Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by ziomatrixacs, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 02, 2014, 03:09 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,368 Posts
Discussion
How to deal with Apartment Manager/Lease Violations?

Alright, first, I know RCgroups is not the best place to try to get legal information but I rather figure out what you guys would do. Hopefully the more experienced folks will chime in.

I have lived in 3 apartments across the country so far. I know some places have little discrete fine print caveats in the lease and I moved into such a place. Long story short, the staff has entered my apartment atleast 3 times without notification or permission. Recently, they sent out an email stating that all window blinds in the complex must be white and that they will be doing an inspection. It does not say anything about an interior inspection or them entering the apartment but the Email explicitly states a clean exterior is their goal. Now, I live in the North, it has been cold this winter. I use mylar thermal blankets on the interior (and cannot be seen from the outside) to help keep the heat in especially after I started getting $200 electric bills. That is $200 for one person, no big electronics, 550 sqft apartment and I also measured a 30 degree heat difference by the leaky doors! So the kind staff entered my apartment, wrote me up, and are apparently going to try to charge me for damages. I could take the plastic down, then put it back up, but there are serious airleaks they refuse to fix, the email states the their goal is a clean exterior, and they entered my place without permission.

So, I am really unsure of what to do. I am pretty interested in what you folks have to say. I only have 4-5 months left in the lease (which they offered to allow me to extend at in increase from $760/mo to nearly $998/mo).
ziomatrixacs is offline Find More Posts by ziomatrixacs
Old Mar 03, 2014, 12:57 PM
S.F. Bay Area, California, USA
Joined May 2005
638 Posts
Landlord / Tenant relationships are governed by rules (laws) passed by various governing bodies, down to the city level. Without knowing where you live, and the local laws, it is hard to give specific advice.

I can tell you one thing though. If I had a landlord that told me my rent was going to be raised approximately 30%, I would start searching for a new place to call home.
Ken Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Ken Barnes
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:42 AM
cq cq de kr4is
USA, VA, virginia beach
Joined Jan 2011
277 Posts
look if u "fix" the holes u made ,with joint compound , there is no damage. your exterior is ok,np,,,leases go up..deal with it ....but if u dont renew your lease and they keep your deposit becuz of "damages" and you patched the holes ,,thats problematic,,, for ive not seen where leaser dosnt repaint between leasees...
i dont rent nor lease properties, ,, my partner rents properties,,and i know many whom do also..heard it all....even went to collect monies from tenants mny yrs ago with 1911
straped to my side standing back-up...lol ...it took bout 3 months to kick those people out by the laws of virginia as i remember and sherriff let us put there stuff on the street for all to have...my 2 cents ,,,gl
flexsphincter is offline Find More Posts by flexsphincter
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:15 AM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
298 Posts
Look up your local tenant/landlord association in the directory-they should be able to give you advice. Otherwise call the Legal Aid Society. Lacking those, call your city housing department.
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Mar 21, 2014, 09:08 PM
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
Here in mississippi if there more than 2 months behind you can give them a 3day eviction and if they are 3months behind or 2months with damage you get a 24 hour eviction ....rented my old house out and hed to literly have the police remove them .....had tons of damage so what would not sell I burned thay also trashed the house could not see floor in most of house
Heliman86 is offline Find More Posts by Heliman86