HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2009, 08:23 PM
Model trains, Rc Boats, Rc air
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
Discussion
Spirit Elite ARF or Bird of Time ARF or ???

I would appreciate flyers' advice regarding the Spiriti Elite ARF, Bird of Time ARF or similar glider. ie. Oly II, as a novice/intermediate glider.

I really don't want to build. I understand that these gliders are easy to repair as opposed to a carbon fiber Ava or Topaz. Otherwise, I would get a carbon fiber sailplane. Thanks for your advice. Bruce
6789boat is offline Find More Posts by 6789boat
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2009, 09:07 PM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,876 Posts
If your looking for a low cost ARF, I'd look at the Spirit 100, before the Elite or the BOT. Although I liked my BoTARF, its weaknesses are well documented here in RCG. Between the Spirit Elite, and the Spirit 100 ARF, the Spirit 100 ARF is the better flyer of the two. The Elite is a bit heavy and clunky flying compared to its big brother.

If your willing to build, the Oly II is hands down the best choice, and its not that complicated to build, I've knocked them out from the old Airtonics kits, in three evenings, ready to go, and the bonus is, if you built it, you can fix it.

There will be plenty of others chiming in with their thoughts, but based on what you posted, there is mine.

Whatever you choose, have fun!

Steve
StevenatorLTFO is offline Find More Posts by StevenatorLTFO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Supra Vertical Stab and Rudder
Old Mar 31, 2009, 10:45 PM
Model trains, Rc Boats, Rc air
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
Thanks for your mentioning your experience Steve. How does the Spirit 100 perform without an elevator ????
6789boat is offline Find More Posts by 6789boat
Old Apr 01, 2009, 01:28 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,739 Posts
What do you mean no elevator? And I do agree with the stevenator, also the Spirit 10-0 is more versettle.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2009, 09:00 AM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,876 Posts
It still has an elevator, just the same as the Spirit Elite does, it just doesn't have the full flying stab like the BoT does.

Performance wise, there is really no comparison between the 2 meter Elite and the 100 inch version. Bigger flies better, much more efficient.

The 100 inch Spirit ARF can be built as a full house airplane, and is quite tough. Little Lee had one in Cinci at the spring contest last year, and it was VERY windy, and it held together. No way my old BoT would have stood the same abuse. I really think the 100 is a good value for the money.

With that said, the 2M Elite is not all that bad for a cheap ARF either, but its heavy for its size, and if you don't find lift, your coming down pretty fast.

In your original post, you mention the AVA and Topaz... well, they can be fixed if you bang them up, the structure on the Topaz wing and tail is wood, with carbon fiber caps. It does have a woven carbon/kevlar leading edge. I've cartwheeled mine a couple of times early last year, and in both cases, messed up a wing tip, and it went back together pretty easy, and its hard to tell where I screwed it up. Yes its a lot more money for a Topaz (or an AVA) but your talking incredible performance from either of these machines.
StevenatorLTFO is offline Find More Posts by StevenatorLTFO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Supra Vertical Stab and Rudder
Old Apr 01, 2009, 04:23 PM
Thermals?!
Plantation, FL
Joined Apr 2008
385 Posts
BoT

I own a BoT and it's great. I converted it to electric, but it still flies and thermals great. Yes, the wing supposedly has issues, but there are many threads and tutorials that show you how to beef it up. Although I've never flown an Elite, I would go for the Bird of Time and do a few mods to it.

Andy
AndyTheLegend is offline Find More Posts by AndyTheLegend
Old Apr 02, 2009, 06:45 AM
Nova Scotia, the East Coast NA
Joined May 2005
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUCE ANTELL
I would appreciate flyers' advice regarding the Spiriti Elite ARF, Bird of Time ARF or similar glider. ie. Oly II, as a novice/intermediate glider.

I really don't want to build. I understand that these gliders are easy to repair as opposed to a carbon fiber Ava or Topaz. Otherwise, I would get a carbon fiber sailplane. Thanks for your advice. Bruce

Read Great things about the Spirit and Oly, but I decided to give the
BOT Arf a try,
I've flown mine for over 2 Hrs, already and I'm very happy with it.

I have a little bluff next to the house, oh 100 ft away, and I have no fear of tossing off that and landing on that after a flight..
It just seems so effortless to fly...
I've added a Scorpion s3008-32 motor 35 amp esc, 10 x 6 aeronaut folders and a 2200mah 3 cell lipo for power...
Pulls away nicely and plenty of power at 60 % throttle to get me 3 runs up to Soaring height...
Keep the motor as far forward as possible, and keep the tail light...
I also cut in spoilers 3 bays x 1 1/2 inch, 1 bay in from end of center section, they come up to near 90 Deg , and the Bird will literally fall out of the sky with these popped!
Difficult to pick out with the white covering on the wing bottoms, but that can be remedied easily with some graphic, or stripe!
AUW is about 70 oz, a little heavy, but theirs plenty of wing and as I move the CG back I hope to get a couple oz's out...
Whacker
whacker is online now Find More Posts by whacker
Old May 09, 2009, 08:33 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jun 2008
848 Posts
Whacker,

I am in the process of obtaining a bird of time for an electric conversion. Would you be willing to snap a few photos of your conversion?

SunDevilPilot
SunDevilPilot is offline Find More Posts by SunDevilPilot
Old May 11, 2009, 04:52 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUCE ANTELL

1) What is your budget? IF you can afford an AVA or a Topaz, go right to these. The difference in flying performance between these and the Spirits is dramatic. And they are no harder to fix than any other plane. Don't ask how I know.

2) Hi-start? Winch? Slope? What kind of flying and what kind of launch?

3) What is your flying/soaring experience?
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old May 11, 2009, 09:36 AM
Nova Scotia, the East Coast NA
Joined May 2005
246 Posts
Bird of Time

Sun devil..
I've sent you a PM...
I'd enjoy a build Thread on the Bird of Time Arf...
Maybe you'd be interested in doing one...
whacker
whacker is online now Find More Posts by whacker