HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:57 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
808 Posts
Ok I went with the Omega motor and a 12 x 6 prop. Castle ice lite 75 ESC. Looking for battery recommendations? I'm not looking for speed but to learn pattern. Don't care about 3d stuff.

Guess two options 4s 2200mah or 4s 2650mah both 30C. Skylipo and Gensace.

First few flights will be just getting used to it. Any thoughts?

Robert
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:10 PM
Certified Wingnut
Delta BC
Joined Jul 2008
356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingconsulting View Post
Ok I went with the Omega motor and a 12 x 6 prop. Castle ice lite 75 ESC. Looking for battery recommendations? I'm not looking for speed but to learn pattern. Don't care about 3d stuff.

Guess two options 4s 2200mah or 4s 2650mah both 30C. Skylipo and Gensace.

First few flights will be just getting used to it. Any thoughts?

Robert
I use the Omega 130, APC 11x7 prop, and 4S 2650mAh bats. I set my timer to 6 min. I fly 3/4 throttle most of the flight. Never tried a 12x6.
Lance
LanceMc is online now Find More Posts by LanceMc
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:33 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
808 Posts
Thanks Lance. I'm planning on picking up an 11 x 7 also to see the difference. Will probably go with 2650mah I'm thinking.

Robert
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:10 PM
Marietta GA.
Joined Jan 2011
332 Posts
I`m using your same setup, but with a 11x7..I like 3000s in mine..I ike to fly it wide open and it just burns through a 2650., but I have those as well...either one.
mazjag is offline Find More Posts by mazjag
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:36 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,319 Posts
I run 2200 and 12x6, gets me about 5min, will a 11x7 draw more power
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:25 PM
United States, AZ, Quartzsite
Joined Mar 2002
1,630 Posts
Another: Omega 130, 11x7, 4S 3000mah. Get around 8 minutes the way I fly.
Carl Petersen is offline Find More Posts by Carl Petersen
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:57 AM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Jun 2012
116 Posts
Would these motor specs work for an Osiris 47" with a 3s Battery? They are out of stock on the Omega motor till Mid November..

Motor Specs

Weight: 140g
Input Watts: 375W
Outside Diameter 35mm
Lenght 42mm
No. of cells (lipo) 4
Max Efficiency 93%
Max Efficiency current 51
No Load Current(A) 7.4V 2.7
Internal Resistance: .0.029 ohms
Shaft Diameter 5 mm
Shaft Length 13 mm
KV (RPM/Volt) 1100KV
Turns (for cars) Poles 5
Max Voltage 14.8
Wire Size 0.25
Bullet Connectors Yes
Bullet Connectors Size 3.5 mm

Thanks for any advice in Advance,
Chris
cedwards72 is online now Find More Posts by cedwards72
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:56 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,812 Posts
This is what I have been flying on 3s:
http://www.modelmotors.cz/index.php?...e=10&line=GOLD
Greg Beshouri is offline Find More Posts by Greg Beshouri
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:39 PM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Jun 2012
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Beshouri View Post
This is what I have been flying on 3s:
http://www.modelmotors.cz/index.php?...e=10&line=GOLD
Thank you so much.. This gives me a better idea of what I am working with motor wise...
Much appreciated!!!

Chris
cedwards72 is online now Find More Posts by cedwards72
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:16 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedwards72 View Post
Thank you so much.. This gives me a better idea of what I am working with motor wise...
Much appreciated!!!

Chris
My pleasure. This set up is light and works real well with 3S 3000maH batteries.
Greg Beshouri is offline Find More Posts by Greg Beshouri
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:22 AM
Marietta GA.
Joined Jan 2011
332 Posts
Does anybody use aileron differential on the Osiris? I`m trying to get better at setting these kinda planes up and never messed with that much...thx..Jason
mazjag is offline Find More Posts by mazjag
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:48 AM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
997 Posts
mazjag,
First, You have to determine if your Osiris needs any aileron differential. I usually do the test on a 45 degree upline, going straight away from me. Try for a calm day, so that wind isn't a factor. Start by rolling the plane, Either to the left or to the right, Make sure that your aren't feeding in elevator, you just want to use ailerons. If you are rolling to the right and the plane pulls (yaws) to the right , You need to reduce the down throw. (Not enough differential)

If the plane rolls (yaws) opposite of the direction of the roll, You need to increase the down throw. (too much differential) If the plane stays on the same heading and neither pulls (yaws) to the right or left, You don't need any differential.

I don't know what radio that you are using, But most of the computer radio's have a differential mix that you can use. Off hand, I can't remember what % of differential I have in my 47" Osiris. I think that its around 6%.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:04 AM
A witty saying proves nothing.
Joined Jan 2007
3,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
If you are rolling to the right and the plane pulls (yaws) to the right , You need to reduce the down throw. (Not enough differential)

If the plane rolls (yaws) opposite of the direction of the roll, You need to increase the down throw. (too much differential) If the plane stays on the same heading and neither pulls (yaws) to the right or left, You don't need any differential.
J
Isn't that exactly backwards? The down going wing is the one to have it's lift vector rotated forward by the roll, and the up going wing's vector is rotated backwards, resulting in yaw away from the direction of roll.

The amount of adverse yaw depends on the speed of the airplane (more adverse yaw at low speed) and the load factor (G) (more adverse yaw at high load).

When you add differential there can also be a pitch effect. Adding more up going aileron than down can produce a pitch down effect when you only want roll.

My Osiris rolls pretty axially with no differential, and until my perception and left thumb get smart enough to notice and correct any adverse yaw that does occur, I'm sticking with no differential.

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel
Last edited by kcaldwel; Oct 21, 2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:07 AM
Landings are not optional
Van Nuys, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,805 Posts
Check this trimming chart out, it's been very useful for me: http://www.wtp.net/DBEST/trimchrt.html
DeuceTrinal is offline Find More Posts by DeuceTrinal
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:01 PM
A witty saying proves nothing.
Joined Jan 2007
3,569 Posts
If I read that trimming chart correctly, it is saying the same thing as Jim. I've never seen that before, and I struggle to understand how it would work - maybe it does?

There are certainly sites that say the opposite:

"The way I do this is to establish the model in a true vertical climb, of course by now your model will hold that vertical line with no correction! Now perform a half roll. You will probably find that the model has yawed off line. Use the rudder to correct the yaw back to the vertical. Which way did you move the rudder? If you moved it in the same direction as you rolled, then more differential is required i.e. more travel on the up going aileron. If you moved it the opposite way then less is required. So if you roll to the right and correct with right rudder then increase differential, roll to the right and correct with left rudder, less differential. You will probably find that a few adjustments are necessary before you find the correct setting. Again please note that a computer radio makes this task a simple one. If you don't have that luxury, to do this by altering your control linkage geometry will be time consuming."

http://www.wimbornemac.org/articles/...for-aerobatics

Chasing aileron differential seems like a mugs game in any case. It will depend on the airplane speed, and load factor (different result on a 45 degree up line than vertical or level). And differential can effect pitch trim with aileron commands. "Triangulation Trimming" doesn't even mention it as far as I can see:

http://www.hebertcompetitiondesigns....ming.aspx?ID=6

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel