SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
Discussion
Tiny lipo wanted for project... How low can I go?

I have a Hobbyzone micro Champ.... Great little plane by the way..... I noticed that she glides like a dream with the normal flight battery out of the plane. I want to put in a tiny lipo, as light as possible in the plane to simulate the empty weight and balance, but which will still power the control surfaces..... I am hoping that with a decent breeze i can hover and soar like a little yellow buzzard!
What size / c rating/ mah do I need at a minimum to run the rudder and elevator? Flight batt 1s is about 4.15g.... I would like to find something under 2.... Maybe less. Thanks! By the way... I clearly know next to nothing about lipos and batteries....
Mikeamondo is offline Find More Posts by Mikeamondo
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
http://www.microflight.com/Online-Catalog/Bare-Cells
Found this site... Do you think the 20c version at top of page would work with the right connector soldered on?
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:19 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,831 Posts
Are you saying you won't be using motor power at all? or will you still need motor power to take off, but then once up to altitude shut off and glide...
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
Wont use the motor at all. It would require a strong toss into a brisk wind, I think I could get some decent altitude. Heck...you dont fly these micros all that high, even under power anyway.....
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:33 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,831 Posts
ideally, you'll want to put a watt meter on it to see how much it drains when you use both servos at the same time.
Remember, the Lipo is also used to power the rx brick as well. If you don't have a watt meter, I'd say to be safe, you'd still need at least the 50mah. The 50 and 30 mah one is .5 grams so, not very much of a difference.

If you really just want to glide, perhaps if it's easy to do, just remove the motor and place the Lipo where the motor is...something like that.

but remember, because you are now putting in a smaller Lipo, make sure you balance your plane (CG)
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:36 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeamondo View Post
http://www.microflight.com/Online-Catalog/Bare-Cells
Found this site... Do you think the 20c version at top of page would work with the right connector soldered on?
Should do, I doubt those servos would want more than 400mA. If you want to check hook up a multimeter between the plane and the pack and measure while moving servos around (as you would in the air).
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:50 PM
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
I dont want to pull the motor, because I still want to fly her as usual as well. Just when the wind gets to high to fight against, I think I could work with it instead! Might be a giant flop, but its woth a try. I will hook up my multi tomorrow sometime and see what it pulls. Also, I guess I could put a 1.5 g dead weight in the battery compartment and see if it flies like i want..... Thanks!
Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:38 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,760 Posts
You can not wind surf a plane / glider unless you have a ridge or slop that the wind blows against and thus creates an up draft for lift. I suggest you do some reading about gliders and slope soaring.
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer