HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2009, 12:27 AM
Kuala Lumpur ,Malaysia
Joined Nov 2008
343 Posts
Discussion
ANy reviews on the skyartec Funjet?

Hi,

anybody have done the review of the new funjet yet?
bulldog2 is offline Find More Posts by bulldog2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2009, 01:09 PM
freexgroup
Joined Feb 2006
388 Posts
search youtube " skyartec funjet;skyartec skyartec skyfun ;or skyartec"

You will see many videos there.
skyartec is offline Find More Posts by skyartec
Old Jul 07, 2009, 08:43 PM
Good thing we brought the glue
USA, NY, Carmel
Joined Feb 2008
127 Posts
I purchased this plane a couple of weeks ago.
Unfortunately on our maiden flight the motor came off of the plane while I was doing a flyby about 8 feet off the ground. It did a nose dive and sheered the nose off.
You could tell that the motor mount was not glued on properly at the factory and this caused the crash.
I contacted Skyartec, but they wanted pics of the motor off of the plane. We had already glued it back on and glued the nose back on. So they wouldn't do anything for us.
I think if they give a few tugs on some of the other motors in the factory, they will notice that some come off quite easily.
So it looks like we are stuck with one ugly plane. Also the velcro holding the battery came off very easily.

All this aside, after we glued the plane back together and reattached the motor, it flew very well. No crashes since the first one. (So I don't think it was the pilot) Very easy to launch and handles real nice.
I would say it is good for a beginner to intermediate flyer. It does lack some speed though, so I would think more advance pilots would get bored with the stock setup.
Just make sure you check the motor mount before your first flight.
cdina36315 is offline Find More Posts by cdina36315
Last edited by cdina36315; Jul 07, 2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2009, 07:52 AM
Joined Mar 2008
11 Posts
I also bought a Skyartec funjet at the mid/end of June.... Due to the AMAZING way the British weather works I havent been able to fly it yet !!! Only been a month and a half of waiting though ! what did I expect for a British Summer ?!!

Also had the problem of the battery velcro not staying attached, and the plastic cockpit screen not being glued on especially well. (in fact... if you buy one of these, DO NOT rely on the glue that comes with the kit !! there is insufficient to complete the build, and it is BAD GLUE! before your kit arives... save yourself the frustration and get some falcongrip or similar!!)

someone has written a brief comparison of the 2 types of funjet....

http://johnsonloo.blogspot.com/2009/...na-funjet.html

After reading this, I used the extra velcro I didn't use re-attaching the battery to put around the edge of the canopy to stop if coming off when flying.

Will add another post when I have finally managed to get this into the air, until then, I hope my post is useful.

P.S. has anyone conidered (or tried) the Multiplex speed conversion mod on a skyartec ?? would be interested to hear peoples thoughts...
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=913
Biscuit is offline Find More Posts by Biscuit
Old Aug 11, 2009, 09:58 AM
Joined Mar 2008
11 Posts
I got to take mine for its first fly today..... the engine dropped out of it !!!! LOL ! I did give it a test wiggle beforehand and it seemed ok.

So anyway a quick trip home and a good dose of Falcongrip later, and it was back in the air long enough for me to plunge it back into the ground at high velocity again.

pretty robust design really for coping with smacks and crashes. but would definately agree with CDINA.... perhaps even disassemble the motor mounting and re-do it properly with a decent amount of glue before considering flying.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 05:26 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,203 Posts
Hi fellas

Would this be suitable as a powered slope machine instead of the flying wing type?

The flying wing type is good in handling strong winds at the slope. Winds that would be too strong for a conventional sailplane.

I know the Sky Funjet is designed for high speed, but with its stubby shape I can't see why it would not be a good replacement for a flying wing on the slope

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:10 AM
freexgroup
Joined Feb 2006
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit
I got to take mine for its first fly today..... the engine dropped out of it !!!! LOL ! I did give it a test wiggle beforehand and it seemed ok.

So anyway a quick trip home and a good dose of Falcongrip later, and it was back in the air long enough for me to plunge it back into the ground at high velocity again.

pretty robust design really for coping with smacks and crashes. but would definately agree with CDINA.... perhaps even disassemble the motor mounting and re-do it properly with a decent amount of glue before considering flying.
Yes,We do need to improve in many parts of
skyartec is offline Find More Posts by skyartec
Old Aug 12, 2009, 05:29 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyartec
Yes,We do need to improve in many parts of
Do you have a time for the improvements
bobf is offline Find More Posts by bobf
Old Aug 14, 2009, 08:30 PM
Good thing we brought the glue
USA, NY, Carmel
Joined Feb 2008
127 Posts
Well, I don't generally like to make any negative comments about a manufacturer, but I think Skyartec is not very professional in my case here.

