Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 15, 2014, 07:27 PM
United States, NY, Manhasset
Joined Jul 2011
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightpunch34 View Post
Fair play to you chris,that's some awesome flying right there.... i'm loving the elevator modd you done,i'm on route to your blog to look at the modds,might have to copy that one myself
Thanks Dan !!!

Your best bet is to move the servos to the tail, because even with the increased throw you are going to need to distribute the weight further from the CG line to get a KE spin going. The easiest way to do that is to move the servos. It will give you more precise control of the elevator and rudder as well. It makes a big difference.

The quicker way, if you are in a rush to just get it done, is to just put 28 grams on the tail and cut some foam around the elevator hinge line to get more throw potential. That will do the deed, but not give you more precision.

In either event, you will need to put some hot glue on the plastic around the control horn on the elevator. Believe it or not, the base of the control horn, which wraps around the elevator, flexes off of the elevator's foam with elevator full deflection.
ChrisNYPilot is offline Find More Posts by ChrisNYPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Sport Cub
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2014, 08:38 PM
Joined Jun 2008
263 Posts
Up thrust?..

Picked up Father's Day present yesterday, a new Visionair. I had the cowl off changing the plug on the ESC, and noticed the motor had several degrees of UP thrust in it. First plane I've ever had with up thrust. I guess this is one reason people say don' t worry about the minimal elevator throw?
aclinml is offline Find More Posts by aclinml
Old Jun 15, 2014, 09:52 PM
United States, WI, Colgate
Joined Dec 2013
879 Posts
The minimal elevator is only in general flight mode. Turn on 3D and it moves huge.
f3honda4me is offline Find More Posts by f3honda4me
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:03 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,866 Posts
This plane like a lot of 3d planes, just does not need much elevator travel at all for normal aerobatic moves. The large amounts of movement are only for 3d where they act more as a brake.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:47 AM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarchuk View Post
I'm helping a friend with a VA and a DX18.

The only mentions I see in the thread about 'flight modes' refer to gear switch, which isn't labeled as such on the 18 so that went no further.

In the setup menus we found that the flight modes were set to Switch B by default. That's very cool.

Switch B is labeled with positions 0, 1, 2. They correspond in some way to Modes 1, 2, 3.

So the *Q* is, does Switch B, Position 0 start at Mode 1? That makes the most sense to me that it should.

This friend is an extremely accomplished pilot. My suggestion was to launch, try the different positions and see how the VA behaved, but I thought it's be a good idea to ask it here for a solid answer and to get the into on the record.

Thanks much.
Just experiment. The throws in 3D mode are MUCH more than in general mode so you'll soon see which switch is doing it. Hold full back elevator and move all the switches. You can then use the switch assigning feature in the DX18 (in the channel menu of my DX9) to set it to whichever switch works for you.
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround
Old Jun 16, 2014, 05:56 AM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNYPilot View Post
Thanks Dan !!!

Your best bet is to move the servos to the tail, because even with the increased throw you are going to need to distribute the weight further from the CG line to get a KE spin going. The easiest way to do that is to move the servos. It will give you more precise control of the elevator and rudder as well. It makes a big difference.

The quicker way, if you are in a rush to just get it done, is to just put 28 grams on the tail and cut some foam around the elevator hinge line to get more throw potential. That will do the deed, but not give you more precision.

In either event, you will need to put some hot glue on the plastic around the control horn on the elevator. Believe it or not, the base of the control horn, which wraps around the elevator, flexes off of the elevator's foam with elevator full deflection.

Nice one,that's a great modd you done there with the servos,for now i havn't had a chance to play with my Visionaire,but all i can say is last time i went at it i see there is a great gain to be had with the throw once you upgrade the radio say from a DX6 (which i have only always flown my VA with) to a DX9, well i can get 100percent travel and dual rates with the DX6 but with the DX9 i can get to 125percent....

Now only further question is how will the servos like this extra travel.....mmm.....

In any case i am going to try this first and have a test flight.

-Dan
flightpunch34 is offline Find More Posts by flightpunch34
Old Jun 16, 2014, 05:59 AM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,312 Posts
PS chris,

thanks for that help RE the modds...i know at some stage i'm going to try that for sure!
flightpunch34 is offline Find More Posts by flightpunch34
Old Jun 16, 2014, 05:16 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,459 Posts
My VA won't bind with my DX9. I inserted the bind plug, connected the battery, the Rx light started flashing. I turned on the DX9 in bind mode. I got one beep and then three beeps and the Rx light went out and nothing. Think my Rx is defective? That's what I'm guessing. If that's the case, I will probably replace it with a cheaper six channel non as3x Rx. By the way, I have owned my VisionAire for months so I'm probably out of luck in the warranty dept..

Update:

Called HH. They said send it to them for evaluation.

As a last resort I created a new model and viola, it works again. Looks like the old model file was corrupted.

Hope my experience helps someone here.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Last edited by J_skaggs; Jun 17, 2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 06:40 PM
United States, UT, Toquerville
Joined Sep 2012
238 Posts
Has anyone tried putting the as3x from this bird into a 3d balsa plane? It would be awesome if it worked
orangephoner is online now Find More Posts by orangephoner
Old Jun 16, 2014, 09:02 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,783 Posts
No but I have mine in an F20 EDF jet and it works well.
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:15 AM
United States, UT, Toquerville
Joined Sep 2012
238 Posts
I've been really wanting to put one in my 3dhs edge 540. Just nervous
orangephoner is online now Find More Posts by orangephoner
Old Jun 17, 2014, 07:38 AM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangephoner View Post
Do it. It can't hurt you or the plane. The only drawback is that you'll need to learn to use the Horrible Miserable 'blinkie light user interface' to adjust settings.

Better yet get a KK. LCD user interface and 2.1 has self level.

Better yet get a CC3D or Revo. Those require PC interface so you need to bring a laptop or notebook to 'field adjust,' but they are the platinum-class of flight controllers.
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Jun 17, 2014, 09:13 AM
Joined Jan 2007
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangephoner View Post
have you read?
bubbleman is online now Find More Posts by bubbleman
Old Jun 17, 2014, 09:19 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,783 Posts
ChrisNY - can you post a couple pics of where you put the servos? I'm going to do this to my VA. I think it would help!
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:03 AM
Joined Jun 2008
263 Posts
Cg?

Where are most people's CG coming out on the Visionair?
Just put it together, and with the battery all the way forward, it is tail heavy at the manual's recommended CG point at 4 1/2 inches from the leading edge.....

Thanks
aclinml is offline Find More Posts by aclinml