New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2015, 09:30 AM
Find More Posts by rcnutt
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
2,180 Posts
Discussion
Best 1s lipo?

I have been having battery problems-- that is the motor kicks out as soon as I power it up. What is the best 1s lipo around 150- 170mah? And where can I buy some? I have been using 130 mah 1 cells that has the same plug as the Vapor from Value Hobby. I'm not having much luck with them. RCNutt
rcnutt is offline Find More Posts by rcnutt
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2015, 09:58 AM
Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,890 Posts
What is the specific application you are using the battery in? Early on I thought I was losing motors, but it turned out to be brand name batteries that were not up to the task.

This is the only cell I've found in the last couple years with a reasonable service life in my most demanding applications. The umx Extra300 3D, AS3Xtra and nano QX. These micros eat batteries alive. Note that they are always charged at 1C and flown on a 4 min flight timer. I don't charge at the flying site.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/EFLB1501S45

Glacier used to have a 160 mAh cell that was comparable and lighter, but I'm told they are no longer manufactured.

The Thunder Power cells this size started out very strong, but gave up within the span of a indoor season of weekly flying.

Hyperion cells performance was on par, but only one or two out of 6 made to the end of the indoor season here in MI (Nov-Mar).

Every Turnigy cell I've used in this size range was junk.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:21 AM
Find More Posts by alset
Gunbarrel, CO
Joined Dec 2006
160 Posts
Lipos don't last forever. But suppose that a lipo (that is not used) is stored and diligently kept at the recommended charge. What is the expected shelf life of this lipo?
alset is offline Find More Posts by alset
Old Dec 21, 2015, 02:00 PM
Find More Posts by PatricMichigan
United States, MI, Hillsdale
Joined Apr 2008
698 Posts
these are doing well for us here at the store: http://giantpowerlipos.myshopify.com...80mah-lipo-25c
PatricMichigan is online now Find More Posts by PatricMichigan
Old Dec 21, 2015, 03:45 PM
Find More Posts by rcnutt
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
2,180 Posts
I wonder if these are as good? 150mAh 1S 3.7V 45C LiPo Battery (EFLB1501S45)
E-flite They are both rather expensive I see. RCNutt
rcnutt is offline Find More Posts by rcnutt
Old Dec 21, 2015, 03:48 PM
Find More Posts by I R Irv
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
2,009 Posts
Patric those almost sound to good to be true. If they out perform the HH 150/45c you got yourself a winner.
I see a sweet looking 6 X 1cell charger on your site also,and at a reasonable price.
http://giantpowerlipos.myshopify.com...alkera-dromida
I R Irv is online now Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Feb 18, 2016, 09:14 AM
Find More Posts by BuddyRc Doug
Joined Apr 2014
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff View Post
What is the specific application you are using the battery in? Early on I thought I was losing motors, but it turned out to be brand name batteries that were not up to the task.

This is the only cell I've found in the last couple years with a reasonable service life in my most demanding applications. The umx Extra300 3D, AS3Xtra and nano QX. These micros eat batteries alive. Note that they are always charged at 1C and flown on a 4 min flight timer. I don't charge at the flying site.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/EFLB1501S45

Glacier used to have a 160 mAh cell that was comparable and lighter, but I'm told they are no longer manufactured.

The Thunder Power cells this size started out very strong, but gave up within the span of a indoor season of weekly flying.

Hyperion cells performance was on par, but only one or two out of 6 made to the end of the indoor season here in MI (Nov-Mar).

Every Turnigy cell I've used in this size range was junk.
GOOD NEWS... The Glacier 1S 160 is back in stock!
BuddyRc Doug is offline Find More Posts by BuddyRc Doug
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:05 PM
Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRc Doug View Post
GOOD NEWS... The Glacier 1S 160 is back in stock!
Just in time for outdoor season

Just kidding. Pleased to hear that they are available again.

Will the mCPX cells be back too? A couple of mine have fallen off after 3 indoor seasons.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2016, 01:16 PM
Find More Posts by steve_o73
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Mar 2014
134 Posts
Giant Power 180mAh, 50C, 4.5g. Seem to have more punch than the Eflite 150mAh, 45C.
steve_o73 is offline Find More Posts by steve_o73
Old Feb 19, 2016, 01:20 AM
Find More Posts by 1auriec
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined May 2011
381 Posts
I've had good success with this one, which I bought here:

http://www.gearbest.com/multi-rotor-...pp_218241.html

Good price/power ratio, and they seem to be holding up well. I use them in my Eachine H8 Mini quadcopter, and they have more punch and longer flight times than the others I've tried. The label says you can charge at 5C, but I stick to 1C.
1auriec is offline Find More Posts by 1auriec
Old Feb 19, 2016, 06:05 AM
Find More Posts by mtflyr
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
4,356 Posts
I like the Eflite 150's but just ordered 5 of the GiantPower 180's to give them a try they sound good and there was a coupon for 10% off.

Pete
mtflyr is online now Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Feb 19, 2016, 07:18 AM
Find More Posts by Vince Herman
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Nov 2000
2,745 Posts
This subject comes up a lot.
My best solution is to buy a lot of super cheap batteries.
At $1.47 a piece, if 2 out of 100 are dead on delivery? who cares?
With 98 left, I have unlimited flight time at each session.
I sell them to all the other club members at $2.00 (which is cost after shipping and minimal product loss).
If any individual battery fails, who cares? I have a zillion more.

I write the purchase year on them with a sharpie. After a year or two, they are giveaways for any youngsters with a new UMX that only has 1 battery.

This give me the lowest cost per flight, the highest flight time availability and the least hassle.

Hobby King
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...zone_Etc_.html
Vince Herman is offline Find More Posts by Vince Herman
Old Feb 19, 2016, 07:54 AM
Find More Posts by mtflyr
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
4,356 Posts
VH,
I love those cheap HK 160's too that's why they're out of stock all the time. Just saying

Pete
mtflyr is online now Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:30 AM
Find More Posts by ruzam
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Herman View Post
My best solution is to buy a lot of super cheap batteries.
I'm completely on board with this philosophy!

If you're flexible (and/or handy), the same cells often come in different formats for even less (and no back order). There's a slight premium for the e-flite compatible plugs.

Turnigy nano-tech 160mah 1S 25~40C Lipo Pack (Fits Align Trex 100)

It's a little fiddly but not that hard to replace the plug caps. Depending on the use, the cap may just be another blob of dead weight you can eliminate too!

If you're into modding your own plugs, there are also other selections from HK that are in stock and still cheaper (if your application isn't very demanding).
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Feb 19, 2016, 01:06 PM
Find More Posts by CraigHB
it wasn't me
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Dec 2014
2,579 Posts
I have good luck with the nano-tech 300mAh 1s batteries. For the smaller batts I've been using the eFlight 150mah 45C batteries. I haven't tried the nano-techs that size myself, but I've read people are not particularly happy with them. The 300mAh ones work well for me though.

I wish they sold the small 1s batts with wires instead of those caps glued on. Those PicoBlade and JST-PH connectors they use are a big source of voltage loss. I use 2mm bullets when possible. I can get the 300mAh nano-tech ones with wires, but not the smaller ones. I've not had any luck removing the caps, always mangles the battery leads.
CraigHB is online now Find More Posts by CraigHB