HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2010, 10:51 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,635 Posts
Because the Mikado doesn't have a bind port, you'll need to use the same "type" of receiver as the Mikado emulates in order to get it to bind. Contact Mikado to find what type of rx they emulate. My guess is it will be an AR7000 since those are so dominant in the heli market, but it could also be an AR7600 like the DX7 SE comes with.

Bind the TM1000 using the appropriate Spektrum rx and the heli's remotes (you need to use the bind button on the TM1000 to do the bind). Once bound, power it all down, move the remotes over to the Mikado unit again and power it all up. The DX8 should connect to the remotes and control the heli, and it should show that telemetry is being received (bars in top left corner). If that doesn't work, most likely it was because you didn't use the correct type of Spektrum rx when binding.

That should work. I can't say for sure since I don't fly helicopters, especially FBL ones. I'm doing OK with the MSR - that's about it!

To get the voltage data, you should put a Y connector into one of the servo jacks. Remove the yellow wire from one, and plug the TM1000 into it. The other one can go to the servo. If you have a spare jack, then just use an extension with the yellow removed. The TM1000 monitors the voltage appearing on its rx connection.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2010, 11:04 PM
Medium Rare
Sweden
Joined Jun 2010
115 Posts
Is it like live the telemetry? can i se holds and stuff live while im in the air?
Svensson is offline Find More Posts by Svensson
Old Sep 04, 2010, 06:14 AM
RC Addict
Western NY
Joined Jun 2002
1,668 Posts
Thanks for the info Andy, I will give that a try. My LHS says that they will have my DX8 on the 16th.
Raydee is offline Find More Posts by Raydee
Old Sep 04, 2010, 10:47 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensson View Post
Is it like live the telemetry? can i se holds and stuff live while im in the air?
Yes. Yes. There are several videos to watch on YouTube like the one above. Those, the online manual, and earlier comments in this thread show you lots of info on telemetry.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 04, 2010, 04:08 PM
Medium Rare
Sweden
Joined Jun 2010
115 Posts
Andy!

The signalbar in the top left corner, is it the signal strength of the tm1000 and the dx8 or is it the signal strength of the reciever and the dx8?
Old Sep 04, 2010, 04:53 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,635 Posts
It shows the strength of the signals received in the plane, as reported by the telemetry module. If the tx is not hearing the telemetry module well, it will flicker, but will still indicate the strength of the transmitter's signal at the model.

Next question should be, "Why would the tx not hear the telemetry module well?"

Reason 1 has to be the TM antenna location.

The short-range telemetry module TM1100 (smaller and lighter, better for small helis) doesn't have the long range. I put one in my T-28D for testing. If I fly the model away from me, I'll see that telemetry bars flicker or go off when I'm near/beyond the short-range telemetry module's range (about 300' I think). The signal from the tx to the plane, though, is perfect.

What's really cool is doing a range-test with the telemetry active. With the tx in Range Test mode and the tx/rx separated by 100+ feet, you can see the effect of antenna direction and other obstructions very easily. When I was testing this, I had to leave my model in my office and walk way down the hall, then put my hand over the antenna to see the Flight Log data change. When you get your DX8, be sure to hook up the telemetry and do a range test. (You do one every day at the field, right?)

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 04, 2010, 05:11 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Andy, what are the specs (frequency, power, mode) for the telemetry modules?
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Sep 04, 2010, 06:09 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaurak3 View Post
Andy, what are the specs (frequency, power, mode) for the telemetry modules?
DSM2.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 04, 2010, 06:29 PM
Medium Rare
Sweden
Joined Jun 2010
115 Posts
Aha ok so if the telemetry bars drop down to zero do not mean that i am close to a hold, only that the telemetry module is out of range?

Haha bad english sorry i didnt fully understand your awnser

Jacob
Old Sep 04, 2010, 06:39 PM
Joined Sep 2009
428 Posts
Spektrum dx8

September 10-13
anton831 is offline Find More Posts by anton831
Old Sep 04, 2010, 06:39 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensson View Post
Aha ok so if the telemetry bars drop down to zero do not mean that i am close to a hold, only that the telemetry module is out of range?
Jacob,

You are correct. The NUMBER of bars tells you what the receiver is hearing from the tx (6 bars). If no bars show, it only means that the tx didn't hear the TM (very hard to do with a good installation and a TM1000 since it's range is about the same as the transmitter's. It's not too hard with a TM1100 at a distance because it only is for short range use).

On my radio, I usually see 6 bars. If I am flying the T-28 near 300' away, the 6 bars flicker as a group because the tx may have missed a message from the TM1100. If I'm doing a range check and I'm far away, I can see the number of bars change too.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 04, 2010, 06:43 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anton831 View Post
September 10-13
Can you reveal your sources please?
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 04, 2010, 06:49 PM
Joined Sep 2009
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
Can you reveal your sources please?
VP
I BELEIVE ITS MORE LIKE THE 16 WHEN ALL THE CODES GO DEAD BUT ORDER THEN TO HAVE IT BY FRIDAY. http://www.thebarnfloor.com/catalog/...oducts_id=1900
anton831 is offline Find More Posts by anton831
Old Sep 04, 2010, 07:07 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,786 Posts
Andy: I take it the charge jack on the side is pos. centre for the power supply??

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Sep 04, 2010, 07:29 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Andy: I take it the charge jack on the side is pos. centre for the power supply??

Gord.
I dont want to speak for Andy but I believe the polarity doesnt matter, sounds strange I know.
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)