HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:01 AM
Topsham, Me
Joined Dec 2003
448 Posts
Any feasible way to use an outrunner motor on the fan unit rather than an inrunner. I happen to have a bunch of outrunner's that would certainly turn the fan sufficient to fly this plane. Thanks.
ejohn is offline Find More Posts by ejohn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2011, 07:56 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,204 Posts
The motor I used in my build is an outrunner
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:02 PM
Joined Oct 2010
11 Posts
I love this plane but I only fly it as a glider. I'm still new to flying but the Syncro is quickly building my confidence. Oh and I get to practice rolling take-off and landings!
Here is what I did my build with:
Eflight 400 in-runner, Detrum 25A ESC and 9g micro servos (x4), Spektrum AR500, skylipo 1800 mah 3S 20C.
Oh and I put 2 T-pro 9g servos in the sport wing.
JetBoater02 is offline Find More Posts by JetBoater02
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:36 PM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Right with ya on that one.
D_FAST is offline Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:45 PM
RC Senior member
United States, KS, Haysville
Joined May 2011
14 Posts
I could use some advice??

Well here is where a 22 year RC vet becomes humbled. I currently have 14 EDF's in my hanger. 64mm being the smallest 101mm the largest and everything in between. However I have always prefered outrunners and that is all I own and run. This plane is at one of my local hobbyshops and I was looking into it for my wife who is starting to learn in the hobby. yes she has mastered 4 ch. props. She has also flown one of my 70mm Wings makers J-10b dragons with a buddy box. She isn't ready to land an edf yet. I am trying to find a decent motor that will not need modification but have heard only bad things about Ammo inrunners. She wants to build this ARF also which I think is great because you learn so much about flying from building. Any cheap decent motors you guys could recommend? Yes I could order any 24mm 4040kv inrunner but I would love some suggestions. Thanks everyone.
vizzuleyes is offline Find More Posts by vizzuleyes
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:09 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,204 Posts
I have sold many of the Wicked 4800 motors for 3S lipo use on this model. More power than stock or the Wicked 4000 for stock like power.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:54 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
I wonder what happened to this thread? I think this looks like a pretty cool little plane/build. I am seriously thinking about it for my next plane. With the 4800 motor, running it on 3s. When do you think you will have the 40 amp esc's in stock again? Also, I see that you used the stock fan, but if I buy one from you then I can have it balanced, and save having to ship you the stock fan? What is the centering ring made of?
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:21 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,204 Posts
ESCs are in transit and due middle of next week. I do not sell the stock fan unit for this plane it is specially made for this plane. The centering ring is made from 1/8" thick foam.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:28 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Thank you. So then the only way to get the balance option is to send the unit in to you? Are 40c rated battery mandatory or can one get by with a good 25c 2,200 (3s) if running the 4800?
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:37 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,204 Posts
If you want it balanced then you would have to send the fan unit and the brass rotor adapters that come with it to me. The only other option would be for me to buy the fan unit from Tower hobbies and charge you for it which will be more than postage to send it to me. What guys have done in the past was to simply send me the pod and fan unit to me and I would assemble balance and install the thrust tube and centering ring so it was all ready to mount to the plane. If you are running 3S a 2200 25 C is fine.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:29 PM
United States, TX, El Paso
Joined Jan 2011
264 Posts
synro Thrust tube

Fabricated "The Don's" thrust tube from his cutout plan and tested it.
See pictures for results. IMO, not worth the effort.
oldsamer is offline Find More Posts by oldsamer
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:14 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,204 Posts
Thrust tubes do not gain static thrust they increase dynamic thrust in flight and your test results prove just that. To achieve the same thrust with a smaller outlet nozzle (thrust tube installed) means the velocity of the air coming out is much faster than without the thrust tube installed. This means the top speed of the model will be higher with the thrust tube than without it installed. That is the purpose of a thrust tube, to gain top end speed not to maintain low end thrust. Also they are generally installed when there is excess power to be harnessed. The stock power system on this plane is really only enough to make it fly around. So a thrust tube may not increase the top end speed really as it needs almost all the thrust it makes just to fly at a normal speed. If you put in a high power system like I did then you have extra power to play with so the increased efflux speed makes the model fly faster, typically 8-10 mph is gained over not having one. So for the stock motor on 3S I would agree to not install the thrust tube, but only because the stock watts are too low, not because the trust tube concept does not work. I just want to make that distinction.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Jan 14, 2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:38 AM
United States, TX, El Paso
Joined Jan 2011
264 Posts
speed gun

OoK, so I gotta convince the club to invest in a speed gun when they want an in-door john for the girls.

What I'am about right now is;
1. finding a cheaper motor for the syncro
2. More thrust to fly bigger FPV cameras on extra high drag all terrain syncro gliders.
oldsamer is offline Find More Posts by oldsamer
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:37 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,204 Posts
Since the fan size is fixed the only way to get more thrust is by increasing the rpm so higher kv or higher voltage battery (4S instead of 3S) or a combination of both. The motors I sell for this fan are $30, if you need a cheaper motor then that then you have to ask in the general thread in the foamy EDF forum for this model and see what others have to say. Since this is my vendor forum, I only give advice and support on the product line I sell on my website.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Jan 17, 2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:35 AM
you can always go faster!
United States, IN, Clear Lake
Joined Jun 2011
33 Posts
Hey love what you have done with your syncro! So if I sent you the fan you could balance it and match a hot motor with it? I am considering just trying a evader motor first but I have a spare fan and I seen what you have done and like it
jfrederick is offline Find More Posts by jfrederick