HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2001, 07:55 PM
tustin,ca US
Joined Jan 2001
126 Posts
what do you think of the Fredy E?

Does anyone know anything about this plane from NSP?

Fredy E

If so, how would it compare to the smart from Hobby Lobby?

I am looking for a good 7-10 cell hotliner with similar quality to the smart. Would sacrifice a little speed for better ability to thermal, but don't want to be much slower. Any suggestions?

Also, has anyone heard of the "Scud" from Dymond? How does this compare?

Thanks for your thoughts
campbell is offline Find More Posts by campbell
Last edited by campbell; Nov 26, 2001 at 07:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2001, 08:30 AM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,192 Posts
Hi Dave

I gave the Freddy a good looking over at the NEAT fair. Excellent quality kit being all mounded. I saw Sal fly it too and it is VERY "Zoomy". Not sure about its thermal characteristics but if you use a light pack and can balance it, it should do the task. Its got a slip on nose cone so replacing the batteries doesn't mean taking the wing off too.....

Since you're a Go-Fast kinda guy, I'd steer you toward a molded glass slipper as opposed to a foam/sheeted wing. The weight difference and tureness of airfoil do make a difference and i'd think you have the thumbs to avoid landing rash

Why not a Smart ?!?

Alan W
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
Old Nov 27, 2001, 09:16 AM
tustin,ca US
Joined Jan 2001
126 Posts
what is a "molded glass slipper"? Is this a plane? As far as the smart goes, I do like the plane, I was just looking of some other options that would be equal. I thought the Fredy was an all moulded wing?
campbell is offline Find More Posts by campbell
Old Mar 07, 2002, 01:20 AM
pasadena ca.
Joined Dec 2001
32 Posts
scud

I have one I picked up from helmut when the ama show came to pasadena.

He says I am gonna love it I just posted a thread to get some info on her.

The quality is pretty amazing one peice wing gel coated with metal flakes looks like foam sandwiched the fuse is also gelcoated fiberglass with carbon weave I think I wish I remembered what the airfoil is and the hardware is minimal that is included servo extenchons are already in place and control surfaces are pre hinged as for the manual no manual just a one sheet draft of the plane showing were the equipment goes.

I just had structial failure on my other plane and it was a total loss I was trying to decide which plane to start on my filip or the scud I decided to begin on the filip since the scud seems another notch higher on performance and speed .

Sorry for not giving you tech data on wingspan or weight but I dont have the data I am sure if you call helmut he can give you a quick fyi.

ducatista
ducatista is offline Find More Posts by ducatista
Old Mar 07, 2002, 01:54 AM
San jose, CA
Joined Jun 2000
426 Posts
what is a "molded glass slipper"?

This a plane whos flying surfaces are constructed with seperate tops and bottoms. These individual pieces are made of glass or carbon cloth on either side of a balsa or rohacell layer in the middle. This method of construction makes for a much more accurately made wing. This is COMPLETELY different from any other type of construction-besides the spar, and a few other bits and pieces around the ailerons and flaps, there is nothing else in the wing, no foam, no ribs, not anything! Hence another term for this type of construction: hollow-molded. Most of the high performance F3J/F3B planes (Stratos, NYX, Sharon) out there are hollow-molded. If this sounds kinda strange, compared to everything else, it is! But they look VERY nice, and I understand they fly like nothing else out there.

Rick
tempest411 is offline Find More Posts by tempest411
Old Mar 07, 2002, 07:14 AM
sal
NSP (Vermont)
Joined Aug 2000
2,695 Posts
The Fredy is fully molded which some people term a "glass Slipper" This term is usually used for Molded Scale sailplanes.
The Fredy uses an RG 14 airfoil and is very fast! At the NEAT show I used a Kontronik Drive 501 with 7 1700 CP cells and 13 x 7 prop. I was a little underproped and have gone to the 14 x 9 prop which gives me excellent vertical.

I prefer the T-tail version for electric and the V-tail for slope. In my opinion considering the excellent workmanship in the Fredy and its performance, it is underpriced compared to most the the molded ships out there.

My next motor move will be to the Kontronik Car Drive (Don't ask!). This is a 501 sized motor with a hotter wind.
sal is offline Find More Posts by sal
Old Mar 07, 2002, 08:11 AM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sal
My next motor move will be to the Kontronik Car Drive (Don't ask!). This is a 501 sized motor with a hotter wind.
"Keptin.....The Dylithium Crystals will crack if i push them any harder....We're already at Warp 9.9 !!!"
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W