HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:06 AM
Estonia, Harju, Tallinn
Joined May 2012
161 Posts
Discussion
Mounting a V-tail to a CF tailboom

I'm looking for an elegant way of mounting a V-tail to a non-tapered tailboom. I have googled around, but haven't found much information on the subject.

I would like to somehow mount two bagged tail panels to a carbon tube so that the panels have the desired angle between them. Also, the mount itself should be as minimalistic as possible.

Do you have any ideas on how to mount a V-tail?
martig is offline Find More Posts by martig
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:50 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,613 Posts
I generally think, "How am I going to take it apart for transport...", so would go for removable stabs.

Hopefully the picture explains most of it.

Guide tubes through the tail at the correct angle for the retaining screws, (possibly a solid core to the tail tube).
The 'nut' part built into the stab with guide tubes as well to retain alignment.

Though on a Predator I recently built, (Ok assembled, it that HK one ), the stabs have piano wire aligners, and the stabs stay there by pure friction . But it's worked so far.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:27 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,460 Posts
I like that idea. If done right all you'll see is a bolt heads and they can probably be quite small (4-40 type engine mount bolts so they won't bend on rough landings?)
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:29 AM
Estonia, Harju, Tallinn
Joined May 2012
161 Posts
I thought about doing something like this -->
Name: v-tail_mount.jpg
Views: 94
Size: 39.2 KB
Description:

The mount consists of three carbon tubes. One slides over the tailboom and the the two other slide into the stabs. I would have to build a jig to align the tubes.
I'm worried about the strength of this design. Because there will be only carbon tow holding these tubes together.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:24 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,681 Posts
On a similar vein to EflightTray, if you glue a wooden dowel into the boom and then cross drill for 3mm dia piano wire at whatever vee angle, file flats on wire diameter so that one piece can be pushed in from either side of boom and lock themselves so you don't have an offset. This is for all flying vee tail. Piano wires protrude about 150mm and tail sections held by friction but can slide off for transportation.

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:33 PM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,922 Posts
Martig, no I don't think that is optimal.

I used EflightTray's method on many small V tailed gliders (one in my blog photos), with small piano wire joiners glued into the root of the V tails, and extending into brass tubes (slightly offset) glued into the tailboom. I used tape to fix the V tails in place, and act as a nice concave fairing between the surfaces and the boom.

Neil.
Neil Stainton is offline Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:31 AM
Estonia, Harju, Tallinn
Joined May 2012
161 Posts
I'm a bit worried about accurately drilling the the wholes at the right angle into a tube or a dowel.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:55 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,681 Posts
So would I, better to use 110deg.

Make a card template with a boom sized hole in it. Draw a line across the diameter extended top and bottom, then draw similar lines at 55deg. at either side of that one. Slide the template onto the boom setting it vertical to first line and use it as a guide to drill the "cross" holes by rolling the boom so that in turn, the 55deg lines become vertical.

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:54 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,638 Posts
I've always used 110 degrees and it looks and works nice.

As for mounting, I have a balsa jig with the 110 degrees built in. I take whatever boom I will use and place it in the jig. Then I take some carbon fiber and epoxy and lay it over the boom and conform it to the boom. I lay a piece of scrap over the carbon on either side of the boom and tape it down.

Here's what it looks like when glued to the tail.
HELModels is offline Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:24 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,638 Posts
And here's the jig. I covered it in a slick iron on covering so things dont stick. Some chapstick or vaseline can help there too. I also use packing tape over things I dont want to stick.

In your case, if you made a V angle jig, you could place your tails in the jig with the boom and then lay carbon fiber over it. What you see is what you'll get basically.

I glue my tails to the boom and it isnt a problem with transport for me. When I mount the tail, I put my main wing on and turn it all upside down and then glue the V on. It makes alignment almost automatic.
HELModels is offline Find More Posts by HELModels