HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:14 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,411 Posts
Sounds very strange ... I suppose after a while the wings may get a bit slack - foam and all that .. but so far mine are still a resounding CLICK when they engage.

Instead of glueing them in - what about taking a page from the Glider boys ? Where they fit hooks and rubber bands across between the wings inside fuselage ? If they can hold 2 - 3m wings like that ... I'm sure it will work for this little baby.
Or use Hex head screws into buried blind nuts ? I say Hex Head as then you can use L driver to tighten ...

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:16 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch rudder View Post
Nigel.......
You are a very patient man........
?? Maybe word should be Persistent ? I never give up !!

Nigel
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:18 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Sounds very strange ... I suppose after a while the wings may get a bit slack - foam and all that .. but so far mine are still a resounding CLICK when they engage.

Nigel
I had a heavy nose in crash about a month ago. The stresses of the impact appear to have enlarged my fuse wing mounts a small amount. This small amount of clearance has moved the point of wing stress on to the clip i think. My other floaty Edge uses the rubber band idea, but it does not do the speeds of this little racer. The only other clip in wing, like this Edge550 I've owned was a little Kinetic 800 glider which ended up with a similar problem after a crash. Some good ideas though, thx for posting. I have glued the wings in now, so its next crash may be its last. We will see

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:18 PM
Joined Mar 2011
63 Posts
Just finished my Red Bull Edge 540.
http://subsonichobby.blogspot.com/20...-rc-plane.html

Maiden the plane but landing wasn't easy. Any advice?
SubSonichobby is offline Find More Posts by SubSonichobby
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:32 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSonichobby View Post

Long ... low .... grease it in !! Think you'll find that it's generally found by most to be a bit of a pain to land !

But you survived it !! That's great.

Nigel
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:00 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSonichobby View Post

You need to a long final approach and set it up so that you are controlling altitude with the throttle and not the elevator. Any elevator input will cause it to balloon. My maiden required about 8 missed approaches....

Also be sure to reglue your gear! Mine had no glue on it at all and on landing it just popped out...LOL And the landing was perfect!
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:30 PM
Australia, QLD, Townsville
Joined Jul 2011
229 Posts
Got the mx2 last week and my son has 2 flights (mode 2) and I had a maiden on it today ( mode 1). so it was a triming maiden as well.

Both our flights were similer and our landing all ended in a nose over . Not real good for grass strips. I took off on high rates and it was very touchy. Flipped over to low rates and a lot less touchy and a better plane to fly.

Just a matter of flying and setting up the plane better. Might take the LG off and hand launch .Might try adding in flaperons and see what effect that has on slow speed for landings.
medroller is offline Find More Posts by medroller
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:34 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by medroller View Post
Might try adding in flaperons and see what effect that has on slow speed for landings.
From what I've read about flaperons with glider setup they are only an advantage with aircraft that have separate inner wing flaps. I abandoned using them on my gliders after reading several reports of flaperons increasing tip stall tendencies at low speed. You are better off just using a longer approach in low wind or calm conditions, and short approach into a steady head wind. My Edge550 has only tip stall crashed once, and it happening just as I punched throttle into the start of a banking turn, so I put it down to torque roll causing the tip stall.

On another topic has anybody got the 1400mm wing SBACH(the orange EPO one). I was looking for a larger aircraft that behaves like this little EDGE550. Or is the 1400mm Sbach more of a floater, than a racer?

Mick
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:24 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Hobbyking Edge 550 at the park

I managed to get a little flight footage today of the little Edge 550 doing the rounds at the park. It was a relatively uneventful apart from a near miss on take off, and a long landing over shoot. While air born though it was rock solid with full throttle passes, climbs etc. There was one power off pass, and it rolled out of the climb nicely enough. I just need to dial a little more AILE rate in as the roll rate was a little too slow. Nice looking clouds around today as well

Hobbyking Edge 540 v3 800mm Dec2012 park flight (3 min 35 sec)
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:44 PM
Joined Jul 2011
229 Posts
I've had a few more flights and dialled her in a bit more. The landings on grass are better ( no more nose overs ), Just hold the flair just before touch down. Apart from that ,it's enjoyable to fly. A bit slow compared to the hype about being a fast racer. I suppose an upgrade to a higher kv motor would get better performance.
But for the price , it would be good to have some club pylon raceing.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:16 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,039 Posts
Quote:
Got the mx2 last week and my son has 2 flights (mode 2) and I had a maiden on it today ( mode 1). so it was a triming maiden as well.

