HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:08 PM
If it flies I like it.
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2004
426 Posts
Discussion
What Testors paint matches Solartex red covering?

I need to paint a cowling to match Solartex red (not vintage red) covering. I asked Balsa USA and they told me Testors paint, in the small spray can, matches. But they could not tell me which Testors red is a a match, and Testors makes a lot of different formulations of red spray paint. If anyone knows which color/number of Testors paint matches, please let me know.
HotdogX is offline Find More Posts by HotdogX
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:27 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,834 Posts
I know it isn't Testors, but if you take a sample of the covering to Lowes, they'll do a pretty good job of matching it. They'll mix you up a small bottle of latex paint (semi-gloss, so you'll need a gloss topcoat if you need gloss) for about $2.50. Yes, you can spray it, if you don't mind mixing it with water (or clear Windex) and using a sprayer.

I got a custom sample to match the Cub Yellow Super Monokote of my wife's Cub, and it looks great.

CD
Captain Dunsel is online now Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:28 PM
If it flies I like it.
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2004
426 Posts
Captain,

I considered that, but not sure how well latex sticks to ABS plastic. Also, I need it to be fairly glossy. I don't have experience with latex on models - can it be made glossy?

Al
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:13 AM
Manchester, New Hampshire, United States
Joined Jul 2001
223 Posts
Al,

If you rule out the Testor's candy & metal-flake reds, plus the flat red, it looks like you only have 2 choices for spray cans - Bright Red and Red. If you have the Solartex, you could always bring a piece of it with you to the hobby shop to see which matches.

-Ken
kdhanson is offline Find More Posts by kdhanson
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:09 PM
Cromer,Norfolk, UK
Joined Nov 2006
2,505 Posts
Whats wrong with Solarlac? Its made by Solarfilm specifically matched to their colours, fuel proof and flexible?
MCarlton is offline Find More Posts by MCarlton
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:53 PM
If it flies I like it.
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2004
426 Posts
Ken,

That was my plan, but sometimes the color on the cap isn't necessarily accurate, so I was hoping to find out what number matches. On the Testors color charts, they have many formulations of red. My friend Asher Carmichael told me about a local company that will custom mix a single part urethane, so I will probably go that route.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:54 PM
If it flies I like it.
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2004
426 Posts
Solarlac doesn't seem to be readily available in the USA. Wish it was.