to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:53 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hink64 View Post
Possibly certain types may not - but this one sure does. Take a look.

Hink
Wow. Which model is that? I have one of those wheels and was not impressed by the test I did. I might try again.

Are those just holes or did you add some colour?
Dangaras is offline Find More Posts by Dangaras
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:01 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
This bird should be available for purchase any time now. As for which is better, the LX or FMS Corsair, it's not fair for me to make a definitive response without having several flights of the FMS Corsair under my belt. But just based on surface stuff, I will say the following...

The LX Corsair is the sexiest foam Corsair on the market. The wing-fold is so cool. The scale fidelity is gorgeous BUT they messed up the vertical stab and rudder. They made it too large (allegedly to provide more flight stability for newbies...What a joke), so major knock off on points there.

A book has been written on how bad the electronics and components are so I won't go into detail there. I can already tell you even without months of flying the FMS Corsair that the FMS Corsair is going to win that battle hands down.

The FMS Corsair looks and feels more stout. Similar attention to detail in the scale department but FMS got the gear doors right and the tail wheel function is superior to LX's version. All-in-all, the edge has to go to FMS. Mainly because their components are not junk. If there's an issue, they fix it, as in yesterday.

Now if the FMS model had a wicked wing-fold option? Holy crap...I would say it's the finest Corsair on the market, period, including versions that are composite.

As for your setup, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with a 75A ESC. I would go 85 and up. The 10A Ext BEC is totally fine. For my comfort zone, I want a 100A ESC. That way, I know I can WOT as much as I want without fear of thermal shutdown.

I can't wait to see what ya'll do with this girl. Paint her up. Enjoy her. This is a beautiful, beautiful foam Corsair.
Congrats! Right there with you on the 'hply crap' moment. Just makes you value her even more.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:16 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,326 Posts
I hesitate writing this.

Sometimes I think back on the years I've been in this hobby. All the ups and downs (literally and figuratively), the blood (prop meet skin), the sweat (pouring down my face as I labor together a plane in my garage), and the tears.

This beautiful Corsair of mine crashed today. The flight was going great. Then suddenly it looked like a mini-bomb exploded in the back. The entire empennage exploded away from the plane. There was nothing I could do but watch helplessly as she nose-dove straight into the ground.

It is totally my fault. I don't think I screwed the stab down tight enough. Even the CA I used to seal the stab and elevator to the fuse didn't prevent disaster. This one's on me and I'm sick about it.

The good news? It was all caught on video.

Incredibly, the plane is pretty much intact. There's damage of course to the front end and tears along the front and in the mid-wing area under the plane. But some epoxy and elbow grease, a new hub, spinner and prop and she will fly again.

I'll upload the video tonight. It's really incredible.

But hey, at least my Seahawks won today or I would REALLY be hitting the sauce!
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:20 PM
Joined Jan 2011
367 Posts
You sure are having a bad run with these corsairs
warbirdfan2 is online now Find More Posts by warbirdfan2
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:21 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,326 Posts
Tell me about it. I'm just sick about it. Such a beautiful Corsair too. Had I epoxied the back end for added insurance she would still be pristine sitting in my garage right now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:27 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,266 Posts
I think Aros is one of many, my corsair luck with the big balsa birds has bern horrible. I usually get one flying all season and then have a major issue at the end of the season that means major repairs.
Any corsair over 1.5m for me means tricky tummy and terror during every flight.

Sorry about the 'incident'. Good luck in the rebuild.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:40 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,326 Posts
I cancelled my 1700 Mustang order from FMS and asked for another Corsair instead. I won't give her up. Here's some post crash photos.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:49 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,656 Posts
Sorry to hear that...mon O' man...you're run of luck lately with her sucks..., but doesn't look to bad from the pics and definately repairable.

I don't have any of my stabs glued on and am just useing the supplied screws and they seem to hold on fine.
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:59 PM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,887 Posts
I'd be heart broken at crashing that beauty too. It's the feeling in the pit of the stomach when all you can do is watch it pile in! I don't think I'd change the order for the '51, the damage is so minimal to the airframe, it'll be repaired by the time the new one arrives.
Mitchie is online now Find More Posts by Mitchie
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:59 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
I cancelled my 1700 Mustang order from FMS and asked for another Corsair instead. I won't give her up. Here's some post crash photos.
Dont throw this one out, put her in s box and send her to me..
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:04 PM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,887 Posts
Or me!
Mitchie is online now Find More Posts by Mitchie
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:15 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,677 Posts
Man sorry to hear that Aros. Don't let it get you down pics font look like it was too much damage. However i k ow how it feels to have a cosmetically damaged plane, it hurts to look at it. Guess your asking for another corsair (#3) from FMS? Know wonder they haven't gone on sale they keep shipping em all to you. Let us enjoy em to. .
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:09 PM
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Yea that sucks Aros!

I was filming his flight when it happened, it literally made a small explosion sound when it happened, made me look up from the camera to see what the sound was, so I got some of the crash on video, but wish I would have held the camera steady to catch it all.

It was flying so well up to that point, even one of the kids at the field said 'Wow! That's looks like a real plane!'

You do such a great job with the scale looks Aros, and it sucks when this happens.

Wow! Hold the horses! I just watched the video, and I got a perfect shot of the explosion, and I don't think it was the tail coming off! You can clearly see the tail is all on there when all hell breaks loos! Strange thing is, looks like both the canopy and the drop tanks burst off first, before anything else!

Any how, dropping the video into the dropbox for you now Aros, and I'll be calling you as well to let you know.

We may have to call the FAA on this one to review the tape and perform a full scale investigation on this one! LOL
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:16 PM
Cape Coral, Fl
Joined Jan 2010
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangaras View Post
Wow. Which model is that? I have one of those wheels and was not impressed by the test I did. I might try again.

Are those just holes or did you add some colour?
Yes those are holes...initially. Over time they tend to close up and a paint job leaves nice little dimples. If your wheel does not have sharp spikes it may not work the way you want. Test on a couple scrap pieces of foam.

The plane is the PZ Wildcat
Hink64 is offline Find More Posts by Hink64