HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:42 PM
United States, MD, Bowie
Joined Aug 2007
9 Posts
Sweet!

I would luv to have one of these kits. Please let me know when you will have one available.

Thanks,
Marvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherof4 View Post
A few weeks ago a poster asked about the Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk and its ability to fly Classic Pattern. The thread took some twists and turns and the next thing you know Bo posted a picture of the most beautiful Classic I have ever seen, the MK Super Chipmunk 120s. I was instantly in love and knew that had to be my next project.

I wasn't shy about my affection for design and the next thing you know David chimes in that wanted one too. Thankfully for me David is a CAD wizard and an all-around great guy. Off-line we decided to work together to build electric versions of this plane. As always, Kevin has been helpful in sharing ideas as well. We have been emailing ideas back and forth and are now going public to share our plans to design and build the MK Super Chipmunk 120"e".

The plane will be faithful to its original design but will be constructed with a smooth running electric motor for power. We have also decided to construct the wing and stabalizers with a foam core technique.

Bo has been kind enough to offer to send the Cowl and Canopy from his MK origiinal kit to me so that we can have them reproduced. We cannot thank him enough for his kindness and generosity on this!!

Set Up:

Scorpion 4025-12 440 KV Motor
80-100 amp ESC
15" or 16" prop
6s 5000 mAh battery
MK Mechanical or E-Flight Electric Retracts

I have been extremely happy with my Scorpion Motor so I have convinced David to design the plane with the 4025-12 in mind. In fact, he has already purchased one and has remarked how impressed he is with the quality. This motor has a slighlty lower KV than the one used on my C4e. The design of the Super Chipmunk 120e will allow us to swing a bigger prop than my Conquest IVe. We are hopful to keep the plane in the 8.5 lbs range which should give it outstanding performance.

As with all my projects it will be SLOW. Work and family dominate my time so it will take me time. I suspect David will beat me to the air but quite some time, but that's ok. It will be cool to have matching Chippys; one on West Coast and one on the East Coast.

My goal with this project is to have a one-of-a-kind plane that I can use to fly in Classic Pattern and AMA Pattern (turn-around). I just cant bring myself to fly a pregnant guppy!

David and I will share this thread and he is poised to add post #2 and reserve post #3 right after this. We look forward to input from all of you through the process. I really appreciated the support that I received on my Conquest IVe thread and hope that we receive the same here.

Doug
marvmattporsche is offline Find More Posts by marvmattporsche
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:19 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvmattporsche View Post
I would luv to have one of these kits. Please let me know when you will have one available.

Thanks,
Marvin
Marvin,

thanks for your interest in the project. We'd love a kit too!

Stay tuned to the thread for developments.

Thanks, David

PS I'll drop you a line via PM.
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:06 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,932 Posts
We have a match!

Nothing quite like seeing your "inference" work turn out as it should have with the actual reference parts.

Cores are green to go!

David
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:45 AM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Joined May 2006
1,335 Posts
It's like Christmas here in California!!!

Look what I found just inside my door when I got home from work.

You can just imagine me trying to explain to my wife why I got a package from Sweden......

"Well, me and this guy in Canada are building a Super Chipmunk and and guy from Sweden....."

Too funny

Doug
Fatherof4 is offline Find More Posts by Fatherof4
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:30 AM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,206 Posts
Hi,
Yes... great, the box arrived in same shape as I sent it I can see, thank´s heaven (but it was made with double layers of cardboard so it is rather strong box).
As long as one send small parcels as "letter" it is rather cheap to send overseas, (from Sweden to US in my case) but to send it as "parcel" it is very expensive even for small boxes. Strange is that to send the other way as parcel, from US to Europe, it is rather cheap even with very large boxes (usually USPS International is cheapest, almost all times).

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Last edited by bossee; Dec 01, 2012 at 04:53 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:15 AM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia View Post
Bo,

Thanks for the good suggestion.

Other than the required venting, do you know if the dam to route air down and out is that important?

What kind of wood is being used in the Miss Wind for the dam? Can we get away with 3/32" balsa or does it need 1/8" lite ply?

David
Hi,

Tried to translate "dam" but could not find what it mean but I suppose it is the plate that direct the cooling air out of the air exit holes You mean.
Yes, it is important since without it the air would get trapped in the fuselage more or less, one want the air to flow in the direction and speed that is suitable for proper and efficient cooling (new fresh air enter the inlet and then move over motor-ESC-battery and then finally exit at suitable point). The general rule is that air exit hole(s) should be about 3 times bigger then air inlet hole(s).

