HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2013, 09:47 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,425 Posts
Agreed- I removed a 53cc twin from the Midwing ,and installed a 62cc...although the plane is heavier, it's much more comfortable to fly, with the extra horses...but it is an aerobatic airplane...If I wanted to putt putt about the sky, the 53 cc was plenty adequate.

Too many times we see guys saying it is underpowered, if it takes more than 15 feet to become airborne.
Personal flying style is a valid consideration,concerning weight and engine size.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:35 AM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
I don't think there's any question regarding whether the plane will fly with a G38 or not. There might be other considerations to be made though? Depending on the OP's flying style and intended purpose for this plane, that may make a big difference on whether or not he enjoys it?

Regarding the plane's all up weight, at SOME point, you need to step back and assess it's abilities to carry that weight safely, and maybe start drawing some lines regarding maneuvers you might want to try with it? Anyone that's built a Nosen kit (or flown full scale?), can appreciate this. I think, with the weights the OP is speaking of, that might be a consideration I'd be looking at here.....
Most people don't buy a Champ to go out and do 3D flight with, so i doubt the flying style will be much more than basic aerobatics and putt-putt flying. IMO champ's and J3's are the most fun just putt-putting around at low altitude doing Touch-N-Go's all afternoon. I would assume this is what the OP probably has in mind for his Champ.

16oz on a plane with a 108" wingspan and probably a 14" chord is nothing. That is only 1.5oz per square foot of additional wing loading.. Again, hardly anything in the grand scheme of things.

This airplane could probably carry 40-50lbs safely in flight, granted it would be very scale like flight, but its possibly. IN reality, its probably closer to 20-25lbs. An extra pound isn't going to kill the model, unless it weights 30-35+lbs, then would be the time to step back and reaccess its construction and possibly make some modifications to lighten it up.

I am still amazed that someone built this model THAT nose heavy. There has to be some lead or a battery hidden somewhere.
If not and it was my model, i'd put a hatch on the bottom of the plane in the tail and move the battery all the way back there.
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:26 AM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
Most people don't buy a Champ to go out and do 3D flight with, so i doubt the flying style will be much more than basic aerobatics and putt-putt flying. IMO champ's and J3's are the most fun just putt-putting around at low altitude doing Touch-N-Go's all afternoon. I would assume this is what the OP probably has in mind for his Champ.

16oz on a plane with a 108" wingspan and probably a 14" chord is nothing. That is only 1.5oz per square foot of additional wing loading.. Again, hardly anything in the grand scheme of things.

This airplane could probably carry 40-50lbs safely in flight, granted it would be very scale like flight, but its possibly. IN reality, its probably closer to 20-25lbs. An extra pound isn't going to kill the model, unless it weights 30-35+lbs, then would be the time to step back and reaccess its construction and possibly make some modifications to lighten it up.

I am still amazed that someone built this model THAT nose heavy. There has to be some lead or a battery hidden somewhere.
If not and it was my model, i'd put a hatch on the bottom of the plane in the tail and move the battery all the way back there.
Re: the bold? With all due respect, that would be something I would have to see to believe - unless the struts and spars have been built WAY sturdier than the plans called for, using materials that did not come with the kit?
ahicks is online now Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:39 AM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Re: the bold? With all due respect, that would be something I would have to see to believe - unless the struts and spars have been built WAY sturdier than the plans called for, using materials that did not come with the kit?
Let me add to that:

It could carry 40-50lbs Safely if flown in a realistic manner (low banked, smooth coordinates turns), no aerobatics, etc.

Essentially it'd have to be flown like the real airplane or even less exciting.

Most of all our models are over-engineered because of the loads we put them through.

I have a 123" flying wing that weights 36 pounds and the wing spars are BALSA only. The wing tubes only extend an average of 14" into each wing panel which spans 48" each. Matter of fact, Lately i have been getting rid of allot of the liteply, spruce and basswood materials in my models and replacing it with balsa. When engineered and constructed correctly, you'd be surprised how much even a contest grade balsa stick can hold (load wise) and how much lighter it can be compared to the same model constructed in a more conventional, over-built airplane.
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast