Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Nov 22, 2015, 11:07 AM
Find More Posts by fwroberts
Rick Roberts
United States, MA, Montague
Joined Aug 2012
323 Posts
Discussion
Any pictures of a Supra Expert Electric build?

Hi all.

Anyone care to share some pictures of their Supra Expert Electric? My only experience is with the Supra Pro with servos in the tail and full flying stab.

In particular, I'm interested in seeing closeups of:
- servo tray in fuse
- pushrod connections at the tail end
- inside of fuse: battery, esc, rx locations

Any discussion about your experience building the kit is much appreciated...which layup, powertrain, servos, LDS?, and anything you wish you would have done differently.

thanks in advance,
Rick
fwroberts is offline Find More Posts by fwroberts
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2015, 02:13 PM
Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
11,211 Posts
Hopefully Eremenko will chime in. .. I bought an E Supra from him and the fuse was immaculate.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:57 PM
Rick Roberts
Joined Aug 2012
323 Posts
Kenny-I have the supra pro with the servos in the tail, plenty room in the fuse. I think the supra expert is a little different and has the servos in the fuse. I'm hoping someone can post some pictures that show this.

Rick
Old Nov 30, 2015, 04:57 PM
Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
11,211 Posts
I didn't know about the Extra... Here's a couple of pictures of my fuse, and it has servos and a ballast tube in it... I really don't know what type of Supra it is.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Nov 30, 2015, 09:31 PM
Rick Roberts
Joined Aug 2012
323 Posts
Thanks Kenny.

The Supra Expert is the latest version from Vladimir's Model. I wanted to know whether servo trays for the fuse-mounted servos are included in the kit. Hopefully someone will post a photo of the Expert fuse and tail..

Rick
Old Dec 01, 2015, 01:49 AM
Find More Posts by Imageek2
Bad command or file name
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Jan 2013
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwroberts View Post
Thanks Kenny.

The Supra Expert is the latest version from Vladimir's Model. I wanted to know whether servo trays for the fuse-mounted servos are included in the kit. Hopefully someone will post a photo of the Expert fuse and tail..

Rick
The tail is the main difference.

Tom
Imageek2 is offline Find More Posts by Imageek2
Old Dec 01, 2015, 06:20 PM
Rick Roberts
Joined Aug 2012
323 Posts
Thanks Tom. You're right, that is different.

Is the tail in the photo your model?

Rick
Old Dec 01, 2015, 09:45 PM
Find More Posts by Imageek2
Bad command or file name
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Jan 2013
733 Posts
No, I grabbed a photo from the web 😃. I have 2 Supra Pro Competitions (F3J). A couple of guys in my club are flying the Expert. The Expert stab has an elevator, it is not full flying. Both the stab and the rudder are fully carbon. The stab attaches to the fuse with 4 small screws, not the impossible to find sleeve nut 😳.

The nose section looks different to me as well. I think they beefed up the nose just in front of the pylon. One of mine cracked there twice.

My buddies brand new ST Expert came in around 52 ounces. That is about 3 ounces lighter than my ST Pro. I hopefully have an Expert fuse coming, it looks like a nice upgrade.

Tom
Imageek2 is offline Find More Posts by Imageek2
Old Dec 02, 2015, 06:19 AM
Rick Roberts
Joined Aug 2012
323 Posts
Thanks again Tom. I don't fly F3J so mine will have a motor. I have a Supra Pro electric, have lost the sleeve nut that holds the stab numerous times and have repaired the fuse just in front of the pylon twice too. I'm guessing the F5J Expert will have the same tail section and beefier nose in front of the pylon.

In the Supra Pro electric, the servos were placed in the tail to balance against the motor up front. I understand that the Expert doesn't require that much weight (lighter motor options I guess) in the back and that the servos have moved back into the fuse nearer the CG.

Hopefully someone with an F5J Expert will chime in.

Rick
Old Dec 06, 2015, 07:54 AM
Rick Roberts
Joined Aug 2012
323 Posts
I've heard that it's a tight fit in the supra expert electric fuse. Can someone please snap a picture so I know what I'm getting into with this kit.

Thanks in advance.

Rick
Old Dec 19, 2015, 01:38 PM
Find More Posts by JJSHou
Joined May 2006
51 Posts
Question to those with a Supra Pro Electric. My receiver (Jeti) is located in the center panel of the wing. The telemetry information shows weak signal strength (both antennas are inside of the center panel).

Out of curiosity, are others experiencing the same?
Do you keep your antennas inside or outside of the wing? On another aircraft, my antennas are external and my reception is much stronger.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jeff
JJSHou is offline Find More Posts by JJSHou
Old Dec 19, 2015, 01:48 PM
Find More Posts by Jebera
United States, NH, Nashua
Joined Oct 2006
662 Posts
If you have a carbon wing, then it is blocking the signal a no go for sure!

You need your antennas hanging outside, at least the tips (32mm)

Rgds!

André
Jebera is offline Find More Posts by Jebera
Old Dec 19, 2015, 04:13 PM
Rick Roberts
Joined Aug 2012
323 Posts
Hi Jeff!

I've heard the same thing. With the carbon wing, if the receiver is in the wing the antennas need to be outside.

Rick
Old Dec 19, 2015, 04:21 PM
Rick Roberts
Joined Aug 2012
323 Posts
A supra expert f5j arrived on my doorstep yesterday. Winter project is beginning.

The pod has a removable nose with a tray on the fixed section of the pod. Does anyone have a good picture of how they installed servos, ESC, rx and battery?

Thanks in advance,

Rick
Old Dec 19, 2015, 06:16 PM
Find More Posts by JJSHou
Joined May 2006
51 Posts
Thanks for the input Andre and Rick. I believe my wing is all Fiberglass. Having said that, I see from the Kennedy Composites site that the wing is made up of different layers of material. I think I'll experiment and try to find a way to get my antennas outside.

Back in the 72Mhz days, antennas were tuned the receiver (specific length of the antenna). If needed, I wonder if I can solder an extension to one of the 2 Jeti antennas (2.4 Ghz system) to lengthen it for the external routing.

This is an awesome flying plane. It's depressing having to bring the plane down early when I'm in a nice thermal.

Regards,
Jeff
JJSHou is offline Find More Posts by JJSHou