HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2014, 07:52 PM
United States, PA, Pottstown
Joined Dec 2009
202 Posts
Thanks Jim. I've been lurking on your Pup build and it looks great.

Tom
slow_flier is offline Find More Posts by slow_flier
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2014, 08:28 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,749 Posts
However, just remember that the rudder isn't supposed to pivot on the hinge wire, it get's glued firmly to it. Otherwise all it will do is weather-cock in the slipstream - the internal linkage on the hinge wire being what moves the rudder.
Strictly speaking the tube isn't essential, it's just there so you can glue that into the rudder and then glue on the rudder after the linkage and hinge wire are installed in the fuselage. Preferably not with CA which is far too likely to run down the hinge wire and lock it solid into the fuselage mounted bearing tubes.
The reason I show the tube is it just seems safer to have that firmly glued into the rudder than the wire. Less risk of it pulling through the balsa. Well, that was the theory at any rate.. It also avoids last minute alignment problems because you can ensure accurate alignment of that early on, then once you have the hinge wire accurately aligned the rudder can't but go on accurately. Scuff up the hinge wire, apply epoxy inside the tube and just slip it onto the wire. The wire will push the excess epoxy up into the rudder, rather than having the rudder push it down into the bearing tube. It all made perfect sense to me as I drew it, now I'm beginning to wonder.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Aug 17, 2014, 09:18 PM
Joined Dec 2009
202 Posts
Pete

I like your design. I just increased the length to get a better alignment. I was hoping to epoxy it all together just before I cover. The biggest problem I see will be attaching the rudder horn since I will have to do before I cover the fuselage,but after I cover attach the elevator. Well, maybe I can cover the top of the fuselage before I install the rudder.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 04:55 PM
Joined Dec 2009
202 Posts
No, I haven't died

It's been raining all day so I got out of doing the yard work for another couple of days. Anyway, I to the afternoon off and started bending the landing gear wires.

This is the part of a build I dislike the most. Until I started building park fliers a couple of years ago, metal work was not something I ever did. I must admit, the wire bending seems to be getting a bit easier. This bird's landing gear has been giving me a lot of practice.

The most challenging part of the wire bending has been the front wire of the main gear. This wire is bent in all three dimensions. This took a bit of figuring but. surprisingly, once I figured out how to do it, only took 45 minutes, or so, to do.

The next step will be to wire everything up on a base and get it soldered. Once that is done I need to make the brass end plate/gear retainers and then solder them to outside of the front gear.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:08 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,749 Posts
It's surprising how many people dread wire bending. Yours seems to have turned out well enough though.

On the subject of the rudder hinge/horn, it should be easy enough to fit it to the fuselage before you cover. The only area that needs covering first is the bottom of RH2.
Glue in the bearing tubes, checking for alignment before the glue sets. Once firm you can position the horn and slip the hinge wire through it. Tighten the grub-screw in the collet and then solder the lower washer in place. The top one can't go on until the tailplane is in place.
Strictly speaking, you could cover first because the tailplane area will be left open anyway. However, that means using that opening for access to the grub-screw which might be a little fraught.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:30 AM
Joined Dec 2009
202 Posts
Spent the morning cleaning, fluxing and tinning all of the areas on the wires that will be connected. I prefer to struggle with adhesion issues with the individual wires. It's easier to check for, and deal with, adhesion problems at this stage.

It took a couple of hours to work out all of the problems. Surprisingly, the two pieces of 1/8" wire were totally different in how easy the were to tin. One of the ends of the front wire took three attempts to get it take solder uniformly. I had to use a file to get the metal clean enough to solder.

Now to make the base to attach the main gear wires to so I can bind all of the pieces together with copper wire and solder. Once I have the main gear assembled I can add the lower pylon wires.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:35 AM
Joined Dec 2009
202 Posts
Oops! Looking at the picture I just posted. I see that forgot I to tin the center section of the main wire where the lower pylon will connect.

I'll try a get them done tonight.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 02:55 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,580 Posts
I would assume you are using a good soldering flux? The proper flux makes all the difference inn the world in how easy it is to tin and solder the parts.

Personally, I like Kester Soldering paste flux. But, I couldn't tell you which one to buy these days, as I have a very old can that is just about gone, so, I am going to have to buy a new one....

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:38 PM
Joined Dec 2009
202 Posts
These are being done with Sta-brite.

The ptoblem seems to be the hard,dark coating on the wire. Normally i would use 220 grit emery and all would go well. These wires are being more difficult. But that's why I'm tinning themnow.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:54 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,580 Posts
Sta-Brite is good stuff, but you do have to get the temp up.

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:13 PM
Joined Dec 2009
202 Posts
So I've discovered. I've started using a little butane torch and that has been working well. It took some getting used to but I like the fact that by angling the flame I can preheat the workpiece.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:21 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,580 Posts
Yup...though if you are soldering larger stuff, a Mapp gas torch, works better than one of the small torches.

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:32 PM
Joined Dec 2009
202 Posts
A little more progress....

I've started assembling the main landing gear. The first step was to mount the gear firmly to an "assembly" board. In my case, this is three layers of scrap 1/4" ply laminated together to give a 8 x 15 x 3/4" panel. The main wires are held at 4-1/16" apart using eight #6 screws and washers.

With the base spacing set, the ends were brought together with the central spacer and wrapped with copper wire and soldered then cleaned with hot soapy water. The photos illustrate the process I used.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 08:39 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,580 Posts
Looking good!!

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2014, 10:54 AM
Joined Dec 2009
202 Posts
More wrapping and soldering...

Thanks, Steve.

I've got all of the main gear wire soldered together, The next step is to make and attach the brass axle guides that go on the outside of the main wires.