SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2014, 06:15 PM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
Discussion
What is the status of rc on the dc mall ?

The last I heard radio control sail boating on the reflecting pools in the DC Mall was prohibited by the Capitol Police. What is the current situation? 1/24/2014
George Steele is offline Find More Posts by George Steele
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2014, 09:10 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,405 Posts
George, I think the answer is in this thread....
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...60&postcount=1

Post 1 by George Steele
sailing models in DC
9/16/2012. The reflecting pool between the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial has been renovated and now appears ready for sailing model sailboats. The depth of water at the edges is about 10 inches.
The depth at the edges of the Constitution Garden pool is about 16 inches..
Who has been sailing in these pools and what have you learned from such activities? Thanks.

Post 108 by George Steele
model dhows sailing on the dc reflecting pools
4/15/2013. Since Congress and the Capitol Police have banned radio controlled model sailboats from the reflecting pools on The National Mall we now can consider all sorts of free sailing models.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Jun 02, 2014, 09:07 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,148 Posts
Just read in my club's newsletter that there is a firm plan to re-develop a portion of the pond in Constitution Gardens for model yachting- did not specify R/C but I would assume that is a strong possibility.

This should be good news.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jun 09, 2014, 10:17 AM
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Feb 2009
89 Posts
Here is the latest. Rumor has it open to RC sailing with possible rental boats.

http://www.archdaily.com/233587/nati...-architecture/
huzway is online now Find More Posts by huzway
Old Jun 09, 2014, 11:35 AM
Johnstown, PA
Joined Feb 2004
86 Posts
No joy so far...
Capitol Police just referred me to the Architect of the Capitol, who checked, I believe, with Capitol Grounds.

I asked them if model sailboats were allowed on the mall on the reflecting pool or Constitution Gardens and they tell me it's not permitted at this time. I don't know if it would make any difference if a number of us expressed interest (or even if the infprmation is accurate and enforced since the Capitol Police didn't know the answer), but that's what I got from the Architect of the Capitol folks as of today.

If anybody wants to also check in with them, they're at 202-228-1793 or they have a contact form at https://www.aoc.gov/contact-form
Al Stein is offline Find More Posts by Al Stein
Old Jun 09, 2014, 02:36 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Stein View Post
No joy so far...
Capitol Police just referred me to the Architect of the Capitol, who checked, I believe, with Capitol Grounds.

I asked them if model sailboats were allowed on the mall on the reflecting pool or Constitution Gardens and they tell me it's not permitted at this time.
Right, but apparently, from what I have heard, the pond and environs are about to be re-modeled partially to accomodate model boating.

I understand that the SFMYC facility was recently looked at as a possible "model" for what might be desireable for more boat infrastructure.

Stay tuned.
Old Jun 09, 2014, 10:11 PM
micro scale builder
United States, DC, Washington
Joined May 2008
322 Posts
also interested in downtown sailing.

I sail a micro magic, for what it's worth.

is the mcmillian reservoir still fenced off? any way for a club to have access?
tmtbiker is online now Find More Posts by tmtbiker
Old Jun 09, 2014, 10:37 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,148 Posts
Like your "avatar", tmt...