SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 05, 2011, 08:26 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,712 Posts
Discussion
Just about got the Paris 4.0 dialed in on the tricopter

Well I had a few weeks of travelling but it looks like I just about have my Paris controller dialed in on my little tricopter. I shot this in the street tonight by my house. Nothing fancy. I did split the screen so you could see how stable it really is with no software stabilization. One side shows it stabilized and one side shows the raw footage. I did chase my neighbor down the street pretty well in the red truck. Just having a little fun.

Just some fun flying around my street (1 min 26 sec)
frogman1206 is offline Find More Posts by frogman1206
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:44 AM
It flew...nearly!
Norway
Joined Apr 2006
1,941 Posts
Darned good!
Matthew
Duck! is offline Find More Posts by Duck!
Old Sep 06, 2011, 10:52 AM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,712 Posts
Now the fun. I have a meeting in a few hours with an agriculture cooperative that loved a video I did for fun of their outdoor education conference with the tricopter. We are discussing video tours of their locations....all 20 of them. If I can land the job a better grade tricopter will be forthcoming. Now that would be fun.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 07:09 AM
Oklahoma City
Joined May 2004
1,676 Posts
What stabilization software are you using? It seems to work well.
MorrisM is offline Find More Posts by MorrisM
Old Sep 08, 2011, 03:05 PM
USA, OH, Cleveland
Joined Apr 2010
150 Posts
Not only what software are you using, but do you have any specs on your setup? This is honestly one of the best tricopter videos I have ever seen.
SnarkyMcSnarkson is offline Find More Posts by SnarkyMcSnarkson
Old Sep 08, 2011, 03:54 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,712 Posts
I use Mercalli 2.0 for my stabilization. It comes as an included plugin with my editing software from Grassvalley called Edius. I have a few tools others may not as I am a videographer by trade.

As far as my setup and specs I have the FPVPilot.com ARF tricopter setup and the Paris 4.0 controller installed. If thought that was the best tricopter footage you have seen you haven't looked around too much on here as I have seen plenty that is much better. :-). I have been doing this tricopter for over a year now and it has taken me almost that long to get all the vibes out of the video and get it to the point it is in now. My setup is all aluminum so it transmits vibes more than other types of setups do so it has been a real fight for me.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 06:07 PM
Portugal
Joined May 2010
245 Posts
I have been watching many videos in the past times and i agree with BigSpaceDaddy...
Excellent quality even without the stabilization...
Can you give some point about the way you get rid off the vibes?
And are you using a gopro?
kiliam is offline Find More Posts by kiliam
Old Sep 08, 2011, 07:02 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,712 Posts
Well I guess I'm flattered. I have seen stuff from a few people that is more stable than my stuff from a tricopter. One that comes to mind is Power's locomotive video. He shot it with his DSLR rig but was shooting with a gopro. He had extra ballast to get the CG right and I'm sure the extra weight helped stabilize things as well.

I'm kinda wordy sometimes but I will try to explain how I made my mount as best I can. Bear with me if I ramble.

First my entire frame is all aluminum which I'm told is the worst for transmitting vibes. I was determined to make it work so it took some experimenting. Here's what I did.

To start my camera mount is basically a piece of thin hobby ply mounted under the tricopter to give me a base to hang my mount from since my fuse is a triangle. My camera mount is basically 2 paint sticks epoxied side by side and cut to length. Turns out 2 paint sticks glued together are exactly the width of the gopro camera. I also hand the battery underneath the mount to give it more mass to absorb the vibes

A while back everyone was excited about moon gel as an antivibe solution. Well I tried it out and it made mine even worse. I tried lots of combinations of different types of foam or insulation. Until recently my best luck was with some 1/2 inch foam from a fitness mat I use for workout classes. It's a typical yoga style mat but it's 1/2" thick.

Over my journey to vibe isolation someone posted a link that explained the explained how vibrations and CMOS jello show up from a physics standpoint and it all made sense. With the moon gel my camera was isolated well but it was so elastic that it allowed my camera to "wobble" as the tricopter bounced around while flying. Most of my problems were from the cam mount moving around while flying. If I made it too firm it transferred vibes from the motor harmonics. If I made it too soft it let the camera wobble around.

For a while I was trying my 1/2 inch fitness foam layered on top of each other for my isolation. I figured more is better. This foam was solid from my little ply section on the bottom of the tri down to my mount of paint sticks.

Here's a pic of an early attempt with upholstery foam but it shows kinda how my mount is configured. It has changed alot since then.

Here's a pic of a more recent mount that did a better job. It uses the fitness mat foam. It was good but I still had a few vibes floating through my footage. Better but not quite there.

I used this idea for a long time. The concept was to hang the camera platform from just 4 small pieces of foam to give it a little room for movement but not too much. It was all about the density of the foam. Whoever explained the physics to me could tell if I needed stiffer foam or softer based on how many vibes floated through my footage. He was way smarter than me. This blue foam was very close and sometimes gave me good footage.

A few months back a friend that used to manufacture equipment to transport high tech medical equipment mentioned some vibe isolating gel/padding they used that was amazing. He had a one foot square of it still around and gave it to me. I removed the fitness foam and tried this new stuff. Worked better than the fitness foam. This is the link he gave me to the stuff.

http://www.shockandvibration.co.uk/S...-Gel-Sheet.php

I just cut 4 little sections of it about 1/2 inch square and long enough to hang the camera platform where I wanted it. I used Gorilla Glue to secure it in place. I did cut a few small grooves in the gel pad to give the Gorilla glue somewhere to expand and fill in with it's bond.

I got better footage than ever before in 1080/30p mode (still with the original lens). I still got a few vibes now and then but very few. The other day on a whim I glued and extension onto my mount so I could get the GoPro farther out front and allow me to shoot in 720/60p mode if I wanted to. I put the extension out there and for giggles wrapped my GoPro in a pool noodle and mounted it on the end if the extension. Got the best video ever. The clip I posted with split screen was shot in the evening so the light was a little lower which slows the shutter down a little and adds a little motion blur. That smooths some of the vibes/jello out. Yesterday I took that same setup outside and flew it in bright sun in the middle of the day. Just a quick flight to test it. Best footage I have ever shot. Nice and clear and no vibe/jello at all. I'm not touching anything now.

This was just to reduce the vibes. The stable flying is a huge improvement because of the Paris 4.0 that replaced my gyros. Depending on your setup and construction materials your success will vary.

This may help alot. I dug up the link where I talked about how I concocted my mount and even posted the link to they physics of how it worked. Read that stuff over and it may help a little. I learned a lot from it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1339280

Hope that helps someone.