On my maiden flight, (as I mentioned in an earlier post) my motor came off as I was doing a fly by, about 8 feet off the ground. The plane did a nose dive and broke off the nose. I could see that the glue used was not adequate for the job.

So I wrote Skyartec and they wanted pics, but I already glued the nose and motor back on and I guess they wanted a pic with the motor off, but I was not going to remove it to take a pic for them. I did send a pic of my now real ugly nose. I recommended to them to inspect some of their stock, to see if there was an issue. They stopped responding to my emails. (approximately 3)

So I let it go, thinking maybe I just got a bad plane and it would be hard to prove. Now I see recent posts with people having the same problem and it seems to be a proven manufacturing fault.
So I emailed them back, to see if they would reconsider responding to my emails.
They responded and thanked me for the information that I gave them in identifying a manufacturing issue, and that they have now corrected the problem.

I don't remember volunteering to do their R & D testing for them at my expense. The way I look at it i usually charge $180 per hour for consulting.

So they are now in dept to me for 2 hours at $180 per and $150 for the cost of the plane. For a total of $510. I would have settled for a new airframe.
I wonder when I can expect my check.

Just figured I would vent a little. I imagine there is some translation issue here.
cdina36315 is offline Find More Posts by cdina36315
Last edited by cdina36315; Aug 14, 2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:03 AM
Gistel, Belgium
Joined Mar 2004
572 Posts
got mine, first thing I looked at was mount, and seems rock solid ..

will be a night plane with the hobbyking leds, so do not need dazzling speeds ...

but eeeerrrr ... where is the CG ? I see no mention of that anywhere ....
guy5927 is offline Find More Posts by guy5927
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:04 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2006
29 Posts
SkyFun

This airplane looks same as the fantom early version that sale @hobby people now they replaced with the ducted fan version, I love this one because it can fly in the windy weather with no problem and can float without power for a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy5927
got mine, first thing I looked at was mount, and seems rock solid ..

will be a night plane with the hobbyking leds, so do not need dazzling speeds ...

tom_sandiego is offline Find More Posts by tom_sandiego
Old Sep 08, 2009, 05:01 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy5927

On my kit you use the D shaped holes in the bottom to balance and adjust the battery cell forward or back until it sits level.

Just wondered if anyone knows what the propeller dimensions are, as mine had to do an emergency landing on tarmac and shredded the propeller. have replaced with a 6 X 4 prop, but seems not to be so keen on staying airbourne at the mo, so just wondering if I get a big enough one ??
Old Jan 29, 2011, 07:42 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1 Posts
skyartec skyfun parts missing, replacements required

recently purchased via ebay uk skyartec skyfun plane. it was already part assembled as sold as a return. It is missing the 3 plastic joint buttons that secure the canopy to the fuselage. Anyone know a supplier, I live in France but originally from UK so either source would suffice. Thanks in advance for any info. I am glad I registered with rcgroups, I think I will get a lot of use from it.
Steve .
dillybo is offline Find More Posts by dillybo
Old Jun 30, 2011, 04:14 PM
United States, AZ, Glendale
Joined Mar 2009
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillybo View Post
recently purchased via ebay uk skyartec skyfun plane. it was already part assembled as sold as a return. It is missing the 3 plastic joint buttons that secure the canopy to the fuselage. Anyone know a supplier, I live in France but originally from UK so either source would suffice. Thanks in advance for any info. I am glad I registered with rcgroups, I think I will get a lot of use from it.
Steve .
did you ever get your clips.. i saw a video where a guy took a peace of welding wire and put it thru the side of the fuse thru the canopy and it seemed a good solution to the canopy popping off..and if you use aluminum wire they would weigh about the same .. just thought i'de mention it
O1HOEGETTER is offline Find More Posts by O1HOEGETTER
Old Jul 03, 2011, 07:11 PM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillybo View Post
Steve .
Sorry to hear of your missing parts. Some how we missed this message and request. We are the USA Distributor of Skyartec and would be glad to help you with a set of the fasteners. We would only need to cover our shipping fees. Contact us directly at max@parkrcmodels.com and we will see if we can work out something if you still need the parts

Max
Parkflying is offline Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor