HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2011, 03:32 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,371 Posts
Discussion
30mm EDF He162 from Dollar Tree Glider

Thought I'd post a few pics of the wannabe 30mm EDF He162 from a Dollar Tree foam glider kit.

I chopped off the original tail feathers and made new ones from Dollar Tree's foam sheet.

The swept wings are glued on backwards and reversed side to side. There's enough thickness to get the correct airfoil shape.

The nacelle is from Dollar Tree foam sheet wrapped around a form and edge glued.

Receiver - DSM2 clone from Target Hobby.

Fan - 30mm blue housing and GWS 6 blade from HK

ESC - HK 6 amp

Motor - Turnigy 1220 brushless inrunner from HK

Battery - 2S 180 mah built from Zippy bulk batteries from HK
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2011, 01:23 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,194 Posts
I like where this is going!
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old May 03, 2011, 10:52 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,371 Posts
NC,

You've heard of stand-off scale. We're gonna call this one stand-way-back-and-squint-your-eyes scale.

Been wanting to model this one for a while. Had several starts in different scales, printing plans, up scaling Paper Models. This is the first one to actually get anywhere near completed.

I saw these gliders at the Dollar Tree- don't know if you have them in OZ- and thought it'd make a good 30mm airframe. And after a little closer inspection realised with the swept wing flipped front to back it resembled a Volksjäger.

I glued the fan on and added a little paint to get an idea how it will look.

And, since you're looking, how much should this thing weigh when done? Also, do you think V-tail or elevons for control?

g
Old May 03, 2011, 05:32 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,194 Posts
Wow! Squinting really works well with this model!

It looks like you're going to hit over 100g's on it. V-Tail works well but won't let you roll very fast.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old May 04, 2011, 06:54 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,425 Posts
I would try and keep it as light as possible. Certainly under 100g. Every gram counts on these tiny jets!
Also I would shape the leading and trailing edge of the wings to make a smooth airfoil shape.
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Old May 04, 2011, 07:18 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,371 Posts
Thanks both of you. I set everything on the scale and it's over 100g so intend to address that. Is there a particular weight I should be shooting for?

I'll work on the airfoil as well. That'll shave a few g.

I'm putting the servos in the wings and am gonna try it with elevons.

g
Old May 06, 2011, 12:19 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
Thanks both of you. I set everything on the scale and it's over 100g so intend to address that. Is there a particular weight I should be shooting for?

I'll work on the airfoil as well. That'll shave a few g.

I'm putting the servos in the wings and am gonna try it with elevons.

g
umm I would think with your 2s 180 lipo you should shoot for 60grams little over half your weight - my 2S 30mm scratchbuild barely flies @ 62 grams no aerobatics but stays up (just barely)
elvill is offline Find More Posts by elvill
Old May 06, 2011, 04:49 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,371 Posts
Well here it is finished. But well over 60g-65g. I should have studied up a bit more on 30mm EDF before starting.

The dotted line on the second image is where I'm gonna perform the bellyectomy.

I think I'll go ahead and toss it once before I begin surgery for the 'elluvit.

Thanks for the guidance, y'all.

g
Old May 06, 2011, 11:41 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvill View Post
umm I would think with your 2s 180 lipo you should shoot for 60grams little over half your weight - my 2S 30mm scratchbuild barely flies @ 62 grams no aerobatics but stays up (just barely)
My 30mm EDF weighs 71g and flies very nicely. Fast and loop capable, no problems. I think you could go up to 80g but you would want a fairly low-drag airframe to compensate. You could probably even go 100g if you had the right kind of model built to DLG standard. ie. ultra low draw, smooth skin, low frontal area, etc.

You may as well see how it goes as is so that you get an idea of what to aim for if you decide to build something different. It's all about experimenting and learning, isn't it?
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Old May 07, 2011, 08:35 AM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,638 Posts
Looks good. I've wanted a Salamander since I saw the cave where they built them. Shoot for 2/3 thrust to weight so you don't have to fly full throttle all the time. I'm thinking the 1220 will draw more than the 180's can safely put out but don't know for sure. I'd do aileron elevator or tailerons.
I did a twin 30 biz jet with the dollar store gliders years ago, great cheap airframe. Looks like it can be bashed into more than a biz jet.
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross
Old May 07, 2011, 09:23 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,779 Posts
cool!

heres a link to the one i had...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894037
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old May 07, 2011, 09:44 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,371 Posts
Thanks, everyone. CN, those pictures are gonna be a big help on the next one.

g
Old May 09, 2011, 11:52 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,371 Posts
Tried to fly her but too heavy. Attempted to remove some weight by sanding the airframe but still way too much weight to fly.

I'm starting over but his time with quite a bit more knowledge going in.

I'm gonna try again with the same components. Just the components weigh in a 51g. I can shorten some wires and remove some heat shrink to recover a few grams but basically the airframe needs to be < 30g.

g
Old May 09, 2011, 06:59 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,779 Posts
i think mine was about 4oz, andhad about a 16" ws, maybe 17. better luck on the next one...
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old May 11, 2011, 09:43 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,371 Posts
I went to my local Dollar Tree to pick up another glider but they didn't have them. So, since I have a set of free flight plans in PDF for a Rapier L2 motor I'll be attempting to build it instead.

I scaled the plans up 125% to accommodate the fan. The formers will be from Dollar Tree sheet and the fuselage will be covered with 1mm sheeting ripped from the Dollar Tree sheet on a hot wire cutter. The flying surfaces will be cut from the full size sheet.

I'm shooting for an empty airframe of 25g to 30g which will give an AUW of ~ 75g - 80g.

g