Both our flights were similer and our landing all ended in a nose over . Not real good for grass strips. I took off on high rates and it was very touchy. Flipped over to low rates and a lot less touchy and a better plane to fly.

Just a matter of flying and setting up the plane better. Might take the LG off and hand launch .Might try adding in flaperons and see what effect that has on slow speed for landings.
Flaperons on a plane like this is a bad thing. With full span or inboard ailerons it would work ok. But with this type of plane you want to prevent it from tip stalling which means that you would add just a touch of spoilerons instead. There really isn't a need to set up spoilerons with this little plane but if you want to I think that those would work pretty good at making the landing just a little bit more manageable. However I am happy with how I have it set up now and will just leave it alone for now...

I got a couple more flights in with mine today and am really happy with how its working out now! I did have to add a lot of expo on elevator (45%) to keep it from porpoising and cut the throws to about 70% as well. Also added about 1/2oz to the nose. The battery of choice is the 4s 30c 1800mah China Hobby Line pack that gives about 6 mins of flight time with mixed throttle and most of the flight being at about half throttle. At full throttle this thing is very fast with the Rocket Motors 2215 1950kv motor!! It flies like a Reno Pylon racer at full but tracks like a pattern ship should! Landing was a little iffy on the first flight of the day because I didn't use the throttle right on and bounced into the ground then flipped. On the last flight I did a couple practice approaches to see how I needed to get the plane to descend or climb with throttle alone. Once I was lined up with the path that I was landing on I just had to hold about 1/8th throttle and let the plane glide into a 3 point landing... It was my last flight of the day and great way to end it! can't wait to get this little bugger back in the air again! A very impressive little plane!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:30 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,411 Posts
I think it funny that now we are seeing people flying this baby and enjoying it. Despite the initial gripes.

I tend to think like me - many consider a tweak here and there ... then maiden - BHAM ! We go back to factory specs and it flies.

I remember a model that was featured in UK mag - RCM&E ... P.R. Mini Pitts ... the reviewer went against build advice and built it as he thought was best. Flight was a disaster ... P.R. who I knew, was not amused ... mag then did a revised review - where builder put model back to factory specs and installations. He had to admit she flew on rails and did everything a Pitts should ...

So maybe Stuart at HK was right guys ? I certainly did as he said and bingo ! She was a sweetie ...

Nigel
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:06 PM
Joined Jul 2011
229 Posts
Went for a fly today and one of the motor magnets came loose and moved rearward ,thus slicing the wires at the point of going into the motor. I know you can glue them back in, but I just might put this plane in the tub with all the other HK planes that expire after a couple of flights.

Eflite, I'm coming back home.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:20 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Went for a fly today and one of the motor magnets came loose and moved rearward ,thus slicing the wires at the point of going into the motor. I know you can glue them back in, but I just might put this plane in the tub with all the other HK planes that expire after a couple of flights.

If the air frame is intact I might be interested in buying it for spares. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Mick
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:27 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,039 Posts
Quote:

I bought the airframe with Servos for this very reason. Eflite stuff has given me a lot of problems in the past though....you don't always get what you pay for with that stuff....

Hobbypartz has been bulletproof for me! I have had a motor rated at 400watts produce over 1000watts of power without over heating....It was an Exceed Monster Power 10 1100kv motor and cost me less than $15.... Had an Eflite Power 25 burn up at its rated power....That one cost over $50.... And same with those Eflite 30amp esc's....no cooling fins and a price that is more than double that of an Exceed 30amp with better BEC, cooling and cost under $15.... I have 3 year old Exceed's and the Eflites are all dead and gone.... Need I say more?