New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2016, 10:58 PM
Find More Posts by twlanoy
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Nov 2015
245 Posts
Discussion
Talk about pathetic!

Got interested in RC last Nov. Purchased a HH Sport Cub S w/safe, new DX6i for Christmas and a DX5e for backup. Ended up binding the SCS to the DX5e and purchased two extra batteries. Now have 3 planes, the 2 transmitters and 5 LemonRC satellite receivers. Joined the AMA and a local flying club.

Here's the pathetic part. June approaches fast and I've still not flown one time. Don't laugh but, seems I suffer from fear of crashing and destroying my hard earned money! Gonna have to give myself a swift kick in the keester I guess.
twlanoy is online now Find More Posts by twlanoy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2016, 11:03 PM
Find More Posts by BMatthews
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
14,366 Posts
The big reason for joining a club is to get access to instructors. Let them help you out and take the fear of an early crash away.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old May 26, 2016, 11:07 PM
Joined Nov 2015
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews View Post
The big reason for joining a club is to get access to instructors. Let them help you out and take the fear of an early crash away.
And right you are! So far, I've only met with the VP and have yet to go to the field and meet with other members. Going to try and do that this weekend if weather co-ops. I also have a couple of disabilities that are hindering me.
Old May 27, 2016, 03:21 AM
Find More Posts by Tony K
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,229 Posts
It's part of the game T, but the better you get, the less u crash. Most if the time. Get out there and have some fun with those planes.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old May 27, 2016, 07:11 AM
Find More Posts by mcnowhere
Look out below
United States, OR, McMinnville
Joined Aug 2011
1,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twlanoy View Post
I also have a couple of disabilities that are hindering me.
June issue of ModelAviation mag has a pic of a young man with no arms flying rc. You can fly too.
mcnowhere is offline Find More Posts by mcnowhere
Old May 27, 2016, 07:53 AM
Find More Posts by Bradley Crandall
Joined Apr 2005
600 Posts
Crashing.

If you fly you crash.
We all do or did.
A simulator will help.
Remember to cut throttle before the crash, it prevents more damage.
In the beginning don't fly in any wind and use a bigger area then the instructions suggest.

It won't take long and you'll get the hang of it.
Just have fun.
Bradley Crandall is online now Find More Posts by Bradley Crandall
Old May 27, 2016, 08:13 AM
Find More Posts by glidarflyar
Joined Jun 2008
337 Posts
instructors usually use a buddy box

so they can take over when you're headed for a crash

I've taught many who still have their original trainers. Check and see if your 2 TXs can BBox. It will save your instructor a bit of bother and make it simpler for you.
glidarflyar is offline Find More Posts by glidarflyar
Old May 27, 2016, 09:47 AM
Find More Posts by tomsza
DCS Ground Pounder
United States, WI, Bloomer
Joined Mar 2013
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidarflyar View Post
instructors usually use a buddy box

so they can take over when you're headed for a crash

I've taught many who still have their original trainers. Check and see if your 2 TXs can BBox. It will save your instructor a bit of bother and make it simpler for you.
+1 on the buddy box. I would find a seasoned RC pilot in your club to check your plane over and maiden it (with you on the BB). Flying is 90% hand/eye/muscle memory. Another reason to put in stick time on a sim. I've been flying on and off for 40+ years, and I still sweat a maiden.
tomsza is online now Find More Posts by tomsza
Old May 27, 2016, 10:19 AM
Find More Posts by silenttuba
Play Low, Fly High
United States, NJ, North Bergen
Joined Feb 2016
62 Posts
I just had my first successful outing this morning. I probably got interested about the same time as you, but I sat on it...didn't buy a plane until the end of April (also a Sport Cub S). Took it out before I was ready, and had a fly away. Horizon sent me a replacement (very generous of them!), and but, like you, I was very nervous and cautious...did not want a repeat of the same problem.

Finally went out this morning. Brought five batteries, hoping I'd get to use more than one before I had a crash. Ended up using all five, and had an absolute blast! Now I CAN'T WAIT to get out and fly again!

Get out there and fly! Take the Sport Cub, and don't worry about crashing. I gave mine a few hard landings today (all on the wheels, but some of them I came in a little hot and bounced and flipped it), but she's none the worse for wear. Even if you do crash, I'm sure you've watched some repair videos and done plenty of reading (I know I did), so you know you can fix just about anything you damage. Go have fun!
silenttuba is offline Find More Posts by silenttuba
Old May 27, 2016, 11:24 AM
Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
5,772 Posts
I know you've flown ONE time , and very well !
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old May 27, 2016, 12:15 PM
Find More Posts by mybad
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
United States, MI, Novi
Joined Jan 2011
880 Posts
Like many of us, I was self taught and had many crashes. Some say that experience is the best teacher, but it is also the most expensive one.

Since you have joined a club, I suggest you postpone your first flight until you meet with an instructor. In one hour, you will easily learn what we learned the hard way. I also suspect that your instructor will bind your plane to your Dx6 (or is it really a Dx6i?) and show you how some of the computer programming works (Dual Rates, expo, etc).

A word about "crashes". Most crashes are not the spectaular nose dives into the ground that you might be imagining. Many are "misunderstandings" with the earth that happen during take-off or landings. A nick here and there, and maybe some foam to glue back. Maybe a part to replace. In many cases, you can be flying again the same day. However, it is a fact of life that every aircraft has an expiration date! If you are fortunate, that day is a long way off. If you are really fortunate, that date is AFTER you sell your plane!

Good luck and happy flying!
mybad is offline Find More Posts by mybad
Old May 27, 2016, 01:26 PM
Find More Posts by eflightray
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
16,675 Posts
If you don't want to crash, .... fly free flight models. (But beware of angry model hating trees).

If you must add controls such as radio control, then expect the occasional 'Woops!'.

Just be grateful you haven't bought a full size single seat plane to learn in

How do you think I feel when I have that first flight of a large scratch built multi-motor model ?

No, .... actually, reasonably calm. I think about flying the model and not about crashing, mainly because of doing all the necessary checks beforehand it gives me some confidence, ..... and perhaps there is a little bit of experience involved

But then there is only one way to gain experience

Ray.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old May 27, 2016, 02:29 PM
Find More Posts by Rampage
DFS#000178
United States, CA, Twentynine Palms
Joined Aug 2005
6,498 Posts
Crashing happens. We all crash. You will crash. Guys that fly $20,000 turbine jets crash. Guys that fly at Scale Masters crash.

Don't worry about it. It's inevitable. Get out there and enjoy your planes.
Rampage is offline Find More Posts by Rampage
Old May 27, 2016, 06:50 PM
Joined Nov 2015
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
I know you've flown ONE time , and very well !
Al, that was a great time too and I've tried to remember all that you suggested. I am going to go to the field tomorrow and hopefully introduce myself to whomever might be there. I am going to take the SCS along and see if someone can look it over and make sure all is in order.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys! Really appreciate the feedback. Look for a future post of me getting it done.
Old May 27, 2016, 07:43 PM
Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
5,772 Posts
Anytime you're in Portland - if you have the time - we can fly !
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon