HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2013, 06:08 PM
Isaiah 40:31
United Kingdom, England, Hamble-le-Rice
Joined Sep 2012
677 Posts
Updates

Work in progress 'upgrades' to the model. I've decided to re-cycle the canopy from the prototype. With the clear canopy, It is easier to get the canopy shape correct to suit the depron. When I created the vac forming tool It was best estimate.

The plastic canopy on here is a bit of a work-in-progress with silver marker pen on it to help me highlight the final shape. It will look much better a little further down the line.....
Clickety is offline Find More Posts by Clickety
Last edited by Clickety; Oct 30, 2013 at 07:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:53 AM
Joined Sep 2012
677 Posts
This morning I applied some 0.6oz Super light fibreglass cloth to the underside of the nose and the belly around the intakes with water based Polyurethane varnish (matt). It was an experiment to test how much weight it added vs its usefulness as a depron protector.

Weight current 560g. I was a little shocked that it added 27g. I guess I was a bit heavy handed handed with the resin

it is however rock hard! and it has visually disappeared! I think this will be quite a useful thing to do on the EDF version, which needs to fly in with a bit of speed.

In hindsight, I would be a little more reserved with the resin.... next time!
Old Oct 31, 2013, 03:58 AM
Joined Sep 2012
677 Posts
Last night, I finished the underside with WPU/Spackling mixed. I also started experimenting with the right thinners for my cheap artists acrylics. I found that windolene (windex) did a remarkable job. My cheap airbrush I recently purchased, has a much larger nozzle and handled the thinned acrylic perfectly. I gave a light coat to the upper surface, but before I spray it properly, I'm still working on getting a decent join between my canopy and fuselage pieces, which I'm hoping to do tonight....
Old Oct 31, 2013, 06:15 PM
Joined Sep 2012
677 Posts
First few coats, a little sanding still required in places. I found that mixing 40% ethanol, 10% windex and 50% paint works well and dries quickly too. Canopy is just rested on top for now, I need to complete the cockpit
Last edited by Clickety; Nov 01, 2013 at 05:04 AM.
Old Nov 02, 2013, 04:55 AM
Joined Sep 2012
677 Posts
Just had a few moments to upload my finishing guide, its a work-in-progress, and I will substitute some of the proto-images when the gray ghost is complete- its about 60% complete, but I thought it might be of interest. Any thoughts or suggestions welcome...

I've currently finished my cockpit, all painted and decalled, and have glued my canopy down using hot melt glue. I've also masked the 'upper edge window frame' and applied filler to the edge between the canopy and fuselage get a really smooth transition between the fuselage and canopy - like the original.

I will upload photos when I have a few minutes...busy weekend lined up....

ciao for now!

Last edited by Clickety; Jan 26, 2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old Nov 06, 2013, 03:42 PM
Joined Sep 2012
677 Posts
been a busy bee, but made some progress. I've finished painting it, and I'm applying decals and drawing panel lines over the next few days. I'll upload when finished so as not to spoil the final effect!!
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:54 AM
Joined Sep 2012
677 Posts
Had a funeral to attend and a weekend away, will try to finish and upload pics this week.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 03:47 PM
Joined Sep 2012
677 Posts
Nearly there

Got a few odd little jobs to do on it but I couldn't wait to show some pics! The underside needs panel lines adding etc
Old Nov 14, 2013, 09:51 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2002
423 Posts
Beautiful!

But noticed an oops with the markings. The stars and bars on the right side of the fuselage and the top of the wing are pointing the wrong way. The star top always points up, like on the left side. And on the wing, the top point always faces forward. Other than that it's absolutely beautiful.
Caddguy6 is offline Find More Posts by Caddguy6
Old Nov 15, 2013, 02:21 AM
Joined Sep 2012
677 Posts
Oh dang! Well spotted. Easy to fix as they are vinyl cut... Thanks
Old Nov 15, 2013, 05:22 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2002
423 Posts
Glad those weren't painted on! Just an outstanding build.
Caddguy6 is offline Find More Posts by Caddguy6
Old Nov 15, 2013, 01:15 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,235 Posts
Clickety,

Thank You for the time and effort you put in on this project. It's an awesome build. Best of luck with the flight testing!

Ksqm
ksqm is online now Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Nov 15, 2013, 01:18 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,273 Posts
I believe that this plane needs to be sent across the pond in the spring in order to complete a thorough North American flight test programme

Amazing effort and results ... one of the best RCG threads
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Nov 15, 2013, 03:53 PM
Joined Sep 2012
677 Posts
Thank you all so much for your support and encouragement guys I really appreciate it. Next step is to repair the proto to complete the cg experiments which is well underway. I've also almost finished cutting another set of parts for the black widow edf version which I'm optimistically trying to complete before January. Will also take more pics of the ghost hopefully tommorrow when I finish the underside. Thanks again - can't wait to see the North American trials in spring
Old Nov 16, 2013, 07:57 AM
Joined Sep 2012
677 Posts
I took the model into the garden for a few photos. I held it in the air and my daughter photographed it, I then edited out my arm so that you can see it 'flying'.

I hope the actual flying photo's will be as sharp!