Closed Thread
Old Jul 28, 2007, 06:23 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,911 Posts
Discussion
When Deans go bad

Went to plug in my pack and whammo smoke system on. Stunk up the basement. It scared me to death as it happened so fast but it just caught and the spring shorted to the other pole & thats when the smoke came. I was surpised how fast a bettery gets very hot. I cooked an ESC and a 12 cell Elite 1500 pack due to this. The pack was 15 flight old. Castle replaced the ESC for $25 bucks. The battery is now worthless. I took out the cell that read 0 volts but the pack still only takes 7-800 back in. Trash can here they come. I am so bummed. I counted up how many Deans connectors I have. 42 in service. Never had a problem, until now. Why dont they put this spring on the top???
JONBOYLEMON is online now Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2007, 06:53 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,753 Posts
You are not alone but I luckily caught my two instances. One was a knockoff, the other was a Deans.
You should be able to use a small needle nose plyers and reshape the spring clip to the original location. My knockoff was removable, at least it pulled out, so I trashed it.

Rick
www.CommonSenseRC.com
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Jul 28, 2007, 11:17 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,611 Posts
That's one of the many reasons why I hate Deans connectors.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Jul 28, 2007, 11:21 PM
Look Up
United States, TN, Jamestown
Joined Nov 2003
1,179 Posts
A little care when connecting a battery will prevent this. They work for me.
CiprianGugu is online now Find More Posts by CiprianGugu
Old Jul 28, 2007, 11:25 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiprianGugu
A little care when connecting a battery will prevent this. They work for me.
Yeah, right. Blame it on the user.

This should never happen with a properly designed connector.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 11:46 PM
Joined May 2002
16,911 Posts
I had never known of the need for care when plugging these in. Had I even heard of this I would have been more careful. Sounds like it has happened to others. Would have to agree that is a big design flaw and if Deans was aware of it and does not fix it that would seem LAZY. Would just require putting the top connector in upside down.
And yes they have worked for me for 6 years now.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 03:25 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,753 Posts
It can't be switched as the spring clip needs to go against the metal lug. If they reverse it the connector would only work with the new style ones, the old ones with the old ones.

Rick
www.CommonSenseRC.com
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Jul 29, 2007, 04:23 AM
Chandler, AZ
Joined Mar 2006
864 Posts
Thanks for one more reason to back up why I no longer use Deans.
drfish is offline Find More Posts by drfish
Old Jul 29, 2007, 05:31 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,528 Posts
I gave up on Dean’s a couple of years ago – I now use only bullet connectors.
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jul 29, 2007, 06:31 AM
TOH
Suomi, Etelä-Suomi, Helsinki
Joined Jul 2007
22 Posts
Hello.

I can seen some mechanical damages (crash landing maybe?) in the picture, and some soldering defectcs, the connector palstics part was melt, look the burts near the horisontal spirig.

And second qestion, is this connector original Deans or NOT, several suppliers delivers non original connectors, and thes heat resist is low, this means easily soldering damages.

My opinion is, the original deans is exxelent connector and the Pirat / Copy connetors is source of problems.

My original Deans lasting 1000 connection and still going on.

TOH
TOH is offline Find More Posts by TOH
Old Jul 29, 2007, 07:47 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,611 Posts
This isn't the first time this has been reported even with genuine original Deans connectors.

The problem is the connector is an old poor design that hasn't been updated in years. It requires careful installation and even then it can still lead to problems like the one that started in this thread.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 07:58 AM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
Deans

I used one. First time I pulled it apart about ripped the guts out my plane. I went to bullets a couple years ago come apart so much easier a little twist as you pull and its apart.
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
Old Jul 29, 2007, 10:19 AM
Dickinson, Tx.
Joined Sep 2004
5,345 Posts
I have been using Deans for 4 years up to 5S with no problems ever, I agree that bullets are a better choice at high current, but things can happen with those types also.

I use to have problems pulling the Deans apart when I first started using them, I did some research on here and found out about powder graphite.

Deans are a tool, it is the users responsibility to inspect, don't you look at the prop before flying, look the plane over checking the hinges-servo's, etc, then why not the same for the battery connectors???

Challenger413
Challenger 413 is online now Find More Posts by Challenger 413
Old Jul 29, 2007, 04:47 PM
Central Louisiana
Joined May 2006
81 Posts
The deans that I have that are hard to unplug are the ones that I overheated when soldering. Since I have gotten better at soldering them I haven't had any that were hard to unplug.
angrycookieman is offline Find More Posts by angrycookieman
Old Jul 29, 2007, 06:54 PM
Joined May 2002
16,911 Posts
I wish I could close this thread. The connector was not like that when I put the connectors together!!!! The connector was soldered with a 60 watt iron. It takes me a whopping 1/2 second to solder these up. The scuffs are there on all my connectors. It help get them apart to rough them up a bit. That along with some graphite.
The heat damage you see is probably from the short. I put male & female deans together when soldering, that way the alignment is perfect each time. These are original Deans. I have never bought knockoffs.

I think it just caught when I put together and it pushed the spring up. Now after the short it is not sprung like it used to be.
Enough said.
Its a poor design, and I will keep using them as I have so many of them & I dont really want to switch. Just a heads up. . Be mindful this could happen even to you pro's who say I did something wrong. You will get your turn on something else. I was just trying to be helpful.
Closed Thread