In my Sebart Wind S 50E the material for the "dam" is a frame of 2 millimeter plywood (probably lite ply, hard to see) and it is covered with white Oracover (=Ultracote in US). That is a strong and light solution and at the same time act as a fuselage former.

The rear top deck is made of white foam covered with 1,5 (or possibly 2) millimeter light/soft balsa with a total thickness of 8 milllimeter (foam including the balsa sheeting). That is light and strong.

I took some photos that maybe will help You get some good idea for the Chipmunk electric.

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Last edited by bossee; Dec 01, 2012 at 06:46 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:53 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherof4 View Post
It's like Christmas here in California!!!

Look what I found just inside my door when I got home from work.

You can just imagine me trying to explain to my wife why I got a package from Sweden......

"Well, me and this guy in Canada are building a Super Chipmunk and and guy from Sweden....."

Too funny

Doug
Sweet! Glad to hear the transatlantic cruise went well.

Nothing quite like a Sweden-Canada-US co-production...!

David
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:02 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossee View Post
Hi,

Tried to translate "dam" but could not find what it mean but I suppose it is the plate that direct the cooling air out of the air exit holes You mean.
Bo, yes, that would be correct. A "dam" is a structure that "stops" fluids from moving from one side of it to the other. Typically used for generating hydro-electric power. In this case, it is blocking the air from flowing in to the aft of the fuse.
Quote:
The rear top deck is made of white foam covered with 1,5 (or possibly 2) millimeter light/soft balsa with a total thickness of 8 milllimeter (foam including the balsa sheeting). That is light and strong.
We thought about using foam for the decks. Thing is, doing it with wood, per the design, is just about the same amount of work and one doesn't have to deal with wood to foam joints and underlying structure. We might do foam on a subsequent design depending on how this project goes. I have always liked the Zlin and it might lend itself better to foam decks but one thing at a time...

Quote:
I took some photos that maybe will help You get some good idea for the Chipmunk electric.
/Bo
Yes, the pictures are useful - thanks. I have gotten plenty of ideas in drawing from seeing how things are done in ARF's. I still haven't quite figured out how to integrate the dam into the Chippy given we have servos in the center of the model rather than just having to run servo leads. In other words, we have pushrods and P-P cables to deal with. A possibility is to simply open the bottom of the fuse for air flow further back so the air would flow straight through. In this case, a dam, while maybe not necessary, might be easier to implement. 1/8" lite ply makes sense for it.

David
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Sep 2005
4 Posts
Hi David:

When do you expect to have this kit available?
David
DC10 is offline Find More Posts by DC10
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:17 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,932 Posts
Hi David,

Welcome to the forum! It's an honor to have your first post in 7 years on our thread.

We are slowly but surely gathering up all necessities to bring this project together. Today we sorted out the canopy and we should have the reproductions before the holidays. The cores and cowl will depend on time availability as we're doing them "internally". Hopefully also by the end of the year. The CAD work is finished and I've established contact with a new cutter (my old one isn't available). We'll have to cut a first proto for costing purposes and design check.

I'd say that by some time in January we might have kits in hand ready for building and if all looks good, we should be able to produce a few more. However, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, the kits will likely be numbered.

Please stay tuned to the thread for developments.

David
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:42 PM
Joined Sep 2005
4 Posts
Thanks David, look forward having one of your kit.
Best regards
David
DC10 is offline Find More Posts by DC10
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:08 PM
United States, MO, St Peters
Joined Nov 2012
7 Posts
Very much interested in your project here!! Always had a soft spot for the Super Chipmunk growing up. With my love of pattern flying, this fits in nicely. This whole classic pattern revival has inspired me to get my plans built UFO flying again. Definitely count me in on one of your kits!!!
MadDogger is offline Find More Posts by MadDogger
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:21 PM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Joined May 2006
1,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDogger View Post
Very much interested in your project here!! Always had a soft spot for the Super Chipmunk growing up. With my love of pattern flying, this fits in nicely. This whole classic pattern revival has inspired me to get my plans built UFO flying again. Definitely count me in on one of your kits!!!
Mad,

Post some pictures of your UFO on the "Who's Flying Classic Pattern" thread. (or here on this thread) We'd all love to see it.

Doug
Fatherof4 is offline Find More Posts by Fatherof4
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:11 PM
Joined Nov 2012
7 Posts
I will certainly post a picture when done. That project is with others in my winter building cue......just going slow right now.....real life is just getting the way of my hobby fun :
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:55 PM
Joined Nov 2012
7 Posts
Any updates to add?