HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:27 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt007 View Post
I've now replaced both motors and the frame. The lower blade still doesn't spin... I'm thinking the shaft might be slightly bent but it's hard to tell. I'm going to try a new battery with it and if that doesn't work it's going to the hobby shop.
If you remove the motors from the frame (or disengage the motor pinion gears from the maingears) do both motors spin freely when you give it throttle? If so then I'd recommend disassembling the mainshafts, cleaning them, and looking for any place that might be binding. If not, then I'd recommend making sure that your motors are connected properly to the 5-in-1. Try swapping motors--does the motor that spins work in the socket of the one that doesn't? Does the non-spinning motor work in the socket of the motor that does spin?

That should at least help you isolate the problem... or you can take it back to the LHS and have them look at it.

Good luck with it! I know how frustrating a non-working heli can be...
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:53 AM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,628 Posts
@walt007, If you have the gameboy type TX try re-centering all your trims. Before my DX6i I had the gameboy TX. It crashed, I did the repair and had NO blades spin up. Only had servo movement. I re-centered the trims and BINGO, back in action. BTW, bring your trims maxing them out both ways,,,...then center.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:54 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
If you remove the motors from the frame (or disengage the motor pinion gears from the maingears) do both motors spin freely when you give it throttle? If so then I'd recommend disassembling the mainshafts, cleaning them, and looking for any place that might be binding. If not, then I'd recommend making sure that your motors are connected properly to the 5-in-1. Try swapping motors--does the motor that spins work in the socket of the one that doesn't? Does the non-spinning motor work in the socket of the motor that does spin?

That should at least help you isolate the problem... or you can take it back to the LHS and have them look at it.

Good luck with it! I know how frustrating a non-working heli can be...
Yeah what he said
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:02 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
I have nearly completed my mCX2 S300, It is lower than low, so low in fact that it could quite possibly parachute out of a snakes ass

Also I have been tinkering with the lighting system on my pod and boom mCX2, and I just purchased the parts to complete what will be arguably the best mCX2 tailboom in the world, here is my plan:

However the good news is that due to the way these parts are sold, I will have left over parts for another 9 tailbooms. So after I have completed the first one on my mCX2, assuming its a success, would any one be interested in buying one???????????
I have now made 5 of these tail booms and corresponding light harnesses, which I am selling. I am not going to make anymore than 5 because it is too much hard work for how much I can sell them for. I'll get some pics up in the next day or 2, aswell as get them on ebay
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:10 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
@walt007, If you have the gameboy type TX try re-centering all your trims. Before my DX6i I had the gameboy TX. It crashed, I did the repair and had NO blades spin up. Only had servo movement. I re-centered the trims and BINGO, back in action. BTW, bring your trims maxing them out both ways,,,...then center.

Mike.
It happened to me too, this is just after i bought my first RTF mCX2. So naturally I thought it was broken and I took it back to my LHS. The guy there had a brief look at it then whipped my TX under the counter (while he tried to discretly centre the trims). When he brought it back up he said "look magic" and proceeded to fly around the room. After he landed several people there (including himself) laughed at me FERS!!!
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Aug 2012
23 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. I'm don't think I have a few pieces connected correctly and at this point I figure I'm just going to take it in. I've spent enough time with it... I figure they can check it out in person and give me some advice so I know what to do for next time.
walt007 is offline Find More Posts by walt007
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:28 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,871 Posts
Yeah, you can learn a lot from a really helpful person. Just hope it's not the guy who is just trying to sell you stuff you don't want.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:54 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,704 Posts
I will let you guys know when they are on ebay

They will look like the light kit on my S300, just with the mCX2 tail boom instead

My mCX2 S300 SMD LED Tail Light Conversion 1.avi (0 min 32 sec)

Last edited by valiantGLX; Aug 24, 2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:57 AM
Joined Aug 2012
23 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, you can learn a lot from a really helpful person. Just hope it's not the guy who is just trying to sell you stuff you don't want.
Yea, that's true. This shop has a good reputation though... they didn't seem be high pressure at all when I purchased my Dx6i and Phoenix.

The charge to repair the heli would be $20 which is better than the $30 another shop was charging.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:35 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,871 Posts
$20 is a good price for that. You could easily spend that much and more just buying spares to experiment with figuring out which parts might need to be swapped out. Hope you're up and flying soon!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:13 AM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Joined Mar 2008
11,628 Posts
Quote:
$20 is a good price for that. You could easily spend that much and more just buying spares to experiment with figuring out which parts might need to be swapped out. Hope you're up and flying soon!
If the part(s) didn't work, consider them "spare" parts that wouldn't go to waste IMHO, we could have walked him through the fix. I had no idea he had a DX6i. Does he have Valiant's DX6i numbers dialed in? Did he swap the motors as you suggested to isolate a possible motor problem? I'm a bit confused about this $20.00. Is that to "actually" fix the problem? Or just to look at it and parts and labor to be figured in as extra? What if it's the 5in1? Certainly $20.00 will not cover that. Heck, the board goes for $60.00.

@walt007, If you plan to stay in the hobby for a while you have to let us help you. There is nothing on these helis we can't fix. We've all been there for each other avoiding a trip to the LHS. When you fix something yourself and maybe with the help of others, there is a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction that no $20.00 can buy Anyway, good luck man. I really mean that.

Mike.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:45 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,687 Posts
Quote:
LOL! Just don't tell Heli Pad. He's against helicopter cruelty, you know.
I heard my name!
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:34 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Joined Mar 2008
11,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by npm View Post
As mentioned in a previous post my friends and I fly combat (full contact) 3-4 nights a week. We run probably 8-10 batteries per session through each copter (I hate to think what has been spent on batteries and chargers). A few batteries are the smaller ones that came with the copter (120?) and the rest are 150, both sizes are 25C. When flying we are very hard on the throttle, only stopping long enough to pick them up and put them back in the air when they crash. Usually we run them until the voltage is so low the copters fall out of the air and often only allow a 2-3 minutes for the motors to cool before getting back at it. I think in the last two years I only recall two melted main frames. My thought is its a motor problem where friction builds up causing the motor to run hot. The motor on the melted side is replaced along with a new main frame when it gets melted. We now change motors when when they get "knotchy" on rotation which I believe might be the precursor to them running hot enough to melt the frame.

I should post up a picture of what these things look like after thousands of mid air collisions. Compared to the pristine machines you guys post up ours look like battle weary war wagons held together with a lot of tape. I've got to find somebody with a good enough camera to record the combat sessions, we tried with a cheaper one and it really wasn't worth watching the recording. It's got to be entertaining watching three grown men laugh themselves silly as they try and knock each other down.
Quote:
LOL! Just don't tell Heli Pad. He's against helicopter cruelty, you know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
I heard my name!
@npm, I think you're next in line for a "cold wet noodle" whooping

Mike.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:16 PM
npm
Portland OR
Joined Jan 2003
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
@npm, I think you're next in line for a "cold wet noodle" whooping

Mike.
I'm working on getting some still pictures up in the next day or so, then let the whooping begin. :
npm is offline Find More Posts by npm
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:45 AM
Joined Aug 2012
23 Posts
valiantGLX,

I'm attempting to enter your settings into my Dx6i but running into some issues (on my end). I've got no forward elevator and the back seems to be weak. This is my first time configuring the radio. Throttle and rudder are perfect though. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?