HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2010, 07:19 AM
Ride Blue
United States, WA, Sammamish
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
So just to ask - anyone have any good beginner 3d planes they are looking to part with?

I'm mainly considering getting some foamies, but might be open to some balsa if you feel I'd be able to fly it.

Thanks. NOAA has Saturday listed as "Partly Sunny Hi 65 F"
jholen is offline Find More Posts by jholen
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2010, 08:29 AM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,950 Posts
Jholen, I have a 38" DW Foamies Extra that might work for you. Just a slightly beat up hand me down! lol. But it might work for your purposes. You can HAVE IT! I might even have a power system for it for really cheap.

I'm about a 80% chance on Saturday, the weather reports' been improving.....
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Old May 27, 2010, 08:45 AM
Ride Blue
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopGun View Post
Jholen, I have a 38" DW Foamies Extra that might work for you. Just a slightly beat up hand me down! lol. But it might work for your purposes. You can HAVE IT! I might even have a power system for it for really cheap.

I'm about a 80% chance on Saturday, the weather reports' been improving.....
Sweet! If she flies I'd be interested in taking it off your hands if she isn't getting any love.

Any Kalteisen kits that anyone wants to part with? Was about to pull the trigger on one, but he temporarily closed up shop!
Old May 28, 2010, 07:19 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,680 Posts
Looks like 60 acres is closed for flying this Saturday. Sunday is still up in the air. This is from the e-mail I received from NWEF, Lon will send out an-e-mail Sunday morning letting us know if flying is available Sunday.

Just got the word that 60 Acres will be closed this Saturday to ALL use. They wanted to close this all weekend but I fought to try and keep it open for this Sunday. We will review the field conditions Sunday morning and let you know if we can fly that day. All the rain has turned some of the field into swamp land and even soccer would not be allowed to use the site the way it is.
This is from the e-mail I received.
Steve
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old May 28, 2010, 10:58 PM
Ride Blue
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
Darn!

What about Monday? Guessing most of us have it off - want to meet up anywhere other than 60 acres for some flying?
Old May 29, 2010, 01:47 PM
Gas Monkey Vic
Snohomish, WA
Joined Jan 2005
1,491 Posts
If we can use the field on Sunday I will go out. The weather looks best for Sunday but if its good on Monday Im game.
Vitter is offline Find More Posts by Vitter
Old May 29, 2010, 10:12 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,680 Posts
Just have to wait and play it by ear. Hopefully they'll find out early Sunday and send out an e-mail.
Steve
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Jun 02, 2010, 11:11 PM
Ride Blue
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
Any ideas for other fields? Seems like the NWEF field near Kirkland is going to take longer than originally thought.

Just sent in my app for AMA - so should have more options of where to fly now.
Old Jun 03, 2010, 12:28 AM
Sleep, Fly, Eat, Fly, Build
USA, WA, Maple Valley
Joined Jun 2009
275 Posts
What about Marymoor?
viperjody is offline Find More Posts by viperjody
Old Jun 03, 2010, 04:17 AM
Ride Blue
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
The $40 membership dues really don't seem that bad.

Maybe we should setup a date to do a fly-in there on one of the public flying days?
Old Jun 03, 2010, 11:55 AM
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,950 Posts
Saturdays are public days. I'm game for this saturday. Looks like about a 60/40 on the weather. If tomorrow's storm blows on through as forecast it should be good, if it is delayed at all it could be nasty.

Some things about Marymoor that I observed there.

good:
There is a nice crowd of 'whoa!' spectators which is kind of fun.
the field is manicured like Augusta National.

bad:
the sun position is bad. forget about a right to left KE pass, the sun at 2 oclock is brutal.
the pits are a mile away from the pilot stations
the flying area is another mile awa away from the pilot stations

also:
ama required

anyways, it's a nice field but not that great for small park models

used to be a lot of fly-ins around, but they seemed to have died over the last couple years, but maybe someone knows of one this weekend.
Old Jun 04, 2010, 12:57 AM
USA, WA, Maple Valley
Joined Jun 2009
275 Posts
The sun is not a problem if you bring sunglasses or a lot of flyers bring a piece of 1x2 wood with a round paper plate at the top and stick it in the ground.. works great. The pits are only about 100 feet from the cars.. it is not that bad... especially if you help other carry...
Old Jun 04, 2010, 08:37 PM
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,950 Posts
The paper plate thing is interesting, I have not tried that. I do have some new prescription sunglasses to try out.

So the weather report is looking mostly sunny, light winds. You guys have got to try this new DW Foamies 40" Juka, the ultimate 3d machine, it's pure joy.
Old Jun 04, 2010, 09:18 PM
Ride Blue
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopGun View Post
The paper plate thing is interesting, I have not tried that. I do have some new prescription sunglasses to try out.

So the weather report is looking mostly sunny, light winds. You guys have got to try this new DW Foamies 40" Juka, the ultimate 3d machine, it's pure joy.
I work graveyard so it complicates weekend flying - What time you aiming to be there? I'm thinking I could swing down there around 4pm at the earliest or so, though have to talk to the wife.
Old Jun 05, 2010, 12:14 AM
USA, WA, Maple Valley
Joined Jun 2009
275 Posts
FYI, there is a huge fly-in and swap meet tomorrow at the Seattle RAMS club in Auburn from sunrise to sunset....

http://www.seattlerams.com/Seasonal/Normal/index.htm