HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2014, 08:26 AM
Free as a bird now.
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,664 Posts
Discussion
Hobbyking Zephyr!

Hobbyking is releasing a new electric powered plane that is absolutely, with no doubt of any kind, based on Ralph Roberts Zepher. The fuselage almost looks like it was taken directly from Dutchy's mold.

HobbyKing Daily - Joe Nall Exclusive Durafly EFX Racer (1 min 0 sec)
Brian Courtice is online now Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2014, 12:02 PM
Livin ...The Endless Summer
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
7,145 Posts
Mine is faster .... and WAY more Deluxe ....!!!

Rubio
67econoline is online now Find More Posts by 67econoline
Old Jun 07, 2014, 12:48 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2003
3,025 Posts
.....its not a copy
......its a "homage"

Andy
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
Old Jun 07, 2014, 01:36 PM
Just Toss It !!!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2004
6,049 Posts
Well at least Ralph is not being prosecuted by them.

A couple of American chicks start a company making cute tote bags.
They hit it big and move their manufacturing to a factory in China.
After a while they get a cease and desist order from the Chinese government.
Turns out a local outfit starts copying their designs and manufacturing them out of the SAME FACTORY and registers them in China.
They were told they were infringing on Chinese intellectual property!

The company is called BAGGU.

They had to change the A in their logo to a triangle so they can continue manufacturing their wares in a country where nobody seems to know anything about morality.
MATIN is online now Find More Posts by MATIN
Last edited by MATIN; Jun 07, 2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2014, 02:06 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,984 Posts
Matt from HK is a sloper - here's a vid he posted a while back of a PSS converted Durafly DH-88:

Durafly DH-88 PSS - Power Slope Scale - First Flight (6 min 46 sec)

I think we may know who "created" the EFX Racer's shape...
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old Jun 07, 2014, 11:23 PM
Nor. Cal.
Joined Jan 2004
6,141 Posts
me thinks there be a "traitor" amongst us.... aarrrrrr.
dutchydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by dutchydawg1
Old Jun 08, 2014, 11:28 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
3,121 Posts
All the ones I molded are accounted for. Ian
bluffman is offline Find More Posts by bluffman
Old Jun 10, 2014, 03:46 AM
The ProCreator
United States, CA, Claremont
Joined Jan 2004
1,043 Posts
Cease and desist all copyright infringement letter sent......

Artsloper is offline Find More Posts by Artsloper
Old Jun 10, 2014, 05:03 AM
Just Toss It !!!
Joined May 2004
6,049 Posts
Yaye!!!!!
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:42 AM
Free as a bird now.
Joined May 2002
6,664 Posts
Well done Ralph. It is not easy to protect a copyright on a model airplane, and given Hobby Kings track record, I doubt very much that they will cease or desist. Regardless, I am happy to see you standing your ground.

In my opinion, Disney also ripped off the Zephyr for the Ripslinger character in the animated Planes movie. I don't know if it would be prudent to pursue any action against a company that can afford to spend millions to protect it's intellectual property, regardless of how that property was obtained.
Meet Ripslinger - Disney's Planes (1 min 17 sec)

This case reminds me of the controversy surrounding the Gee Bee R3. The R3 is a "fantasy scale" airplane, that, much like Ralphs Zephyr, was posted on RC groups before any actual model was ever built. The design immediately struck a chord with modelers, and model manufacturers, and now there are dozens of kitted versions of the R3 being produced. The original designer made it very clear that his design was being copied without permission, to little avail. Some producers gave the design a few modifications and a different name. Others have copied the original R3 design right down to the graphics scheme.

I would not be surprised if Ralphs design continues to be copied in the future. It is one of those rare designs that immediately creates an "I want one!" reaction when modelers encounter it. I think that at the very least, Ralph should be proud that he has created a fantasy scale classic that proves that imitation is the purest form of flattery.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 01:34 PM
Aerobatics!
United States, CA, Big Bear Lake
Joined Nov 2007
2,494 Posts
pretty sad that he just has to bend over and take it tho'

not like you can go and win a lawsuit vs. disney or hobbyking
JGAF is offline Find More Posts by JGAF
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2014, 02:51 PM
The ProCreator
United States, CA, Claremont
Joined Jan 2004
1,043 Posts
Over the last 25 years I focused on one thing with this hobby and that is to have fun. I have applied my professional skills as a designer, artist, and 3D modeler in many different ways. Certainly people have approached me for aviation related artwork or logos and most of the time I would knock something out for free. If I knew the person on more personal terms, I would even deny payment. Sometimes I would walk away with a kit or a pricey case of beer but the bottom line was that I was doing something to help someone out under the umbrella of a cool hobby.

I was a member for just about a year when In 2000 I volunteered to do my very first t-shirt design for the ISR's Slope Fest. It was later that year at soar Utah that I felt the first sting of plagiarism. Without my permission someone took the artwork from my PSS fest shirt design for the 2000 Soar Utah shirt. Since then, I have seen my artwork be used without permission over and over.

It has been a little different with the Zephyr. A couple of guys early on approached me if they could model a plane after a design I posted. I happily said sure, I'd love to see it fly. About a year later is when Paul (Dutchydog) really took the time to hunt me down to ask permission to use the design. Again, I gladly said yes. For me it was an honor to design something I would like to see fly and have gents willing to do the knuckle work to get my design into the air. However I believe that stops with the sloping community.

As far as Ripslinger goes, although the designs are similar, I can see where Disney's influences came from and I don't see it as a direct rip-off of my design. At least it was not enough to start a conversation with Disney. However this move by Hobbyking is different. It does appear to me as a direct rip-off of my design. It just fairs too close and that is why I politely asked them to cease and desist from using my design and infringing on my copyright.

Do I have the resources to pursue all legal avenues here? Not really. If anything it would be honorable if Hobbyking steps up and makes an offer to use the design. After all the plane looks friggen sweet and they have money tied up in it. I just could not keep silent. They should know that I along with this community made the Zephyr what it is and stealing the design should not be taken lightly.
Artsloper is offline Find More Posts by Artsloper
Old Jun 10, 2014, 03:44 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsloper View Post
They should know that I along with this community made the Zephyr what it is and stealing the design should not be taken lightly.
Yep! Call it what it is, Ralph!!

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jun 10, 2014, 03:57 PM
Just Toss It !!!
Joined May 2004
6,049 Posts
Maybe this is an opportunity for this community, most of which are Hobby King customers, to start a letter writing/emailing/messaging campain to make their feelings known.
We all enjoy the low prices HK offers, but not if it's at the expense of the rightful owner of the intellectual property.
It is entirely possible that HK knows this and doesn't care.....But that should't stop us from doing our part.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 04:05 PM
Free as a bird now.
Joined May 2002
6,664 Posts
I know of a couple of instances where Hobbyking has agreed to pay royalties to the original designers of products that they sell or have sold.

Hopefully, they will do the honorable thing and agree to a similar arrangement in this case. Perhaps some "gentle prodding" from the slope community may help.