Discussion
tail-which 1 is best?

considering where the stab is located regarding the fuselage,
which tail setting works best for you?
1.-conventional;
2.-cross;
3.-t
4.-v

1.- in the conventional the stab sits on top of the fuselage or somewhere in it;
2.-in the 'cross' the stab is located somewhere between the fuselage and the tip of the fin;
3.-in the 't' the stab sits on top of the fin;
4.-in the 'v' there are 2 surfaces that sit on top of the fuselage.
am posting this here because i think sailplanes are the best to show these differences.
would like to hear your experiences regarding stability and response, for instance.
i, myself have done some tests and comparisons, but would like to hear from guys who have used some of the above.
positive and polite input welcome.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2015, 12:47 PM
Find More Posts by kukailimoku
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Aug 2014
53 Posts
For me, I like the conventional. The "cross" is a pain to work the rigging to, the "v" is a pain to align and the "t" is too dang easy to break. Plus, you can use metal control rods all the way to the horns in a conventional setup; power steering.

Of course, the others DO look cooler.
kukailimoku is offline Find More Posts by kukailimoku
Old May 22, 2015, 01:06 PM
Find More Posts by marc.pujol
Marc PUJOL
Joined Feb 2010
181 Posts
You do not ask the correct question.
The issue is not which configuration is the best but the way you define them. Both can been as good as the other providing they are correctly defined and computed.

Marc
marc.pujol is online now Find More Posts by marc.pujol
Old May 22, 2015, 01:16 PM
Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kukailimoku View Post
For me, I like the conventional. The "cross" is a pain to work the rigging to, the "v" is a pain to align and the "t" is too dang easy to break. Plus, you can use metal control rods all the way to the horns in a conventional setup; power steering.

Of course, the others DO look cooler.
thank you for your comments regarding easy of installation. now, if you have tried any, have you noticed any difference in stability and precision in reaction?
and what about using cables to send the signal to servos at the tail instead of pushrods?
Last edited by phil alvirez; May 22, 2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old May 22, 2015, 01:19 PM
Joined Jul 2007
5,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc.pujol View Post
You do not ask the correct question.
The issue is not which configuration is the best but the way you define them. Both can been as good as the other providing they are correctly defined and computed.

Marc
i said: would like to hear your experiences regarding stability and response, for instance.
what can you tell about this?
and this: considering where the stab is located regarding the fuselage,
which tail setting works best for you? would like to hear your experiences regarding stability and response, for instance.
can you answer this instead of lecturing me? do you have experience in this?
other wise don't need your opinions. is not what i asked. polite and positive input, please.
Old May 22, 2015, 01:20 PM
Find More Posts by marc.pujol
Marc PUJOL
Joined Feb 2010
181 Posts
Oh yes there is manydifference between them if you do not make accurate computation.
marc.pujol is online now Find More Posts by marc.pujol
Old May 22, 2015, 01:32 PM
Joined Aug 2014
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
thank you for your comments regarding easy of installation. now, if you have tried any, have you noticed any difference in stability and precision in reaction?
and what about using cables to send the signal to servos at the tail instead of pushrods?
I've found that the cables for the t-tail do indeed have a little slop where the rods don't as long as the outer sleeves are held in place solidly.

A caveat: I always build in WAY more throw in the control surfaces than what's specified in the plans and those surfaces are usually ~30% larger. Makes for much for violence and excitement, even with a simple R/E glider. The length of cable that has to exit the tube to get this amount of throw definitely figures in to the not-so-rigid control.
Old May 22, 2015, 03:25 PM
Find More Posts by cityevader
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
3,537 Posts
I believe by "cables", he meant electrical wires to a servo within the tail, not a cable pushrod.

If all the types of tails are designed "properly" there will be no difference whatsoever in "stability" or "response", so it's yet another thread about which one is better and the answer is a question...which one do you like better?

There's lots of reasons for going with one versus another (such as setup, etc), but that's quite different from your actual question.
cityevader is online now Find More Posts by cityevader
Old May 22, 2015, 03:44 PM
Joined Aug 2014
53 Posts
Ah, servo in the tail. Sorry, missed that.

Interesting idea, never tried it. Having a little tiny pushrod might be kinda fun.
Old May 22, 2015, 03:56 PM
Find More Posts by tkallev
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,273 Posts
Any kind of tail is good tail ...
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old May 22, 2015, 04:38 PM
Joined Jul 2007
5,591 Posts
have you experienced it?

ok, so if we do the installation properly all work fine. agree.
now, what about the aerodynamic behaviour?
i mean, is there 1 type where the air flow makes 1 of them more efficient?
conventional has 4 corners, v tail has 3; cross has also 4, and t has only 2.
does that has any effect on the way air flows around the tail? turbulence?
and how this affects stability?
i have to tell you that i have tried these and noticed differences but wany to hear from you guys who have done this to compare.

and there is another factor to consider: the turbulence of the wing and the downwash of the wing. that is, as the air flows around the wing, it leaves more turbulent and at different angle of attack, so hits the tail and makes it behave different. and this affects the efficiency of the tail. so a tail placed higher stays clear of this. like a t tail. then the cross may be clear too if placed high enough (like for instance the radian from horizon) and therefore needs less area. does anybody have experience with this?
please answer only if you have tried and noticed any difference.
Old May 22, 2015, 04:44 PM
Joined Jul 2007
5,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityevader View Post
I believe by "cables", he meant electrical wires to a servo within the tail, not a cable pushrod.

If all the types of tails are designed "properly" there will be no difference whatsoever in "stability" or "response", so it's yet another thread about which one is better and the answer is a question...which one do you like better?

There's lots of reasons for going with one versus another (such as setup, etc), but that's quite different from your actual question.
how do you know that there is no difference: have you tried? i can tell you that from my experience i have noticed differences. that is why am asking if some1 has experienced them. it is not what any1 thinks if has not tried it. please.
Old May 22, 2015, 05:55 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
Joined Mar 2012
3,537 Posts
There certainly are many differences!

The OP was in regards to stability. My personal answer is still: a properly designed version of each tail, will all have similar "stability", IMHO.

And i've had lots and lots of experience with tails.
Old May 22, 2015, 07:09 PM
Joined Jul 2007
5,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityevader View Post
There certainly are many differences!

The OP was in regards to stability. My personal answer is still: a properly designed version of each tail, will all have similar "stability", IMHO.

And i've had lots and lots of experience with tails.
the question is: which tail setting works best for you.
could you tell, and why?
Old May 22, 2015, 08:49 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
Joined Mar 2012
3,537 Posts
Since the question is now more broad, i'll contribute to this...another tail thread...

Conventional tail is easiest to build, set up, and fly.
Cross tail (horizontal partway up the fin) is prettiest, linkage repairs suck.
Vtail is 2nd place for pretty, but difficult to set up incidence. Additionally, unless the vee angle is adjustable, it'll surely end up with SOME sort of un commanded elevator function when hitting only the rudder due to up/down half of it working stronger.
T-tail is tie for pretty with v tail, but more twisting forces are incurred on the tail boom.

Oh yeah...vee tails suck. It's on the Internet, and therefore true.