went on to the Formula 40 stage.

I would like to get in touch with Tony Butterworth as he kept my Zlin Akrobat plan .... would love to have that back and convert to electric.

I have emailed you via RCG ... hoping we can chat .... it's killing me trying to figure who you are ... as not many WCA went with me to Beaulieu ....

You must remember my Skymaster Biplane then ? and my piped 61 powered Wot4 ?

as I was then !! a few kg's lighter ....

You might like to check out my Youtube channel : 'solentlifeuk' .... it has various WCA and other vids uploaded ... shows Howard, Roger etc. AND the Formula 40 Midget Mustang I had ....

Cheers
Nigel
Last edited by solentlife; Nov 01, 2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:50 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,411 Posts
Quote:
I replied ....... I PM'd .......... now all quiet ???

Nigel
ex WCA !
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:13 PM
Southampton UK
Joined Dec 2006
94 Posts
Hi Nigel , been busy over past week - so you come to the solent area occasionally from Latvia - well whats the chances of bringing a F3K model kit with you for me - i believe there is a model called the stream that is manufactured close by . To see the models look at hand launch in the glider section - there is good interest in Latvia i believe but shipment of models is not cheap and nor the chance of them arriving safely - there may be a larger choice but are you aware of any of these please - best regards .........

PS im with Steve Warren this evening at our annual balsa brain quiz night - some 30 clubs enter teams , circa 70 people arrive - plus we have raffles and guest speakers -all part of the Southern area BMFA service you know - i let him know your about
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:50 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,411 Posts
Hi Steve .... It's been a long time since we last met !

I'm hoping to come over next spring ... will contact you before.

I've been busy last months - travelling all over ... China, Venezuela, Singapore ...

I have very fond memories of Waltham Chase ....

Latvia has keen modellers but very few as the population is only just over 2 mill, and average salaries are very low.

Cheers
Nigel
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:25 PM
Southampton UK
Joined Dec 2006
94 Posts
Not Steve , its Tony - have a look at the Southern Area BMFA web site and you will see me there ( Im chairman again after Roger B passed away ) . I knew it was you at first thread - been a long time nigel and i recall parties at your place on the roof - remember .good to know your still active so happy new year to you and yours - best wishes for new year -