HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:53 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,538 Posts
Complaint
Moderators are, perhaps, overly sensitive?

Is it possible that the moderators here are being overly deferential to members whose delicate sensibilities are violated at the drop of a pin? When I said, "Don't be dense" I was actually referring to the act of pretending to be unaware of the subject under discussion. This was most certainly a purposeful act on the part of the member to whom I was speaking.

What should I have said? Should I have used flowery verbiage to describe this member's pretense? Should I have said something like, "Don't pretend to be slow-witted" or some such? I wasn't insulting this member, I was calling him out on being dishonest about a subject that he'd sidestepped at least a dozen times up to that point. When he finally copped to the issue he then tried to pretend that he'd answered the question in previous posts, when in fact he'd always avoided the central question.

Look, some people just beg to be straightened out. I think I was using rather mild language and did not speak unkindly to this member. Why did I get a point for "insulting" a member who was pretending not to understand the nature of my complaint in the first place, despite reams of posts regarding the specifics?

Do you guys have some mechanism for handing out points to those who hedge and fudge and waffle and dance around the truth for weeks at a time? How about handing out points to those who outright lie? Is it strictly the words or (supposed) tone of a post that earns a point? What about the fallacious content of an intentionally misleading post? Why doesn't that earn a point?

I really, really like RCG and highly recommend this board to all R/C flyboys of all stripe. However, the moderators' somewhat inconsistent application of the ruler across the knuckles makes posting here a hit-and-miss proposition for those who write as if they are addressing other adults. Is it possible that you folks are more sensitive to slander than the users themselves are?
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:34 AM
Administrator
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2002
11,343 Posts
I would also warn
Quote:
"Don't be dense"

Would you like to appeal this point?
Jim T. Graham is online now Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:05 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,538 Posts
Yes, I would like to appeal. Those who have been following this discussion on the multiple threads involved would see plainly that the member I was addressing had been evasive and had intentionally misunderstood what I was asking about. I was tired of him trying to divert the direction of questioning away from the topic at hand and back at me. He was, in fact, being "stupid on purpose." I merely called him on it. The language I used was not intended to be insulting, but frank and honest. When somebody is actually being dense (by pretense) then what's the proper response?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:08 AM
Administrator
Joined Mar 2002
11,343 Posts
Link - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20435781
Warning - Trolling (Provocation)
Issue:
Quote:
Is it possible that the moderators here are being overly deferential to members whose delicate sensibilities are violated at the drop of a pin? When I said, "Don't be dense" I was actually referring to the act of pretending to be unaware of the subject under discussion. This was most certainly a purposeful act on the part of the member to whom I was speaking.

What should I have said? Should I have used flowery verbiage to describe this member's pretense? Should I have said something like, "Don't pretend to be slow-witted" or some such? I wasn't insulting this member, I was calling him out on being dishonest about a subject that he'd sidestepped at least a dozen times up to that point. When he finally copped to the issue he then tried to pretend that he'd answered the question in previous posts, when in fact he'd always avoided the central question.

Look, some people just beg to be straightened out. I think I was using rather mild language and did not speak unkindly to this member. Why did I get a point for "insulting" a member who was pretending not to understand the nature of my complaint in the first place, despite reams of posts regarding the specifics?

Do you guys have some mechanism for handing out points to those who hedge and fudge and waffle and dance around the truth for weeks at a time? How about handing out points to those who outright lie? Is it strictly the words or (supposed) tone of a post that earns a point? What about the fallacious content of an intentionally misleading post? Why doesn't that earn a point?

I really, really like RCG and highly recommend this board to all R/C flyboys of all stripe. However, the moderators' somewhat inconsistent application of the ruler across the knuckles makes posting here a hit-and-miss proposition for those who write as if they are addressing other adults. Is it possible that you folks are more sensitive to slander than the users themselves are?
Administrator
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:25 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,538 Posts
Oooooookay.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:27 AM
Administrator
Joined Mar 2002
11,343 Posts
Your post has been formatted and sent to the appeals forum. The forum owner will look at your appeal.

Here is more info on how appeals work:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1551788
Administrator
Old Feb 07, 2012, 11:32 AM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Nov 1998
5,405 Posts
Of course you want to tell other people not to be "dense" but what if they start telling you not to be dense? How would that feel? Suppose everyone did the same thing.

Just edit your post and remove that part. That's all the moderator is asking for.

Jim
jbourke is offline Find More Posts by jbourke
Administrator
Closed Thread