SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 14, 2014, 07:04 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,762 Posts
From Xandrios instructions (my emphasis)

Pins 23-36 upside are 12V
Pins 1-13 (or 17) downside are 12V Return/ground

So connect to any of pins 1-13 or 17, whichever is most convenient.

The 5V ground would almost certainly work as well but you will be using these as 12V supplies so use the ground designed for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbebo1982 View Post
Hi,
i have got six Compaq/HP DS-SE2UP-AB 499W SAN Power Supplies!
This post http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1251 describes how to start the Server NT.
There are several pins that should go to ground but which ground is meant here? Server case ground or any 12V ground?

Is it possible to get two of them in series for 24V?

B.R.
Benjamin Boy
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2014, 07:36 AM
Joined Nov 2014
2 Posts
Thx, so far i will try that!

Well i got another bunch of PS-5501-1C power supplies.
In this post the user writes how to use it: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2379

But the supply does not have all these pins here some pictures the upper side of the back starts on left with pin A1 and ends on right with pin A32. I have opened it and dont find any pins which are described in the post!
rcbebo1982 is offline Find More Posts by rcbebo1982
Old Nov 14, 2014, 05:36 PM
Mini CP - Nano CPX - Devo 6
United States, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Nov 2010
205 Posts
Has anyone had their DPS-1200FBA stop outputting power after floating the DC ground? I bought two of these units to run in series, and followed the RChelination write-up to float the ground on one of them. Prior to the modification, both units put out 12.3V perfectly. The floated unit now outputs around 0.3V and the LED light doesn't come on. I've verified with my multimeter that the DC ground is indeed floated (infinite resistance between output terminals and the case) and the AC ground is still intact (continuity between each output terminal and ground prong on the AC input plug).

I've also made sure that there's no cross-connectivity between where I soldered the resistors. One of the terminals between 33 and 38 does still put out 12.3v, I dont recall which one it was. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Couchking is offline Find More Posts by Couchking
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:43 AM
Joined Sep 2014
7 Posts
i just finished the 39k SMT resistor mod for the fan speed on the JD200 an i can say thats one of the hardest things i ever had to soilder.....the pins you need to hook to are flat an about 1/8th inch appart.....anywho after burning up 2 resistors i got one to stick. put backtogether an fans was so quiet i thought they wasent on an i broke it.....super duper quiet.....tempeture test next!
150 db is offline Find More Posts by 150 db
Old Nov 16, 2014, 12:01 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchking View Post
Has anyone had their DPS-1200FBA stop outputting power after floating the DC ground?...
Whenever I have something like this happen I back out my mods and try again. So far I am batting 100.
Another thing to look for is a piecs of metal, wire strands or solder that fell deep into the supply and is shorting a circuit. I had that many times. Take it apart and blow out with high pressure air and try again.

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Nov 19, 2014, 03:57 PM
Belgium
Joined Sep 2006
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davovinch View Post
UPDATE: As the temperature in my basement has dropped I have noticed an increasing number of faults leading to shutdown. I isolated the supplies and disconnected them from the charger and they still fault.
Aiming a heat gun at the air intake solved the problem.
For now I have placed the supplies in a box with a low wattage bulb to maintain temperature
I'd like to find a more sophisticated solution.
You and me both! I have 6 of these babies from scrapped servers at work, but they all cut out when they are not warm enough. Hairdryer does the trick, but is a bit cumbersome. There must be some way to bypass or adjust that low temperature cutout. Unfortunately nobody seems to know how.
u4eake is offline Find More Posts by u4eake
Old Nov 19, 2014, 04:11 PM
United States, PA, Meadville
Joined Feb 2011
188 Posts
u4eake I feel your pain. There must be some sensor in there that can be tricked or bypassed with a resistor.
davovinch is offline Find More Posts by davovinch
Old Nov 21, 2014, 08:22 AM
United States, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Aug 2002
296 Posts
Just converted a HP 1200-FB. Simplest server to hobby ready power supply job I've ever done. You don't need to open the case. Soldered a 330ohm 1Watt resistor between pins 33 and 36. The magic green light came on and posted 12.3V. That little supply is a powerhouse at 12V alone. I got two for $49 shipped on fleabay but might not even bother going with 24v. Thanks to all who have posted their mods. Link to one of the posts that helped me below.

**** Note that the I only needed to add the resistor you see below as I'm not floating the ground needed for 24V. *If you are going to run 12V only don't float the ground !!!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...b#post25145599
wuudogg is offline Find More Posts by wuudogg
Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM
France, PACA, Roquebillière
Joined Jan 2011
54 Posts
Hello.
I changed my diet "DELL NPS-700AB A" as pictured here: http://goo.gl/vbU0fl
except that I added a switch to on and turn off the power supply but when she put out and fan it restarts ?? how can that "it remains at the bus stop when the power and put out ??

watch the video below :
Fan restart after power off "dell NPS-700AB A" ??? (0 min 43 sec)

thank you.
toutoune06 is offline Find More Posts by toutoune06
Last edited by toutoune06; Yesterday at 02:43 PM.