HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:18 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,929 Posts
Here is a link to a drone that is is being marketed in Canada. It takes aerial photos while flying a pre-determined pattern, and then the software stitches them together and creates digital elevation models. It is being marketed as a surveying tool, and is being distributed by Trimble, one of the largest surveying instrument companies.

Gatewing X100 official product video (2012) (4 min 34 sec)

It launches, flies the pattern, and lands by itself, and they say that no piloting skills are required. Because I am a surveyor, I have an opportunity to see one of these in action next week. I still haven't decided because it's a 3 hour drive each way and $1000 for the one day seminar.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:23 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Here is a link to a drone that is is being marketed in Canada. It takes aerial photos while flying a pre-determined pattern, and then the software stitches them together and creates digital elevation models. It is being marketed as a surveying tool, and is being distributed by Trimble, one of the largest surveying instrument companies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxnWmc0ZTvA

It launches, flies the pattern, and lands by itself, and they say that no piloting skills are required. Because I am a surveyor, I have an opportunity to see one of these in action next week. I still haven't decided because it's a 3 hour drive each way and $1000 for the one day seminar.
Be interested to hear your feedback on it if you do see it. it sounds a bit too good to be true from the marketing material, makes it sound a bit too easy and simple.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:34 AM
Joined May 2010
958 Posts
$1000 to come see them sell you a product? Damn. I need to look at other careers.
Deadstick 8409 is offline Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:21 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadstick 8409 View Post
$1000 to come see them sell you a product? Damn. I need to look at other careers.
Yes that is a scary concept. It is an example of the arrogance you can display when you are the only game in town. Trimble has been number-one ever since GPS entered the civilian market, and they maintain their position by buying out any serious competition that comes along. Their recent purchase of the Gatewing (developed in Belgium) is a typical example.

There might be some good news here for US pilots. This very large and powerful company is probably putting on the pressure to make it legal for commercial operators to use UAV's for aerial photography, as it is in Canada. These things cost more than $100,000, and I'm betting most of that cost is software.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:25 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Yes that is a scary concept. It is an example of the arrogance you can display when you are the only game in town. Trimble has been number-one ever since GPS entered the civilian market, and they maintain their position by buying out any serious competition that comes along. Their recent purchase of the Gatewing (developed in Belgium) is a typical example.

There might be some good news here for US pilots. This very large and powerful company is probably putting on the pressure to make it legal for commercial operators to use UAV's for aerial photography, as it is in Canada. These things cost more than $100,000, and I'm betting most of that cost is software.
Most of the cost is probably to cover the R&D and certification costs I would suspect. Plus charging whatever the market will accept as since this is targetted at commercial it will be jacked up price wise.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Last edited by flitelab; Jan 19, 2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:46 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,822 Posts
From a marketing standpoint of view this industry is bazaar. Few think about regulations before they develop a system. They spend a boat load of money and then complain that there are few customers. Then there is advertising... Most don't have a budget, advertise in the wrong places (to their competition) for a month. Or, are afraid to show pictures of what they have because they will get ripped off by the Chinese at a 1/3 of the price (or less).

Boeing Insitu is a good example of paying way too much for a company with a limited customer base
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:45 PM
Joined Jan 2013
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryarnold View Post
Heres a link to a FOX2 story about a surveillance project a couple of local Michigan AP pilots (Kyle & I) did a couple of months back. Read the first paragraph.

http://wjbk.membercenter.worldnow.co...type=printable
Did that read homeland security? Wow. How did that work out for you what was the experience like? I'd be interested in seeing footage, too. Thanks!
JeraldoRonaldo is offline Find More Posts by JeraldoRonaldo
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:02 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeraldoRonaldo View Post
Did that read homeland security? Wow. How did that work out for you what was the experience like? I'd be interested in seeing footage, too. Thanks!
We were just at the right place at the right time. Crime and City Budget are huge problems here and some are willing try to try 'out of the norm' solutions. I went to some public safety pre-event meeting and met the right people to say yes.
Add to that a lot of people that would love to see citizens taking a more active role in making their own neighborhoods safe and...
Everyone in public safety was very positive and supportive (and curious too).
The actual fly flying was minimal. it rained all 3 days and the winds from 'Sandy' remnants were gusting to 45mph. Still we flew and had a ball. We were allowed to fly from a city rec center with a big field. Flying over the field gave us a safe way to look out over the surrounding neighborhoods not having to overfly anyone.
finally, the community was very supportive. no resentment at all towards drone patrols.
The only direction we got was to report anything we saw to first-responders. Our only goal was to not have a negative incident. safety first.
harryarnold is offline Find More Posts by harryarnold
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Harper View Post
Harry,

Interesting - did you have any written agreement with the city or any other organization?

Tom
No written permission. We were given cooperation in everything we asked for though. Quite a few officials stopped by to chat and look including Mayor Dave Bing (who shook my hand) who thanked us for our efforts.
With nothing in writing i realize i was taking full responsibility for having a safe effort and we did.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:39 AM
Lift is cheap - Drag sucks
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,591 Posts
Harry,

I was told by Jim Williams (FAA) that any contract or written agreement is the problem. Any contract makes it "commercial".

So, in your case it was 'recreation'. I fear that some fine lines are going to be drawn in the future.

Tom
Tom Harper is offline Find More Posts by Tom Harper
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:04 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,929 Posts
Quote:
I fear that some fine lines are going to be drawn in the future.
Yes, I fear it is going to happen here in Canada as well. There are some changes coming in April, and our safety rep says we will probably be going down the same road as our US neighbors.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:21 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Harry,

I was told by Jim Williams (FAA) that any contract or written agreement is the problem. Any contract makes it "commercial".

So, in your case it was 'recreation'. I fear that some fine lines are going to be drawn in the future.

Tom
Thats great news for the independent pilot. I never have a 'UAV piloting contract' when i fly. i assume full responsibility and go for it.
FYI I also flew a Romney campaign rally with 10,000 people and my camera downlink feeding a live jumbotron at the stadium. My gear was searched by secret service and I had an agent standing next to me as i flew.... That one was the most intense.
No written contract though, although I don't think the secret service were concerned about anything except safety. They were VERY INTERESTED in my rig, and i got to ask some "always wanted to know" questions too...

I am currently promoting safe & helpful uses for drones here in Detroit. Check out this commercial we did for Doritos...

2013 Doritos Superbowl Contest - Detroit Drone brings Doritos (0 min 31 sec)
Last edited by harryarnold; Jan 20, 2013 at 11:26 AM. Reason: added link
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:45 PM
Lift is cheap - Drag sucks
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,591 Posts
That's borderline. You may get a knock on the door one of these days.

Tom
Tom Harper is offline Find More Posts by Tom Harper
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:11 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,929 Posts
Quote:
That's borderline. You may get a knock on the door one of these days.
Indeed a knock on the door is inevitable. The only question is who will be knocking. Will it be an interested customer, the Federal aviation guys, the local mayor, or the morality squad?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:27 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
I'm of two minds on this topic, I think that the reality should be that commerical flying should be allowed with nothing more than bonding/insurance based on weight and other risk factors. The problem is that it's not just the FAA, but also the FCC that needs to adjust. If Commericial/AP ever does take off it may be a victim of it's own success as downlink channels could quickly become a problem.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide