SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 22, 2010, 04:02 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,581 Posts
The range check works very well, plenty of ground range even with the Tx powered down. So far I have flown it in small parkflyers all the way up to my 70 size 1700w chipmunk, no issues yet. Response time is excellent, feels very natural when flying my little Tucano in a pylon style pattern which requires quick responses from both me and the gear!

I have plots from an engineer friend and they emulate the FAAST plots quite closely. He has also done interference & brownout tests and could not get it to lock up no matter how he dropped the voltage on the rx. Failsafe works as described, you can turn the Tx off with the sticks in whatever position and all controls will go to neutral, throttle off, turn Tx back on it relocks almost instantly.

Here is a review just posted, this guy usually picks things to death if they are no good so it would seem FrSKY is on the right track:
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/frskyreview.shtml

I have the module sets available in Australia with local certification.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2010, 07:11 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,244 Posts
"I have the module sets available in Australia with local certification. "

I am happy to see this system get such good ratings. However, those receiver prices (Australian) would push me towards Hitec most likely. Not trying to be a jerk, just blunt.

The $'s mentioned on the review site result in a different decision

Scott
ScottSails is offline Find More Posts by ScottSails
Last edited by ScottSails; Jan 22, 2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:52 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSails View Post
I am happy to see this system get such good ratings. However, those receiver prices (Australian) would push me towards Hitec most likely. Not trying to be a jerk, just blunt.

Scott
Yeah well USD$38.00 listed by the reviewer is the sort of price you would see without local taxes, our pricing is pretty competitive and includes local taxes. The Rx is more than half the cost of the kit to purchase so pricing is actually low on the Rx side of things. Plus we have to offer warranty, service, a product that is compliant with OZ laws which are different to the rest of the world...

Another forumer posted up about the hitec, seems when its set to hopping it wont lock back on if you turn the tx off?? Only if its set to fixed frequency mode. Having never played with one I cannot comment on the accuracy of this claim but he has an Aurora. I know the FrSKY locks back on instantly.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:41 PM
Novice builder and flyer!
brisbane australia
Joined Mar 2007
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSails View Post

Scott
Hi Scott,

I actually thought the prices are very reasonable, especially considering that a CTick was sought and approved and that a degree of local support for warranty is implied.

And AUD$110 for a TX module and RX seems like a steal to me.

PS this is not a hint to raise prices though, Extreme RC
gmphoto is offline Find More Posts by gmphoto
Old Jan 23, 2010, 05:43 AM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
Yeah well USD$38.00 listed by the reviewer is the sort of price you would see without local taxes, our pricing is pretty competitive and includes local taxes. The Rx is more than half the cost of the kit to purchase so pricing is actually low on the Rx side of things. Plus we have to offer warranty, service, a product that is compliant with OZ laws which are different to the rest of the world...

Another forumer posted up about the hitec, seems when its set to hopping it wont lock back on if you turn the tx off?? Only if its set to fixed frequency mode. Having never played with one I cannot comment on the accuracy of this claim but he has an Aurora. I know the FrSKY locks back on instantly.
Ah,

Was not aware of the local taxes required in OZ nor warranty and service issues. THAT explains a lot, i can imagine if the quality turns out bad, that would crush your business. So many sellers are literally just a web site that could come and go with no warranty (or a warranty that requires so much effort, no one bothers with it). Thanks for the clarification

Scott
ScottSails is offline Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Jan 24, 2010, 08:07 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,739 Posts
I don't know about Spektrum, but Hitec also has a range check reduced power of 1%, 1mW vs 100mW. I think "the others" too use a very low % in the same ballpark, because is a nonsense to reduce to 10% only.
Why? 10% power means range reduced 3 times compared to full range (square root of power ratio in both modes). Futaba for example advertise 3000m range in air, have you ever heard 1km range check for a Futaba radio?

@Chase: does this receiver has any pad to pick an analog RSSI signal.
CC2500 outputs digital RSSI, can't be used directly by existing OSDs on the market.
If negative, does the Rx LED change somewhat to warn about lost packets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrumBob View Post
sorry, that bit I understand, what I should have said is that I've no idea how much other manufacturers reduce power by in range check mode, so I don't know how to compare ground range in range-test mode between the FrSky unit and, for example, a Spektrum set in range test mode. Does Spekturm reduce it's output power to 10%, 5% 1%?

What I do know is that 150 yards was impressive, and by that reasoning should give 1500 yards - nearly a mile - ground range! Unfortunately the only Spektrum module we had to hand on the day for comparison was faulty, giving just 2M range.

Chase - that's encouraging that you are taking action on the molding shape so promptly. Glad I could be of assistance.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jan 24, 2010, 09:12 PM
Joined Mar 2009
295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
I don't know about Spektrum, but Hitec also has a range check reduced power of 1%, 1mW vs 100mW. I think "the others" too use a very low % in the same ballpark, because is a nonsense to reduce to 10% only.
Why? 10% power means range reduced 3 times compared to full range (square root of power ratio in both modes). Futaba for example advertise 3000m range in air, have you ever heard 1km range check for a Futaba radio?

@Chase: does this receiver has any pad to pick an analog RSSI signal.
CC2500 outputs digital RSSI, can't be used directly by existing OSDs on the market.
If negative, does the Rx LED change somewhat to warn about lost packets?
@RENATOA: Yes, the Rx LED will change the frequency of flashing to warn about lost packets
Chase Wu is offline Find More Posts by Chase Wu
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:46 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
Hitec has two modes: scan and normal
In Scan Mode, both Receiver and transmitter scan the whole band (120 channels) for the best 20 channels. Useful if you use a 2.4 GHZ Wireless video transmitter to avoid using the frequency occupied by video Tx. Yes, in this mode, if you turn off Tx and back on, you have no lock. But this mode is intended only when you change location, more as a sniffer for busy channels to avoid them.
After this scan, you normally switch to normal mode, pun intended because scan mode is more a binding mode than a regular usage mode, imo.

In Normal mode both Tx and Rx hop only the 20 channel that was previous choosen during the scan mode binding, so when you turn on/off again, they always select the same channel 20 channels, until next scan mode bindingfor this reason the reboot is much faster.
Last edited by renatoa; Jan 25, 2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 03:32 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,098 Posts
Where are these available?

US?

Orient?

HobbyKing?
Fly2High is online now Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Jan 28, 2010, 03:42 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,739 Posts
Singapore and Australia. Soon UK
The two sites are in the threads about frsky
Old Jan 28, 2010, 03:45 PM
Birmingham, UK
Joined Apr 2007
501 Posts
looks like ExtremeRc in Australia have them listed, and GiantCod in the UK will have them available this weekend.
Personally I am going to swap my remaining 35MHz setups over as soon as I can get the receivers. Not that I've had a problem with 35, other than remembering to put the tx aerial up before taking off , and finding somewhere to loop the rx aerial in small models

edit - Renatoa beat me to it!
BrumBob is offline Find More Posts by BrumBob
Old Feb 04, 2010, 09:35 PM
Joined Apr 2007
161 Posts
In NZ we are accepting pre-orders and are getting them in shortly as well.

http://www.phlatkits.co.nz/
kneedrag is offline Find More Posts by kneedrag
Old Feb 05, 2010, 06:31 AM
Who let the dogs out?
Pontefract, Yorkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2007
1,076 Posts
Ordered two additional receivers from Giantcod on Wednesday evening, Friday morning here they are!
Nicely packaged, not 'loose' like previous Chinese gear:
phil_g is offline Find More Posts by phil_g
Old Feb 05, 2010, 06:55 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrumBob View Post
sorry, that bit I understand, what I should have said is that I've no idea how much other manufacturers reduce power by in range check mode, so I don't know how to compare ground range in range-test mode between the FrSky unit and, for example, a Spektrum set in range test mode. Does Spekturm reduce it's output power to 10%, 5% 1%?
Backing up a few posts.
Spektrum TX modules and radios show a 20dB drop in power when checked on a good (not a PC WiFi dongle) spectrum analyzer during range test.

Since they output about +20dBm (100mW) it means they drop to about 1mW when in range check mode. Chase has explained that FrSky has used the same power level drop, which is good I think.

I've done a lot of testing for Corona in the past (that's another story), also using the CC2500 chipset and RF amp, and so I'd bet the FrSky has the same power output as the Corona which is also approximately +20dBm.
In fact Corona, Spektrum and most others seem to be between +20dBm and +22dBm at the antenna connector.
Martin

Edit: Testing on much more recent Spektrum DSM2 TX modules (late firmware) shows they have a -30dBc power drop for range test. So the FrSky needs to be lower also.
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Last edited by PLMS; Mar 14, 2010 at 06:47 PM. Reason: New data
Old Feb 05, 2010, 07:10 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,739 Posts
Corona is 40mW and FrSky is 60mW, as I read in various threads.
FrSky is FCC certified, so if you have the FCCID, you may read the exact tests results bulletin.