HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2011, 08:27 PM
Waiting for my Medication
USA, MA, West Springfield
Joined Nov 2010
1,163 Posts
If you're using windows vista or windows 7 and having trouble using the print screen to capture your PID settings
Here's How:

1. Click on the Start Menu and start typing "snipping" into the search box.

2. Snipping Tool should show up in the Programs list above the search box, and you can click on it to start it.

3. The Snipping Tool window will appear on your screen. You may move it to an edge of the screen so it's not in your way, but it will also disappear when you start dragging a selection area.

4. The Snipping Tool assumes you want to create a new clipping as soon as you open it. Your screen will dim, and you can click and drag your cursor to select an area to copy. As you drag, the selected area will be darker, and surrounded by a red border if you've never changed the Snipping Tool options.

5. When you release the mouse button, the captured area will open in the Snipping Tool window. If you're not happy with the selection and need to try again, click the "New" button.

6. When you are happy with your clipping, press the second button to save the screen shot as an image file.
seadog1967 is offline Find More Posts by seadog1967
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2011, 12:32 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Or just install http://www.screenie.net/
and make it auto-upload to imageshack.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 02, 2011, 04:03 AM
BungeeMike
Honolulu Hawaii
Joined Jan 2005
48 Posts
Where can I get some team witespy stickers for my quad?
BungeeMike is offline Find More Posts by BungeeMike
Old Apr 02, 2011, 09:29 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,163 Posts
Well I had totally frecked out experience this morning. Went out in the yard to practice and trim out my quad. Played around for about 5-6 mins. touch and go. I'm hovering about 5 inches of the ground and suddenly the quad rockets straight up. Full power. I cut the throttle but it's still climbing above the trees now and I'm totally crapping my pants. No response to throttle. DX7 showing plenty of battery 10.8v for transmission. Only option now is to turn off TX and see what happens. Poof motors cut off and she comes down drifting a bit to the left. Lands three houses down in driveway upside down. I'm talking dropping I would say 5 stories maybe more. Walk over to it figuring the whole thing is toast. Holy Crap!!!!! Two props busted, rx laying on ground near body just separated from connections. Battery is toast separated and bulged, looks like two of the skinny standoffs holding the upper pc board came loose. Lost the nuts holding it but not broken. One of the Gaui protection frame aluminum rods bent. All in all the thing survived. Now if that doesn't say something about the strength of Vic20's frames I don't know what does.
Ok biggest problem What would cause it to go full power and not respond to throttle control???? Also have to hook up the rx again. Paul can you show me diagram or pic of what goes where on it??
Old Apr 02, 2011, 09:37 AM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,270 Posts
crazy story..

I have hear a couple people say the same thing happen to them... they are finally working on a fail safe.

This would have stop this problem.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10991

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11004 <----code writer posting

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8602

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...e#post16486692

I am just happy it did not go Bye bye forever

Did you have any camera on it? what would make radio noise? I swear there is nothing wrong with the code..

I know this is your first quad. Do not yet this weight you down from trying again
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you play with these settings it will to make the quad more "snapper" You might have too much expo on the board and on your TX. You need to play with both expos and find were you like it best

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here are all the connection you need..

witespy is offline Find More Posts by witespy
Last edited by witespy; Apr 02, 2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 09:41 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,163 Posts
Thanks Paul. Little upset and down but haven't given up. Just scared the hell out of me. Biggest thing is the quad survived from that height with basically just two broken props. I'm going to see if I have some nuts that small to re attach the two nylon posts holding the circuit board plate up. Also if you could pm me what goes where on the rx. I can't remember which connects to which. LOL Was trying to figure out what I did wrong and was thinking I just ain't cut out for flying these things. Glad (not really) to hear though some others had the same thing happen.
Will rebuild and fly again.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 10:05 AM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Good graphics and explanation of arming and disarming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
This should help bring things together. This site has added more photos and help info as of late. Very high quality visuals.

http://www.multiwiicopter.com/pages/multiwiicopter-wiki
Tony97 is offline Find More Posts by Tony97
Old Apr 02, 2011, 10:14 AM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Great video. It looks like auto level on that quad works great. I will keep trying it. Maybe my rate is too high. I turned down to a 9. If the wind make it drift, it is hard to fight the quad wanting to keep it level to keep in one spot.

I flew my Witespy quad in 12-15 mph winds and it did ok. Seems like a little choppy movements but that may be able to be dampened out somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witespy View Post
Sounds like your PID settings are off.... This will only happen if your PID settings are wrong. What are your PID settings?

Have you been changing them ? You should not change them too much unless you really understand what is going on, and test test test. If you change the P value,that means your going to need to change the I and D values too. It is a mathematical equation and your getting them all out of sync. So it will go "erratic" and will not be able to correct itself . They make all the difference in the world.

Go back to default settings ...

I fly in 25 + MPH wind No problem all the time...Both modes.

Here is me testing autolevel is 25mph wind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uSV-cChe9o

2. It is always a good practice to make sure any quad is level before plugging it in.... Do not be lazy
Old Apr 02, 2011, 10:15 AM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
I'll post one in a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog1967 View Post
Actually the best flight I had (consistent) was in high winds when it was blowing 19-23mph and I totally suck at this flying right now. Umm maybe it was the wind keeping it up for me. LOL But I'll say it was probably luck. I know the PID settings will vary between quads but why don't everyone post a screen shot of theirs.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 10:17 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,163 Posts
No camera nothing on the quad to cause interference.
this is how it is now. Just gotta replace a couple props.

Also three of these did snap at the base. Do you have any others I can buy or where I can buy them from.

Old Apr 02, 2011, 10:23 AM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Wow Seadog! I hope that doesn't happen to me.

I am going to post my screen shot, then go fly. I will post a video of my flight. I hope to show this odd twitch in all or a few motors. May be normal.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 10:31 AM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
My settings

Here are my screen shots. First one is how the quad came. Second is the only adjustments I have made based on recommendations. Went from 3.7 on pitch and roll to 3.5. Went from 14 on rate to 9.

I can't tell if it did anything. Maybe I will put pack, fly, then go back to 3.5 and 9 and see if it did anything.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 10:33 AM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,270 Posts
seadog1967.

I have some stand -offs here for you.

I can also supply you with some props if needed.

PM me with an address and I will pop in the mail for you today...

If that is all you need. wow....you did not brake a landing gear or anything? at least you crashed with grace .
witespy is offline Find More Posts by witespy
Old Apr 02, 2011, 10:35 AM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
I put 25% expo in aileron and elevator on my DX6i itself. Should I have left at 0% or inhibited and adjusted it on the software?

Does it matter where it is done? The only reason I did this is because my first flight I didn't know any better and had it in stable mode on takeoff and most of my first flight. I thought it was touchy so I put expo in on the transmitter. In normal mode it feels plenty soft like it could use a bit more response but no big deal. I am used to flying 3D planes and don't mind a bit of response.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 10:44 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by witespy View Post
seadog1967.

I have some stand -offs here for you.

I can also supply you with some props if needed.

PM me with an address and I will pop in the mail for you today...

If that is all you need. wow....you did not brake a landing gear or anything? at least you crashed with grace .
Well that's a testament to Vic20's frame. I seriously thought it would of been totaled from that height. It really was at least 5 stories up and landed on blacktop and small raised bricks next to the persons driveway. 10 mins later they came home. Yikes. earlier and their car would of had issues.
Will pm address. I have props thanks. Have been lucky not damaging them too much.