Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:00 AM
Joined Nov 2012
190 Posts
Discussion
Spirit E II

Hi folks
I have just purchased one of these from SUSA
http://www.soaringusa.com/Spirit-E-II.html
Can someone advice me how can I turn this into a beast by not gaining too much weight. I was thinking Neu 1110/1y/6.7 as they recommend but I've been reading some interesting stuff about pylon folders direct drive motors. Do you think this is too crazy to equip this full carbon wing with such power? The only thing I would be worried is the front of the fuse where motor is mounted. the canopy is too long and I'm not sure if such weakness would affect torsion strength by high power motor. I think smaller diameter props with high pitch probably wouldn't have same effect as the high diameter props. Just a thought. Maybe some of you more experienced can put me in the right track.
Any comments appreciated.
vil64 is offline Find More Posts by vil64
Last edited by vil64; Feb 16, 2013 at 02:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:53 AM
Cumulus Altimus
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,444 Posts
i do have the same plane have not start the build 1110/6.7.1. but looks like no one hear has played with it.
Ben
FASTBEN is offline Find More Posts by FASTBEN
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:52 AM
Brazil, MG, Belo Horizonte
Joined Oct 2006
483 Posts
Spirit II E motor recomendation

Hello,

I have a Alex xxl, the big brother (2,5m wing) of your spirit, and I use this motor here on 19x8 or 18x10 CFK

http://www.reisenauer.de/artikeldetails.php5?aid=1457

This motor is all you need on 16x10 CFK!

http://www.reisenauer.de/artikeldetails.php5?aid=1457

Those motors are not cheap but fit nicely the skinny noses, and pull very low amps...

Good luck!

André
Jebera is offline Find More Posts by Jebera
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:34 PM
Joined Nov 2012
190 Posts
Thanks Andre, I was considering that Hyperion as well but what I have in mind, is to go for smaller high pitch folder with higher rpm's. I'm thinking to make this plane more multipurpose. Thermals slow flying, aerobatics, fast pylon like passes etc.. if you know what I mean.

Ben, you are the only person I know that owns this plane. Maybe I shouldn't experiment and go for what's recommended. The truth is, it's not as well known as Typhoon, so not many guys would know the set up.
I think it's much better made than typhoon.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:27 AM
Cumulus Altimus
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,444 Posts
one of the reasons i bought this plane was if it is anything like my old spirit it will be a great addition,i had the V-tail with nosecone powered by Hyperion very fast and i regret selling it to a frind.
Last edited by FASTBEN; Feb 17, 2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:24 AM
Joined Nov 2012
190 Posts
Hi Ben
It looks like that the old v-tail version had a chubbier fuse with more room. This new one has a very slim fuse, so I wonder about the power set up. Looks like 3 cell 2200mAh will fit OK but you won't get 4s. Seems like a lot of work overall. Let us know what set up you are planning.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:22 AM
Cumulus Altimus
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,444 Posts
yes the fuse was larger but 3s was the best could fit.on the new one my worry is the boom too narrow.i have all the gear ready 1110/1y/6.7.1 cc100L may be able to fit a 4s but i have not chcked.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=spirit+ii
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:10 AM
Joined Nov 2012
190 Posts
Hmm, that break doesn't look good. I tried the flex of the fuse but it really seems strong enough. Problem is, you will never know exactly what happened to that poor guy. I wonder what power plant was he using.
All I can say, it's a very pretty looking glider and looks fast but everything has limits in my opinion. I was initially thinking to put same motor as you with smaller high pitch folder for higher speeds but maybe this is not meant to be a rocket after all. They advertise this to be a hotliner- warmliner, so I'm not so sure.
I wonder if there's someone else in these forums who happens to have one. I just want to hear something positive about it.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:02 AM
Cumulus Altimus
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,444 Posts
same hear,so i will build it soon.