New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2015, 07:57 PM
Find More Posts by ChrisArms
Joined May 2015
3 Posts
Discussion
First FPV Quad

Hi Everyone

I owned a DJI Flamwheel f450 with naza gps when they first came out. it was awesome fun but i didnt have any one to fly with so i sold it.

I am looking to build another quad and just wanted some advice on the set up. I understand the fundamentals but i brought the DJI as a kit so it took all the guesswork out of it. I have been flying rc most of my life so understand how it all works but i do have a few questions if any one can help. Considering this is my first fpv quad, i know i will crash it. would rather find a cheaper frame and buy a couple of them, any ways

I am looking to run the eagletree set up with gps, probably immersion fpv gear and would like to run a dedicated camera. I love the idea of a racing 250 but i would like to get a decent flight time

From what i understand the 450 would give me longer flight times because they are more efficient?

I am not sure of the pro's and cons of each size, the 450 and 250

If any one can share some info as to which one you would build. Most of the time i would spend flying in close with in 500 meters

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks !!

Chris in Melbourne
ChrisArms is offline Find More Posts by ChrisArms
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2015, 08:09 AM
Joined May 2015
3 Posts
55 views and no comments?
Old May 17, 2015, 11:45 PM
Find More Posts by subsonic
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,182 Posts
Since no-one's answered at all i'll make a comment. I figure it's quiet in your thread because most of the answers are all elsewhere in the forum. Have a look at the threads pertaining to the airframe / size you're looking at, and see how they're being used. In very general though:

A 450 sized quad is used mostly for aerial photography, often with a gimbal attached for a go pro or smaller camera. They are slow, steady and stable for capturing good images. You will use these images for storing on your stack of 2Tb+ HDDs in your top drawer at home, which you will tell yourself you will review later when you have time.

A 250 quad is the default "racing" size who's primary purpose is to hoon around stuff close to the ground at speed. It's built purely for the enjoyment of the pilot at the time, not to recreate a cinematic experience for your mates to enjoy later

I get from your post that you're more of an AP guy than one that wants to hoon around. 250 sized quads have no use for GPS and separate cameras really.

As for your question on "efficiency" short answer is yes. The larger the multirotor, generally the more payload weight is left over for you to fill with batteries to lengthen flight time. With smaller quads the payload / range curve rises at a steeper rate so adding more battery mass often makes the quad only fly slightly longer with a marked decrement in agility which takes away much of what makes the small class so appealing.

I'll add that I'm often surprised by how often people ask for information on how to "upgrade" their flight times to something over 10 minutes for a quad. I personally don't care if I get 5 minutes or 15 out of a setup. If I'm flying close to home I'll drop in and change batteries as often as I need to. I just take a stack of batteries with me to the flying site and keep going until they are all used up! If I'm flying my long range fixed wing FPV plane it's a different story. You don't get very far in 5 minutes airtime, so for exploring a countryside from the air I'd need 30 minutes minium with speed, so definitely not a quad.

I know it's just my view but these day's I wouldn't fly anything but the smaller "racing" class of quad. Perhaps you've figured this out already I consider myself an RC pilot firstly who flies for the enjoyment of the experience. I'll leave cinema productions for cinematographers to spend hours behind a computer editing films for their friends to watch. I'm sure that's just me though...

Sub.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old May 18, 2015, 09:51 AM
Find More Posts by Nicoduf
Australia, WA, Albany
Joined Oct 2014
291 Posts
I'll add in a bit as well.
I started with a 450 size because my friends generously gave me some parts. It was great to start and especially to learn LOS since the copter is a good size it helps for orientation. I got flight times of about 15 minutes which was great. After that I flew FPV with it as well.
These are great setups to learn because they are quite stable and can be quite forgiving

Then I moved to a 250, a cheap ZMR(-style) frame and these are tough as can be. Being lighter, and the props being smaller and easier to break, most of the time a crash doesn't break anything else than 1 or 2 props. I hammered mine with many crashes (most of the time unnecessary, dumb crashes) and didn't break much. I did have to replace the motors after a few months but these are only cheap.
In regards to flight time, if you are ok to sacrifice a bit of performance, you can use 2200mAh 3s batteries and get close to 10 minutes with 5030 props (probably better with 6030 props). this is with cheap turnigy 20c batteries, so you can buy several.
The big advantage for me is that you can go silly and probably don't break anything (and if you do it's cheap to replace). This is great to fly fast, do loops and rolls, etc
However for a novice, I do recommend learning LOS first, and these frame are so small (and fast) it can be hard to see what's going on

You can build a reasonably tough 450 quad too, that will allow some mistakes. A home-made wooden frame is great for a beginner, you can repair it manually and experiment with different designs easily. But if you go silly, and crash lots, the heavier quad and longer/stiffer props make it easier to do some real damage.

Also, for you first quad you probably don't need GPS. Don't make the mistake of thinking this will always save your butt. To learn to fly you should use rate or angle mode, and practice for a while until you're confident. A few weeks or months later, you will know what interest you more:
do some aerial photograpy? > get a nice GPS setup and gimbal + camera
do some racing? > get a 250 /300 size quad with FPV setup
or acro? get an light acro setup
Nicoduf is offline Find More Posts by Nicoduf
Old May 22, 2015, 11:31 PM
Joined May 2015
3 Posts
Hi and thank you for the replies

Sounds like i will be going with a 250 - 300 size. FPV racing s the ultimate goal. I just thought that if i could add a gopro at some stage it would be enough. I hear what you are saying about gps but i will be going down that road. I used to fly my old f450 in manual mode but the return to home feature is appealing to me again and i loved being able to flick the switch and have it sit there for a min. Sure its an overkill and just adding more weight however i just want something that will be easy to fly as i have not flown fpv before. As far as adding gimbal ect, yeah its not me. but if i can strap a gopro up front on the odd occasion i would be happy. The verdict, i will build a 300 size and go from there. Thank you for all the help!
Old May 24, 2015, 07:50 AM
Find More Posts by Nicoduf
Australia, WA, Albany
Joined Oct 2014
291 Posts
No worries
Just remember, the magnometer (needed for GPS functions) needs to be reasonably far from the ESCs power cables. This can be quite difficult to achieve on mini copters

All the best and enjoy
Nicoduf is offline Find More Posts by Nicoduf
Old May 26, 2015, 08:50 AM
Find More Posts by Kaffine
If I duck, you RUN
Australia, WA, Kallaroo
Joined Jan 2010
1,608 Posts
I had 450's tri's then bought a 250 and have never looked back the 450's feel like a boat to fly now which is great if you want to AP.

Good Luck with the flying
Kaffine is offline Find More Posts by Kaffine