HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:24 PM
www.M-A-E.com
Lilburn, GA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
1,165 Posts
Question
Turnigy Accucel 6 Over-charging

My Accucel 6 is charging lipos to 4.25 to 4.27 volts per cell. The charger is reading 4.20 volts per cell, but other meters agree on the higher readings. Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the cut-off voltage on this charger?

Thanks,
Randy
rcflyer11 is online now Find More Posts by rcflyer11
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:48 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,950 Posts
Did you try to calibrate it?

If unsuccessful, an alternative would be to charge lipolys on LiIo setting. Presuming it's overcharging LiIo as well, this would terminate in the ~4.15V region, which is my preferred termination voltage and where I have my chargers set.

Also, are you sure that your other meters are more accurate than your charger?
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:27 PM
www.M-A-E.com
Lilburn, GA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
1,165 Posts
Thanks mrforsyth. I'll try the calibration. I'm not sure that the other meters are more accurate than my AC6, but they are all in agreement at the higher voltage readings. -- Randy
Old Aug 20, 2014, 06:23 AM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,516 Posts
As Mark has said, you need to calibrate the charger, BUT only if your other meters are accurate. If not you could be wasting your time.

If you have several meters that agree with each other that helps.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Aug 20, 2014, 06:58 AM
Joined Jul 2014
252 Posts
rcflyer.. 1st you need to make sure your Other meters are Dead On.. most meters are not certified.. so you either get a known voltage source.. like 4 D cell battery's in series and test that voltage should be ..4.8volts. that's a starting point.. and that 5-7 hundredths of a volt are not that big of a deal..
ElectricMann is online now Find More Posts by ElectricMann
Old Aug 20, 2014, 09:45 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricMann View Post
rcflyer.. 1st you need to make sure your Other meters are Dead On.. most meters are not certified.. so you either get a known voltage source.. like 4 D cell battery's in series and test that voltage should be ..4.8volts. that's a starting point.. and that 5-7 hundredths of a volt are not that big of a deal..
4 new alkaline D cell batteries in series would actually measure around 6.3V +/-
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:48 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,937 Posts
I have simply taken the 2 Acucell 6 chargers I have into voltage calibration and set the voltage to it's maximum,this fools the charger where my lipo's come off a charge @ 4.18v if memory serves me correct as I don't use it very often.My better chargers are set to 4.15v cutoff.
The Tug is online now Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Yesterday, 01:11 AM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
Here is a good video on calibrating.
Calibrating the Turnigy Accucell-6 Battery Charger (4 min 23 sec)
dhamultun is offline Find More Posts by dhamultun
Old Yesterday, 02:58 AM
United Kingdom, England, Chippenham
Joined Apr 2014
28 Posts
The newer versions of the Accucell 6 don't seem to have this calibration option. Bought mine last year and can't do it :-(
Bedrock_66 is offline Find More Posts by Bedrock_66
Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,516 Posts
That's correct. The older versions could be calibrated, but when they added another feature to the later models ( can't remember what it was ) the calibration option was dropped.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM
www.M-A-E.com
Lilburn, GA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
1,165 Posts
Thanks for the calibration video, but unfortunately, mine must be one of the later ones that doesn't have the calibration capability. Does that leave me with any other viable options? I have assured myself that the voltage my charger is reading is not accurate. Besides every cell showing "4.20" volts upon completion of the balance-charge function, they actually vary by about "0.08" volts on other meters. -- Thanks, Randy
Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer11 View Post
Does that leave me with any other viable options?
1) Charge on LiIo setting as mentioned in post #2 above.
2) Replace charger with a better quality unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer11 View Post
Besides every cell showing "4.20" volts upon completion of the balance-charge function, they actually vary by about "0.08" volts on other meters.
Curiously, are these 'other meters' actual multimeters of reasonable quality or are they inexpensive lipo checkers?
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM
www.M-A-E.com
Lilburn, GA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
1,165 Posts
Yes... I'll still try the Lilo setting... thanks again. Also, thanks for the link to the higher-quality chargers. I've been looking pretty hard at the Hitec H4 4-port unit and also the Hyperion EOS 720i Super Duo3.

The "other meters" are a friend's high-end Hyperion charger, my own high-end Schultze charger, and a couple of Hyperion cell-checkers. These all seem to pretty much agree that the AC6 is overcharging my batteries. -- Thanks, Randy