HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:47 PM
United Kingdom, England, Lancs
Joined Jul 2012
113 Posts
Build Log
Veron Skylark

Hi All
before I start teaching the youngest and eldest to make this 20" rubber job i thought Id better make it myself so here it is, put togetherer over a couple of nights.

as you can see very basic butI had some difficulty bending the 1/16 sheet over the front part of the ribs no matter how many clamps I used. I suspect I should have used softer sheet of soaked the leading edge or something. to allow somewhere for the tissue to stick too I added a couple of extra 1/16 cross members and moved one of the wing supports to its proper place after I'd eroneously stuck it between the two other formers rather than where the leading edge comes to rest with the wing on.

Anyhoo Its done now, will fit the motor and balence tomorrow as I'm pooped!

Its a bit heavier than intended as I covered the top wing partly to make it prettier but mainly to strenghthen it as i had rather over sanded it to get it to bend.

The motors 6 x 14 inch strands of 1/8 tan.

ATB

Tom
Froglube is offline Find More Posts by Froglube
Last edited by Froglube; Feb 02, 2013 at 09:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:21 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,523 Posts
Should be a great starter for the kids Tom, with potential to produce satisfying flights. It is great to see youngsters being encoursge to learn basic modelling skills - they will probably lose interest when "other attractions" rear their heads later, but hopefully in later years they will remember the fun they had, do some building and pass it on in turn.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:14 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
618 Posts
When trying to curl balsa sheet into an airfoil section, you can dope the underside and when that's dry, wet the top surface and it will curl naturally. Place a strip of balsa under the sheet to hold the curve and weigh down the edges. Leave to dry overnight and then dope the top. Works for me. Gary
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:38 PM
United Kingdom, England, Lancs
Joined Jul 2012
113 Posts
Cheers for that, will try when we get that far, been out all day today so not had a chance to settle down and start them off.

ATB

Tom
Froglube is offline Find More Posts by Froglube